Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Most Heart Warming or Heart Wrenching Dwarf Fortress Moments~  (Read 21842 times)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most Heart Warming or Heart Wrenching Dwarf Fortress Moments~
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2011, 06:54:36 am »

My captain of the guard, mother of three, stumbled upon a snatcher outside and I told her to punch him, she did, she hunted him into a cage trap. As she was returning inside she walked into another snatcher who promptly stabbed his silver dagger in the lower body of the baby she was carrying and then ran off with it.  :'(

I'm now digging out a tomb for the entire family, as far as possible, and I'm planning to add a statue and a note to commemorate the baby (who might be back, but still) Poor Ineth Ablelgovos. Though oddly, Ineth was happy at being free when I checked her thoughts just before the goblin ran out of screen.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2011, 01:29:45 pm »

First seige.
LOCKLOCKLOCK LEVER
All dwarfs were saved, but my guard elephant and her babys were killed.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2011, 08:16:43 pm »

When I realized that my Master Speardwarf was married and had a daughter, I considered pulling him out of my vanguard squad. But, as I didnt have many good military dwarfs, I kept him. His wife then gave birth to another daughter. Again I considered pulling him but thought better of it. When a siege came, I sent my vanguard to the entrance with archers on the flanks. The master speardwarf was the first there and held his own against ten spear goblins and a troll. He parried and dodged each attack while dealing his own. Against 25+ goblin spearmen and numerous trolls my 10 squad vanguard fought. I lost five of them before the main goblin force routed but a lasher and swordmaster remained to excute my master sworddwarf who had charged out of the gate and immersed himself in the main enemy force seperate from the vanguard. My master speardwarf chased the retreating horde up the mountain, where they promptly rallied and attacked the lone master speardwarf. He was knocked down and injured. Unable to move due to pain. The goblins struck him again and again; each blow bringing him closer to death. His fellow dwarfs were too far away to help and he died a slow lonely death.
Sometime later, the wife was drafted into the military. Her youngest daughter was still a baby and she brought her along to her first day training in the danger room. Poor little girl did to survive.
I only noticed that she had died after I inspected the danger room and found copious amounts of blood.

edit: sadder still is that the baby was named Obok after the father (master speardwarf).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 08:25:05 pm by Eoganachta »
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2011, 10:08:55 pm »

After a massive and successful goblin ambush which left all but 2 adults and 4 children left alive in my fort, i looked outside to notice one of the children, goblin arrows still in his young flesh, and bleeding profusely, moving at half speed, and dragging his father's axe back to the fort.

I imagine he had known it would mean his death, but that the family weapon must not fall into the hands of evil.

he didn't make it, but the axe returned home.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Hivemind

• Bay Watcher
  • PEEKABOO.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2011, 03:30:40 pm »

After a massive and successful goblin ambush which left all but 2 adults and 4 children left alive in my fort, i looked outside to notice one of the children, goblin arrows still in his young flesh, and bleeding profusely, moving at half speed, and dragging his father's axe back to the fort.

I imagine he had known it would mean his death, but that the family weapon must not fall into the hands of evil.

he didn't make it, but the axe returned home.

In cases like this, I enshrine the weapon in the family tomb and seal it. Heroes are not to be disturbed in their well-deserved rest.
Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  It's the greatest Dwarven vice of all, outstripping alcohol by several orders of magnitude: the desire to own and haul as many feet-warming tubes of cloth as possible.
It's the tent of Hilarious Flying Shenanigans!  Everyone's favorite circus.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2011, 03:41:49 pm »

NOOOO a recruit, my only one besides the mcom suffocated just after the militia commander killed the recruit's assailant (a troglodyte). :( Bugger. And I was making equipment for him as well. Poor sod to have been attacked by that dumb ground thing. I only recruited him to keep better tabs on the fight and then later thought he might be a good militia member. :(

My first loss of the fortress. A statue for him. The troglodyte probably got a name posthumously. FUCK. And now a cheese maker got attacked. Recruited him too because else he'd keep running and the mcom'd never be able to get him.

