Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rotting pancreas?  (Read 5598 times)

manicmoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rotting pancreas?
« on: January 04, 2011, 07:16:00 am »

In my most recent fortress (Greatbeer) I took it upon myself to take on a forgotten beast who was lurking in my caves and had found one of the doors. Aril Ngethackitew was a giant hairy crocodile with mandibles, beware it's deadly dust! Disregarding the fact that my first succesful fortress (The Impervious Fortress of Doom) had succumed to a FB syndrome in which deadly blood spread through the entire population causing them to rot from their feet up I sent both of my military groups (a mix of archers and foot soldiers equipped with steel armor and weapons) deep into the cave system to take on Aril.

As soon as they engaged the monster he emitted an opaque blast of dust which stunned and numbed anyone who tried to approach him. Luckily he seemed to be hitting himself with the toxins as well. Occasionally one of the group of 17 militia would manage to break out of the daze caused by the inhaled dust and manage a hit on him. I decided to check on their wounds, fearing the worst, and to my horror the men were covered in blisters and their pancreas was rotting. I decided I had to break off the attack and cancelled the kill order on the beast. Three brave dwarves had perished, as Aril had managed to toss them around like ragdolls while they were stunned. Fortunately they were relatively new recruits to the second recently comissioned squad, so I hadn't lost anyone legendary.

Nine of the dwarves stumbled out of the caves and made their way upstairs, two had been too badly crippled by the forgotten beast and were left inside to perish. One of the dwarves, Kosoth, who's legs had been badly mangled managed to lift his steel battle axe one last time over the vulnerable neck of the wounded beast before bringing it down like a guillotine and ending Aril Ngethackitew's reign of terror. My attention now turned to the hospital, where the beds quickly filled up with patients. Luckily the doctors were in a mood to do some diagnosing and the blistered dwarves were promptly cared for. I watched the bed of the first squad's militia commander Cog Birdsarrow the Trusted Griffon, a Legendary Swordsdwarf and Fighter with 48 kills to his name. To my surprise, following his diagnosis his blisters almost instaneously cleared up. He sprung up out of his bed and headed to the barracks to continue training. I noticed however that his pancreas remains in a state of Advanced Rot and several other militia men are experiencing it. Fortunately it does not appear to be contagious.

This brings me to a simple question, will the loss of the pancreas cause any particular problems for the dwarves? They seem to be okay for now, several of them continuing to fight as goblin ambushes test the fortress for weaknesses, but I didn't know if this was going to lead to some kind of dwarven diabetes or something. The slayer of Aril has been promoted to captain of a new squad and given new quarters, though the doctor's doubt he will ever walk again (I have a sneaking suspicion they missed some classes in medical school).

Anyway, I'm new here and just want to add that this seems like a great forum and praise Toady for such a fun game that inspires some pretty cool stories.

-Dave (manicmoose)

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rotting pancreas?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 07:24:25 am »

Dwarven medical school consists of a goblin skeleton, molten lead, a needle the size of an ice pick, and maybe a cat or two.

Pancreatic function as part of digestion may or may not be in the game. I am sure that septicemia is in the game, and that's what your dwarves are probably going to die from. Let us know if they start getting Faint/Pale or if they start dying of hunger first.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 07:27:58 am »

pancrea is yet an another useless organ which'd act as an alternative target for your guts. Dont worry about it.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 08:38:28 am »

I have a similar situation with a rotten stomach, yet they carry on without any apparent permanent injury?

Perhaps they will starve in the future, who knows?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 08:43:50 am »

No, organs are not really functional yet. The breathing and blood pumping (lungs, heart) organs are vital, other are just for show. I fear the moment when they become functional (if ever). Then a single arrow through a stomach would kill a legendary warrior... Eww.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 08:47:12 am »

Dont make fun of my diabetes, I'm Urist Malkinson.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 09:12:58 am »

I'd be more worried about their livers.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 09:49:00 am »

Dwarves have so strong livers, that they are made out of rock. No need to worry.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 09:57:49 am »

But damage to the stomach or guts makes creature vomit and too much vomiting can lead to dehydration (last part i only read somewhere). So the stomach is in a way functional, no?

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 10:09:25 am »

A dwarf's liver is twice the size of a humans
Desu

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 10:28:34 am »

fixed

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 12:53:35 pm »

fixed
what did you change? O.o
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 12:55:54 pm »

fixed
what did you change? O.o
Struck the final s, making it "twice the size of a human".
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 01:48:56 pm »

No, organs are not really functional yet. The breathing and blood pumping (lungs, heart) organs are vital, other are just for show. I fear the moment when they become functional (if ever). Then a single arrow through a stomach would kill a legendary warrior... Eww.

Actually, a single arrow through the stomach wouldn't stop a legendary warrior, but once he'd left his battlerage he'd sit in the hospital slowly bleeding as his organs poison him from within, eventually dying a horrible painful death caused by sepsis.

So pretty much the same as if he'd gotten an arrow through his pinky finger now.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 02:13:08 pm »

Dwarves have so strong livers, that they are made out of rock. No need to worry.
Magma-safe, too.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.
Pages: [1] 2