Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This is a Boxey Thread  (Read 1399 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
This is a Boxey Thread
« on: January 04, 2011, 02:46:34 am »

Anybody else kind of glad that they did away with this whole subplot before it got too terrible?

Also, I just got the BSG: The Board Game: Exodus Expansion. It's pretty great.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This is a Boxey Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 08:59:36 am »

Bumping this to talk about the game of BSG I played last night:

Game ended after the first jump. We were doing Full Exodus without the Pegasus modifications (though we had Treachery and the Pegasus Crisis Cards in). The ship got shot to hell by basestars on both sides, though Starbuck and Boomer did a very good job holding off the raiders. All but 2 of our stations were damaged, including the Hangar Deck and Command. Immediately after we jumped into an asteroid field (we got the ship with no resources, huzzah!), Boomer tells Starbuck that she can repair the hangar deck so they can hop out in vipers (for those who are unaware, Starbuck always wants to start in Space, and in Exodus pilots can use their action phase to move Civilian ships off the board). So Starbuck, who has the current turn, uses an executive order on her.

Boomer immediately reveals as a Cylon with the 'draw 5 damage tokens, choose 2' card, chooses the 2 tokens needed to destroy the ship, and the game ends. Shortest game ever.

Also, the Ionian Nebula module is great, but it makes some really weird thematic scenes. In one game, Tory Foster went to Laura Roslin's ally card, drawing the 'Antagonistic' option, which is 'Debilitating Illness: Draw 2 Trauma Tokens'. One of these Trauma tokens was a 'Disaster', which meant Tory Foster was immediately executed. Apparently, Roslin's cancer had gotten so bad, that even people around her were afflicted.

In another one, most of the ship was damaged except for one square, and two civilian ships were on the verge of being destroyed by raiders. Since Command was out, Saul Tigh had no choice but to go to communications, even though Hoshi was there. The 'Antagonistic' symbol came up again, which, for Hoshi, is 'Emotionally Compromised: Basestar Attacks'. The one Basestar on the board immediately fires and destroys Galactica. Hoshi was so depressed, he sent targetting coordinates to the Cylons to destroy the Fleet.

Starbuck runs to the Hangar Deck to launch. Galen Tyrol sends her to sickbay. On her next turn, she draws the trauma token there and is executed. Tyrol's 'bad ability' is 'Bad Temper: Go to Sickbay'. Tyrol was in such a bad mood, he killed Starbuck.

In one round, 4 human players were executed, all in a row, during the first turn, after we drew 'Assassination Plot', 'The Circle', a 'Disaster' token, and 'Helping a Prisoner' all around the same time.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 02:53:39 pm »

I keep really really wanting to try this game.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 02:56:36 pm »

It does sound like a cool game.
Shoes...

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 04:16:42 pm »

It sounds like DF. But in space, with cards. Where can I has?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 04:17:32 pm »

At your local gaming store.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 04:17:57 pm »

Actually, I was thinking it reminded me of playing Paranoia back in the day. A play session wasn't complete without at least half a dozen people getting execcuted by their companions, often for no discernible reason. And then being replaced with a clone.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 04:19:02 pm »

Actually, I was thinking it reminded me of playing Paranoia back in the day. A play session wasn't complete without at least half a dozen people getting execcuted by their companions, often for no discernible reason. And then being replaced with a clone.

Definitely DF in space.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 04:25:50 pm »

The problem is that the game is, what, like $50?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 04:32:29 pm »

Standard fare for (good) board games nowadays. There was a thread where people were calculating the cost per hour for their board games. I'll ad up what I paid for mine:

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game - $45.00
Pegasus Expansion - $35.00
Exodus Expansion -$35.00
Total - $115.00

I haven't gotten a lot out of Exodus yet, since I haven't been to any big games' days at the uni yet, but if I take the $80.00 for BSG + Pegasus, we get (for just the games I play at our tri-weekly event):

Two games per day: Approximately 5 hours.
Five Games days per semester: Approximately 25 hours.
Two Semesters: 50 hours.
Average (Ideal) Number of Players: 5

80/50 = 1.60/5 = 0.32

So I've paid 32 cents an hour for the game thus far, not including the days I just play it casually at home. Not bad at all! Compare it to some of the video games that cost $60.00 on their own now, and only dish out 20-30 hours of entertainment (and even worse, when the first batch of PS3 exclusives were going for $80 and $90!).