Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Started in a collapsing underground cavern  (Read 7363 times)

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
Re: Started in a collapsing underground cavern
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2011, 07:58:04 pm »

Sheesh, man, this world is freaking awesome. The ground seems quite hungry, too. Armok's Stomach, I name it. Digests stuff randomly with heavy applications of assorted brews.
Also, glory to the elegant and fine-crafted links.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2011, 08:13:33 pm »

Hear, hear!

Once my current fort collapses from ghost-spam I think I'll start checking out Armok's Stomach in adventure mode. I may give my chosen race wings and flying before I do, however. I've always wanted to explore Hell in adventure mode, and could never find the demon forts.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2011, 04:43:20 am »

This thread is made of win. But one thing I don't understand, exactly what is causing the collapses and do they ever stop?

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2011, 05:04:41 am »

My brother's just had this too! He started an adventurer to get some stuff from an old fort, took one step in his starting town and WHAM: huge cloud of dust, you have discovered an underground cavern, you slam into an obstacle and blow apart. He has 31.18 and his world was unexceptional until this event.

I'm gonna see if he'll give me the save to take a look at.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 10:35:08 am »

man what's the name of that town where everything goes to shit?
Ithritemoth?
what does this translate too?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2011, 01:38:18 am »

Haa. I can't run this, but I'd love to see more screenshots.

Lyceq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2011, 07:53:27 am »

Sheesh, man, this world is freaking awesome. The ground seems quite hungry, too. Armok's Stomach, I name it. Digests stuff randomly with heavy applications of assorted brews.

Armok's Stomach, I like the sound of that. Very applicable to how my adventurers feel after falling in. I have yet for one to escape a pit after falling in, what with the crushing of bones, torrents of water, and pools of lava. Is that what molten rock is, Armok's digestive juices?

Once my current fort collapses from ghost-spam I think I'll start checking out Armok's Stomach in adventure mode. I may give my chosen race wings and flying before I do, however. I've always wanted to explore Hell in adventure mode, and could never find the demon forts.

Look back at one of my screenshots where I embarked to an area with an adamantine spire that reaches the surface. The hollow center is exposed and goes straight down to hell. Someone with wings would have no trouble reaching it from there. Good luck (with the demons and the FPS).

This thread is made of win. But one thing I don't understand, exactly what is causing the collapses and do they ever stop?

The collapsing is likely due to a bug, which I have yet to write up.  :-[ Sometimes the collapse happens next to my hero and I don't fall in. Armok has yet to miss on the second strike.

man what's the name of that town where everything goes to shit?
Ithritemoth?
what does this translate too?

It translates to Gerbil-equal. Not quite so impressive sounding, so I prefer to use the local tongue.

Haa. I can't run this, but I'd love to see more screenshots.

I'll see if I can get the in-game movie thing to work.
Mrs. Peacock is a man?!?

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2011, 02:51:30 pm »

Also, Ithritemoth sounds a little bit like Innsmouth.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2011, 03:19:45 pm »

Also, Ithritemoth sounds a little bit like Innsmouth.
So if you build on Armok's stomach you either get eaten by the ground or turn into a fish.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2011, 03:45:41 am »

Armok's Stomach, I like the sound of that. Very applicable to how my adventurers feel after falling in. I have yet for one to escape a pit after falling in, what with the crushing of bones, torrents of water, and pools of lava. Is that what molten rock is, Armok's digestive juices?

Go with "bile", it sounds cooler than "digestive juices'. :D

Look back at one of my screenshots where I embarked to an area with an adamantine spire that reaches the surface. The hollow center is exposed and goes straight down to hell. Someone with wings would have no trouble reaching it from there. Good luck (with the demons and the FPS).
I was thinking more that someone with wings wouldn't fall and die, maybe. If they weren't hit on the first collapse, and got off the ground.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2011, 01:34:16 pm »

hell yeah! posting to watch and try!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2011, 09:33:25 pm »

!!LIVE, THREAD!!!!!!! LIVE!!!!!!
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2011, 01:27:54 am »

heh. my computer is not happy with me for trying this. Couldn't handle it. :(
The new Dwarven Wings work well, however.
[/quote]

Sisidem

• Bay Watcher
  • Bleak are the gray clouds. Oh, how I love them so.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2011, 12:54:24 pm »

From the mouth of Dem, "Perhaps! Just maybe! It is NOT a bug! Perhaps it's a new type of HFS that Toady put in to keep us on our toes? Maybe these new regions are on a dying planet? Who knows!? I'm going to gen world with your params and see I get. We'll know if the ground collapses because my will likely explode."

*cough800megsoframcough*

Sounds very entertaining though!

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2011, 03:23:46 pm »

Someone with wings would have no trouble reaching it from there.
I'm absolutely trying this. What tags would I need to add to Bat Men (or whatever) to make them playable?
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4