Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Where do you put catacomes?  (Read 3718 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Where do you put catacomes?
« on: January 04, 2011, 02:59:18 pm »

Exactly what the title says:

I want to build a personal little tomb for each dwarf but really I don't seem to know where in my fortress layout I should make it.

Seems our human way of looking at things being below ground doesn't make sense because damn it everything is that with dwarves. Furthermore, where, below ground?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you put catacomes?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 03:05:33 pm »

For my original 7, I put the entrance to their tomb either at the initial embark location (where the wagon is dropped) with a big shrine out front, or I put the entrance off of the main dining hall.

It looks like:

O   O   O
==========O
  O   O   O

=== - Main corridor.
O - Tomb, usually 3x4 except for leader's.

With the terminal tomb belonging to the expedition leader and being larger than the other six.  I also make each tomb out of materials the assignee enjoys.

The remainder I bury in a mass tomb with burial receptacles though you could easily turn it into a tomb tree.  Build it like you'd build housing, only with more statues and coffins and less beds and tables/chairs.

I also like to engrave tombs after a dwarf dies.  I feel like (completely unfounded) you get a better chance of the engravings reflecting the life and death of the entombed resident.  Don't forget to assign the tombs after you designate them.

HoaBinh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 03:06:10 pm »

I put mine a few levels below the housing for the common dwarves. That way they don't take up space on the main level and I can make sure it is the same size as the living quarters which means they are the correct number of burials.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 03:20:46 pm »

For notable dwarves I tend to carve rooms off a section of the caves as a dwarven version of the valley of the kings.

For the rest of them, I have alcoves lining my main corridors each with a casket awaiting the next moronic tragic death. These serve as both a reminder and a warning.
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 03:27:12 pm »

Most coffins I build in either veins I mined or the various caves I leave behind when my Dwarves Dig Deeper.

Essentially this turns the pathway to the actual Fortress in some sort of walk through a Necropolis.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 03:40:53 pm »

I dig complex winding, narrow passages that span ~2x2 embark squares.  There are many offshoots and small rooms here and these have a single coffin placed in each.  The entire area will be smoothed and engraved.  There will be no constructed walls or floors (I might let constructed stairs slide.  Doors at the entrance are okay.)  The coffins are all crafted with rock (preferably the same rock that was mined from the catacombs but that isnt easy to guarantee.) and I place occasional statues throughout the catacombs.  Coffins may be replaced with memorial slabs as necessary.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 04:29:45 pm »

I put the tombs in their bedrooms with them. This is a reminder to them that they're expendable.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 04:34:35 pm »

I mine out a magnetite cluster, put one coffin every second space in each direction and seal it off when its full.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 04:38:37 pm »

If I feel nice I build engraved burial halls with important dorfs having private rooms. Currently I just dump everyone in a coffin in a large hollow room, when one row is full another row goes up in front of them. The room is large enough that I hope I never fill it.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 04:45:35 pm »

It's fun to do fractal tombs.  Just like on the Bedroom Design wiki page.  Indeed, you can stack them up and have z-level after z-level of fractals!  I'll do that.  When the former occupant of a bedroom dies, he gets the tomb right below his room.  (This idea actually just came into my head)

Now just to work out what to do when the second occupant of the room dies...  Dig a new fractal?  Nah...  Stick him in a tomb underneath the manager or broker or something...  Or just make a random tomb in the empty space of the foyer.
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 04:50:58 pm »

The starting seven and all my important dwarfs (Slayers of megabeasts, slayers of armies, master gem cutters/setters, and metalsmiths) all get a Bedroom, dining room, study, and a tomb.

I normally construct the rooms into a four room chain, and spouses of children get their own coffins, and rooms
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 05:06:59 pm »

In 2010 I like to build my fort proper right near the first cavern layer, so there's usually a bunch of extra space between the main areas and the entrance. It's out of the way, it's not terribly important if there's a siege (compared to food and drinks), and it makes it faster to bury anyone who dies on the surface.

If my fort is going well, I carve out 3x3 rooms for everyone like this, with a rock coffin and statue:
Code: [Select]
╬O O╬O O╬O O╬
O Ω O Ω O Ω 
  Ѳ   Ѳ   Ѳ 
O   O   O   
╬O O╬O O╬O O╬
O Ω O Ω O Ω O
  Ѳ   Ѳ   Ѳ 
O   O   O   O
╬O O╬O O╬O O╬

No hallways, just a grid that keeps expanding over time. If I like one of them I'll knock out one of the wall sections and give them 4 rooms.

If my fortress isn't going so well, I use an empty magnetite vein and do double rows of coffins and statues, the way a lot of people do tables and chairs.

Code: [Select]
ѲΩΩѲ ѲΩΩѲ
 ѲΩΩѲ ѲΩΩѲ
 ѲΩΩѲ ѲΩΩѲ
 ѲΩΩѲ ѲΩΩѲ
 ѲΩΩѲ ѲΩΩѲ
 ѲΩΩѲ ѲΩΩѲ

I can't be bothered to find out what type of material everyone likes. Especially because for some reason Truetype dosen't seem to work in the thoughts and preferences screen (does anyone know why that is?). If they're important I'll try to make a nice tomb for them so they don't get bitchy, but that's all.
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 05:10:05 pm »

It's fun to do fractal tombs.  Just like on the Bedroom Design wiki page.  Indeed, you can stack them up and have z-level after z-level of fractals!  I'll do that.  When the former occupant of a bedroom dies, he gets the tomb right below his room.  (This idea actually just came into my head)

Now just to work out what to do when the second occupant of the room dies...  Dig a new fractal?  Nah...  Stick him in a tomb underneath the manager or broker or something...  Or just make a random tomb in the empty space of the foyer.
Only allow each room to be owned by one dwarf.  When an occupant dies, disallow the room from being used by any dwarfs but leave the furniture intact.  This way every dwarf will get a shrine to themselves as well as a tomb directly beneath their old bedroom.  Dig new fractals as needed. (it also urges you to dig deeper...)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 05:32:56 pm »

Depends of my current mood when I start digging, but always near the hospital.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 05:42:54 pm »

I put the tombs in their bedrooms with them. This is a reminder to them that they're expendable.
I like this. You can add value to their bedroom and tomb at the same time, highly efficient and very dwarfy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4