Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What would you want in a roleplaying game website?  (Read 3931 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: What would you want in a roleplaying game website?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 01:50:08 am »

Campaign ideas, settings, GM software aids, other helpful stuff. And while we're at it, forums. Perhaps hosting of RPGs that are free/abandoned.
I fully intend to make available a repository into which people can place their campaign ideas, adventures, and custom settings. While I don't have plans currently to develop any GM software aids, I do plan to have a review section where people could post about and discuss the various software available on the internet, link to them, share files for them, etc. I will have forums, and I will consider hosting free and abandoned RPGs though I'd have to make -sure- they are free or abandoned.

Good ideas all, and into my notebook they go.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 07:08:00 am »

Campaign ideas, settings, GM software aids, other helpful stuff. And while we're at it, forums. Perhaps hosting of RPGs that are free/abandoned.
I fully intend to make available a repository into which people can place their campaign ideas, adventures, and custom settings. While I don't have plans currently to develop any GM software aids, I do plan to have a review section where people could post about and discuss the various software available on the internet, link to them, share files for them, etc. I will have forums, and I will consider hosting free and abandoned RPGs though I'd have to make -sure- they are free or abandoned.

Good ideas all, and into my notebook they go.

http://strolen.com/ is an interesting site where people submit settings, encounters, adventures, creatures and so on and so forth. Perhaps a source to borrow ideas from?
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 01:20:31 pm »

http://strolen.com/ is an interesting site where people submit settings, encounters, adventures, creatures and so on and so forth. Perhaps a source to borrow ideas from?
I'll take a look and make some notes, thanks. :)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 02:14:23 am »

I now have a coder/web designer and we're working together to make this a reality. I'm working with him to try and include everything discussed here, so if there's anything else you'd like to see that hasn't been mentioned please do so, or if you have ideas for specific implementation feel free to discuss them here.

My current planned feature set:

Game system reviews, custom content sharing, file sharing, forum, and active game support tools.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2011, 02:35:21 am »

This is probably a crazy idea that would never fully work, and if it did, it would be far less popular than expected, but perhaps you could get a small flash trinket that allows a user to lay out a set of pieces (letters and basic symbols over a layer of tiles) to represent a situation, and the pieces each can have a set of stats and info that appear off to the side/bottom/in a popup box when hovered over?

If it acted like a post attachment that was edited in the post/edit screen and multiple copies could be embedded in the post, it would probably be a great tool to illustrate what someone is talking about.
Eh?
Eh!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2011, 02:40:05 am »

This is probably a crazy idea that would never fully work, and if it did, it would be far less popular than expected, but perhaps you could get a small flash trinket that allows a user to lay out a set of pieces (letters and basic symbols over a layer of tiles) to represent a situation, and the pieces each can have a set of stats and info that appear off to the side/bottom/in a popup box when hovered over?

If it acted like a post attachment that was edited in the post/edit screen and multiple copies could be embedded in the post, it would probably be a great tool to illustrate what someone is talking about.
Would probably be a great addition to support play-by-post games. I'll write it down and see if its feasible.  :)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 01:34:25 am »

Had a meeting with my coder today and we hammered out some basics. I didn't bring up your idea Qwerty but I will do so next time. It is likely something that would go in a bit down the line, once we get basic services up.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 04:39:51 am »

This sounds like no small task here!

Qwerty's idea sounds great, however depending on the situation it may be better to use Javascript instead of Flash. It all depends on what your programmer is more experienced with and how propriatary you want to make the feature.
(If I where doing it, I'd probably use Javascript since I don't own Flash.)

Also, you've mentioned forums already... And I'd just like to shout "here be dragons!"
Don't jump too head on into forums. They appear to be a good early on site feature because they allow large scale (hehe, scale.. Dragons...) user interaction. However, from my experience, adding forums early on in a sites development can mean that you get bogged down by trying to intergrate features into the forums rather than features into the site.

I'm gunna be a bit cheeky here... Buuut... You've asked us for our ideas on this site! You've also told us some of yours. Is there anything that you've got established that you could show/tell us? (Like a little teaser.)
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 04:56:09 am »

This sounds like no small task here!

Qwerty's idea sounds great, however depending on the situation it may be better to use Javascript instead of Flash. It all depends on what your programmer is more experienced with and how propriatary you want to make the feature.
(If I where doing it, I'd probably use Javascript since I don't own Flash.)

Also, you've mentioned forums already... And I'd just like to shout "here be dragons!"
Don't jump too head on into forums. They appear to be a good early on site feature because they allow large scale (hehe, scale.. Dragons...) user interaction. However, from my experience, adding forums early on in a sites development can mean that you get bogged down by trying to intergrate features into the forums rather than features into the site.

I'm gunna be a bit cheeky here... Buuut... You've asked us for our ideas on this site! You've also told us some of yours. Is there anything that you've got established that you could show/tell us? (Like a little teaser.)
It certainly is no small task... it is rather daunting in fact. I was always told that with enough determination and enough money you can make anything happen, so we'll see. It's good to see people are excited about the idea though.

Re: Forums... We have that in mind and we're actually looking at integrating the forums into the site in some interesting ways.

I don't really feel comfortable spouting off about a bunch planned features which may not even make it in to the final design, (peter molyneux anyone?) or may be added in later on. We don't have anything I could show you right away as we just started, but one of the core ideas I really would like to see happen is the ability for independent authors to publish their gaming systems through the website, selling the books in pdf format and offering other content such as adventures and splatbooks.

As I said, it's all theoretical at this stage but we're making some progress on hammering out the framework.  :)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 08:27:12 am »

It got swallowed up when I posted it several days ago, but I meant to say that I consume more adventure modules on sites like this than anything else. Those things are great, even when they're not.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 04:31:19 pm »

If you're going to sell modules, make sure that part of them are free and that potential buyers have an idea of what the rest will contain.  I wanna see the quality of stat blocks, maps, character descriptions + RP guides, and plot summary things before I spring for a purchase.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 05:13:31 pm »

It got swallowed up when I posted it several days ago, but I meant to say that I consume more adventure modules on sites like this than anything else. Those things are great, even when they're not.

If you're going to sell modules, make sure that part of them are free and that potential buyers have an idea of what the rest will contain.  I wanna see the quality of stat blocks, maps, character descriptions + RP guides, and plot summary things before I spring for a purchase.

This is something I have planned, though content generation takes time and I'll have to work out the legal implications of publishing my own and other people's work (with their permission of course).

And yes there will be a selection of free content as well.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 07:25:31 pm »

Specifically, I'm saying that when people publish paid content to your site, it should be considered standard that they are expected to select part of their module--a couple pages or so--and make it a free sample.  Otherwise, I really don't think anybody is going to buy it, and they might not choose to do it themselves unless you compel them.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2011, 07:45:11 pm »

Specifically, I'm saying that when people publish paid content to your site, it should be considered standard that they are expected to select part of their module--a couple pages or so--and make it a free sample.  Otherwise, I really don't think anybody is going to buy it, and they might not choose to do it themselves unless you compel them.
I could probably make that an option, but I don't really want to mandate that part of their content must be put up as a free preview.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 07:56:43 pm »

Up to you, but coming up with strict standards and customs on the stuff you sell is actually a great way to set yourself apart.  If you want to sell things especially, you have to do it by building trust; people may be buying stuff that other users created, but they are buying through you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3