WHAT THE FUCKING FUCKING FUCKING FUCKING FUCKKKKFUCUUUUUUCK. I just lost a tresher who was bashed in the head with bat leather trousers by a giant bat (brain stuff). She, the tresher liked Battle Axes and came as a novice axedwarf. FUUUU.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 04:18:38 pm by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most Heart Warming Dwarf Fortress Moments
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2011, 03:32:53 pm »

Lol, damn, I killed this thread the last time I posted here. :P

Still though, I feel it's worthy of resurrecting;
A woodcutter was attacked in my first cavern level by a Draltha which tore her leg off. She was picked up by a furnace worker and brought to hospital, the Draltha was killed. After a while in hospital she had a mood, a secretive mood. She went out of the bed, no crutch. She hopped slowly to a craftsdwarf shop, painstakingly gathered seven items and then made Rabatesh, the glowing Radiance. a larch toy axe. 15600. She just remained seated there in the shop until she was picked up again, by a miner, brought to hospital. She was re-evaluated and is now limping on one leg and one crutch and working as competent wood cutter and legendary wood crafter.

I consider this lady a hero.  :)

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2011, 04:00:52 pm »

A baby resurrected and its mother was carrying it around.
I checked her, she was ecstatic. Most of my people were content.

I figured she was so happy to see the child she lost that she just couldn't bother to let it leave her again.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2011, 04:03:01 pm »

Most heartwarming thing I saw was when a goblin hammerman got inside before I could shut the gates. He caused havoc in the entrance hall, breaking the bones of dwarves as they attempted to run. He smashed legs, he smashed arms, he smashed ribs. He didn't manage to get a kill though. Just when it looked like a large group had been cornered and he'd get a chance to kill, they ran at him.
All of them.
The combat log explained what happened quite well. They charged to goblin, pulled him to the ground, kicked and punched the hell out of him, and then one dude ripped the hammer from his grip and brained him with it.
No casualties. Broken bones all nicely set back. And a community fortress feeling.  :)
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2011, 04:26:51 pm »

What ? Heartwarming ? In a grimdark setting like Dwarf Fortress ?

Most of the time I have no heart or empathy to speak of, and ruthlessly sacrifice dwarves or animals for the good of the fortress/my FPS, but I must admit I went "awww they are so cute" when I got my first tiger cubs.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2011, 05:31:52 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is only as "grimdark" as you make it, after all. I refuse to kill cats in my fortresses, and caravan casualties have all been the goblins' fault. I've been forced to euthanasia once, and I played "Scotland the Brave" while it was carried out by glorious magma. Injuries and whatnot are grimly specific, granted, but getting it in writing means you can imagine it as abstractly as you want.

In short: I like reading into my little ASCII dudes, and I am a huge softie.

A baby resurrected and its mother was carrying it around.
I checked her, she was ecstatic. Most of my people were content.

I figured she was so happy to see the child she lost that she just couldn't bother to let it leave her again.
"Resurrected"? What sorcery is this? :o
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2011, 04:06:07 am »

It is indeed as 'grimdark' as you want. I care for my Dwarfs but will happily clobber any Pandamen on my map. And the best way of trading with elves is buying the caged animals, freeing those, then killing the elves, slaughtering their pack animals and store all their stuff.

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2011, 04:06:41 am »

I have trouble leaving guys down in the caverns. They seem so nice.

On the other note, my brother recently had a quite awesome moment. He had sent a quite-good miner outside to mine down to the cavern layer, when a siege happened. This miner was stuck at the bottom of a shaft whilw goblins were charging for it.
They poured down.
Some seconds later, a miner charged out, dripping blood, pickaxe blooded, and charged off into the woods. Goblins got distracted by a puppy, and the miner went to sleep. Outside. With a siege going on. When he finally woke up, we let down the drawbridge. We then had a "Run, Urist, run! The goblins are just behind you!" moment, and the he came in.
This guy, as I saw in the combat logs, had charged up the stairs, smashing bones, tearing flesh and generally badassing. And what for? A drink of the Dwarven Rum that that fort mainly dealt with...

It just seemed so "nice", as I thought he was doomed. Then again, he was an utter ruthless badass, so I don't know who to pity, dwarf or goblins?
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2011, 04:15:19 am »

My forts tantrum spiral.

Only about 4 people had grudges. When dwarfs went berserk, their friends had no choice but to engage them in combat. They gradually went insane with guilt of killing a friend, hacking up creature and dwarf alike,
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8