Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Miasma woes...  (Read 2338 times)

Jachim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Miasma woes...
« on: January 04, 2011, 02:50:05 am »

So apparently I guess my guys found a forgotten beast and got some of the blood on their armor. No big deal until I decided to give my fortress a mass-bathing!

Currently about 10 dwarves are moaning and groaning in my hospital, spouting miasma like noones business, plus about 5 or 6 pets are also crawling around on rotten appendages.

Now for the question: Does the miasma eventually stop? I am walling in each bed right now to starve the suffering ones out of their misery since their feet are all rotten I doubt they'll walk again anyway. The pets though.. they're a bit more irritating since they keep spewing the crap everywhere they shamble.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Miasma woes...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 02:53:53 am »

Looks like the FB got a syndrome somewhere. Move everyone to above ground, which'd cause the miasma to stop altho they'd continue to rot. Btw, i'm interested in your save as reference data, can you upload it somewhere?
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 02:58:51 am »

So apparently I guess my guys found a forgotten beast and got some of the blood on their armor. No big deal until I decided to give my fortress a mass-bathing!

Currently about 10 dwarves are moaning and groaning in my hospital, spouting miasma like noones business, plus about 5 or 6 pets are also crawling around on rotten appendages.

Now for the question: Does the miasma eventually stop? I am walling in each bed right now to starve the suffering ones out of their misery since their feet are all rotten I doubt they'll walk again anyway. The pets though.. they're a bit more irritating since they keep spewing the crap everywhere they shamble.

I just had the same syndrome in my fort; after treatment, all affected pacients fully recovered. Dont give up on them! The doctors will extract the rotten tissues, and the sick will be instantly fully healed, only having scars left. The miasma stops as soon as the rotten stuff is taken out of the pacients.

Jachim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 03:00:12 am »

What of the pets? No one does surgery on them, and I can't kill them off. >.<

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 03:01:42 am »

all mine eventually died of infection (or suffocation, but that one was quick); they will be sprading miasma for a while till they die

doctors wont help them

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 12:05:59 pm »

doctors wont help them
...would be nice if animal caretakers could. :(

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 12:41:10 pm »

Yes, it would.

Also, I saw a baby producing miasma once. Seemed fitting.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Qracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 12:55:32 pm »

This sums up my current fort.

I built a large waterfall/decontamination shower in my anti-tantrum dining room, and it washed off huge swathes of forgotten beast/dwarf/elf blood.
As the entire fort uses this room, everyone walked through the piles of muck, and had their feet encased in forgotten-filth. Now half my fort is rotting from the bottom up.  Babies are rotten on every bit of their bodies as they slither through the filth.

Some of my dwarves only have rotten lips....

If a decontamination shower just makes the problem worse...  I'm worried about the future of this fort.

As a result of this though, I now have a burrow for children, babies, fishgutters and peasants, 16z levels above my fort.... on a retracting bridge.

Jachim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 03:57:49 pm »

Funny story... they decided to suture some of the wounded with adamantine strands. @.@

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 04:09:45 pm »

Wait why they don't use soap to clean the root?
Meh maybe im not good at the healthcare system
Desu

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 04:54:08 pm »

My doctors failed to save a single patient and i had alot of patients with rotten feet. Im waiting the bufix crunch very much. :/
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
  • It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 05:45:36 pm »

Both soap and animal caretakers are bugged in this version (or so says on the wiki).
"That is the most amazing thing I have ever read ever."
- Friend's reaction to Bronzemurder

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 05:48:16 pm »

Yeah, but soap still actually works as long as it's in a bag/box/chest in a hospital zone.
くコ:彡

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 05:50:51 pm »

I'm having fun with rot too at the moment (check my post in the one in a million moments thread for details). Basically you need a fast surgeon who can remove the rotten tissue before any but with the speed of the more deadly syndromes this might be well impossible. Oh well my surgeons is a high master, maybe he'll become legendary from this.

Update:
Gah this dumb surgeon starts from the top of body removing rot from the lips (well maybe it would rot through to the brain but still...). The soldier's status screen now has over 2 pages of swollen and blistering body parts... This ain't gonna end well.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 06:00:29 pm by shlorf »

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 08:48:20 pm »

Yeah, but soap still actually works as long as it's in a bag/box/chest in a hospital zone.

So then, no bins? I think one of my old (inactive but alive) fortresses has soap in the hospital, but they may be in bins.
"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.
Pages: [1] 2