Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anu's Yellow Grossular  (Read 785 times)

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Anu's Yellow Grossular
« on: January 04, 2011, 11:50:35 am »

My fourth FB was a humanoid, and killing it was no problem like 4 others. Someone picked her heavy body back for butchering, but something was left mid way to fort, her grossular.

Looking at google, I find that it is some kind of crystal, gem or something crystallized that forms inside body. Anyone mind explaining what it is, and why it was left out? Just dropped on the ground.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anu's Yellow Grossular
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 11:55:32 am »

It is, indeed a gem. 

I've never breached a cavern on .31 so I'm not 100% on this, but I know that various mobs will drop stone and mineral remains instead of meat/bones/etc.  It seems entirely reasonable that such items would have possessive tags like this one.  I'm not sure how you'd process it, but it seems clear that the gemstone is the remains of the FB you killed and it can be used like any other gem.  From the look of it, it's already cut, to boot.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 11:57:39 am »

Forgotten Beasts can be made out of inorganic substances. That particular one was made out of Yellow Grossular, so it was basically a walking statue made out of an animate gemstone. When your dwarves killed it, it dropped part of the gem that made up its corpse.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 12:00:44 pm »

it goes in the refuse pile. forgotten beasts always left something behind (or at least for me). feathers and junk i couldnt use.
LOSING IS FUN!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 12:48:15 pm »

Inorganic forgotten beast remains - gem, glass, salt, vomit, mud, whatever - are always completely useless.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 12:55:16 pm »

So, they don't produce FB bone or teeth at all? Interesting. They can never be used in artifacts either I guess?

[off-topic]
tee-hee, "Anu's"
taking my !!pig tail coat!! now...
[/off-topic]
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 01:44:27 pm »

Some organic FBs can be butchered and their parts used for stuff, but inorganic FBs and titans never leave anything useful, but will always leave something, sort of like a trophy. For example, the mountain titan leech that almost did my fortress Gemspike in was killed in a cave-in, and his "scale" has ever since sat in my bone pile, blinking away like some prized gem.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 02:32:19 pm »

EDIT: Forget, I was wrong. It was a humanoid made entirely of grossular.
It did have wings though.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 02:34:00 pm by Bordellimies »
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 04:25:03 pm »

Just did a little bit of arena experimentation, and discovered something awesome: if you put the [BUTCHER_SPECIAL:<ITEM_TYPE>:<ITEM_SUBTYPE>] in an inorganic material or material template's raws, you can put inorganic remains to use.  For instance, I added [BUTCHER_SPECIAL:BAR:NONE] to METAL_TEMPLATE, and now I can butcher iron men (after removing the [NOT_BUTCHERABLE] token, of course) to get iron bars. 

You can do the same for regular stone by putting [BUTCHER_SPECIAL:BOULDER:NONE] in STONE_TEMPLATE, but as gems share that template you'll need to either move them to a new template of their own or add [BUTCHER_SPECIAL:ROUGH:NONE] to each gem manually.

Also, a word of caution: this is a little bugged in Adventure Mode.  You can butcher CORPSEs (i.e. body parts with more than one material in it), just fine, but not CORPSEPIECEs (i.e. body parts with only one material).