Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Most Heart Warming or Heart Wrenching Dwarf Fortress Moments~  (Read 21848 times)

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
Re: Most Heart Warming or Heart Wrenching Dwarf Fortress Moments~
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2011, 08:36:53 am »

My chief medical dwarf fell into melancholy while still carrying her firstborn baby.  When she approached the river, presumably to kill herself, I feared the worst for the defenseless child.

The former doctor walked to the edge of the water and jumped.  She drowned shortly afterward, but there was no such message for the baby.  In fact, the baby was nowhere to be seen, and it took me a moment to figure out what happened.  Sure enough, the announcement came that a thief had made off with the child.

The kidnapping kept the baby from being dragged into his insane mother's suicide.  The doctor's memorial was set beneath a statue showing the kidnapping, so that all who saw it considered the time an innocent's life was saved by a goblin.
That's the first time I've ever heard of a goblin doing the sensible, human thing by kidnapping a kid.  :o
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2011, 12:25:43 pm »

Considering how often kids or even babies end up dead in dorf forts, wouldn't all goblin kidnappers be doing it out of kindness?

Besides the fact that goblin society works on cutthroat principles where backstabbing is a necessity if you want to survive.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2011, 04:07:19 pm »

My animal trainer taming elephants with the +prepared elephant intestines+.

Om nom nom cannibalistic elephants taste good.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2011, 05:13:38 pm »

My axelord who had rotten tissue on every body part, including bones being sucessfully operated on, and getting a splint on every apendage (i think 8 in total) refusing to leave the bed. He got the cavein treatment and made the recovery after the broken arm was fixed. Since every bodypart was still listed yellow i was unsure if he had retained some combat strength, but when another deadly dust beast came that was happily biding its time in the cavern lake i set him to train in a barracks at the cavern entrance together with the last other survivor from the kings consort.
His companion somehow knew there was no point in sacrificing himself so he let Urvad fight the beast alone. He slew the crocodile but contracted a deadly disease that the doctors couldn't treat at all, so he walked out of the hospital blisters covering his body and leaving a trail of blood.
He only had two kills but those were the deadliest beasts the fort ever saw. I engraved two slabs for him each reading the name of a beasts he saved us from. The slabs were put up in the dining hall to make everyone remember the hero who saved Minebowels twice.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2011, 05:18:07 pm »

When I accidently lock someone out during a seige.  :'(

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2011, 03:52:48 pm »

A bronze colossus attacked my fortress a while ago, and while everyone was evacuating, a woodcutter didnt make it and the bronze colossus was busy making him into puddy. one of my medical dwarves whom I named Cameron ran out and tried to recover the woodcutter (who died as she was running out) and the bronze colossus got to her, but instead of killing her he started dragging her away, like he was going to leave the map with her.
I sent my military after him, and my captain reached the colossus first, and he fought it for a while, then was injured and was about to be killed when cameron out of nowhere (still being dragged by the colossus) knocked the colossus unconscious, giving my captain time to recover and kill it.

later on, cameron was trying to recover some recruits from a siege when a bowman shot at my captain. he jumped out of the way and bolt flew and headshotted cameron...

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2011, 04:00:03 pm »

A bronze colossus attacked my fortress a while ago, and while everyone was evacuating, a woodcutter didnt make it and the bronze colossus was busy making him into puddy. one of my medical dwarves whom I named Cameron ran out and tried to recover the woodcutter (who died as she was running out) and the bronze colossus got to her, but instead of killing her he started dragging her away, like he was going to leave the map with her.
I sent my military after him, and my captain reached the colossus first, and he fought it for a while, then was injured and was about to be killed when cameron out of nowhere (still being dragged by the colossus) knocked the colossus unconscious, giving my captain time to recover and kill it.

later on, cameron was trying to recover some recruits from a siege when a bowman shot at my captain. he jumped out of the way and bolt flew and headshotted cameron...
WOW. That's just sick.
poor Cameron.

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2011, 04:23:46 pm »

Why was he out during a siege anyway? I usually wait for the siege to end before retrieving wounded.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2011, 06:44:12 pm »

Due to a minor miscalculation while breaching a volcano I had a !!miner!! running around my fort. While burning alive !!Urist McMiner!! suddenly became !!Urist McMother!!. The new baby caught fire almost right away and died before the mother did. My poor legendary miner had to endure childbirth, losing her only child, and death by burning within a matter of minutes.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2011, 07:37:08 pm »

Due to a minor miscalculation while breaching a volcano I had a !!miner!! running around my fort. While burning alive !!Urist McMiner!! suddenly became !!Urist McMother!!. The new baby caught fire almost right away and died before the mother did. My poor legendary miner had to endure childbirth, losing her only child, and death by burning within a matter of minutes.
That's either really, really terrible, or really hilarious. I think I'm having an aneurysm trying to figure out which.

penco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2011, 09:41:12 pm »

It always makes me sad when a goblin stabs some puppy in the entrails and then...

"The puppy looks sick!"

:tear

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2011, 11:13:56 am »

In my current fort I've been building a militia out of whoever has high enough skills. In one wave of immigrants, a Proficient Swordsdwarf named Vucar comes along with his pet kitten and dog. I quickly bring him into the team.

Not long after this a fire imp attacks the magma forge where a metalworker is doing her thing. The imp chases her up into some mining tunnels but she manages to knock it over and escape.

Out of the stairwell comes the militia with Vucar in front. He breaks the imps' thumbnail with his sword, disembowels it, then stabs it twice. With the imp dead I go back to business of running my fort. One minute later I get a message that Vucar has bled to death, presumably from the struggle. The mining tunnels were stained with his blood, which somehow escaped my notice.

He was so new to the fort that he didn't have any long term acquaintances or friends. Nobody was affected by his death, even though he sacrificed his life to protect his new home. I opened the animal menu where I saw his now owner-less dog and kitten (female, no less). Normally I kill all kittens to prevent catsplosion but this time...I let it slide. Even though he was buried properly I made him a memorial slab anyway.

To this day I wonder, could I have saved him?

RemusShepherd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2011, 02:33:06 pm »

I had a fort that had gotten established -- a hospital with a well, we were making steel armor for the military, etc.  I only nickname dwarfs once they are masters in their jobs, or for military once they do something worthy.  My dwarfs have to earn their nicknames.  So I didn't have many dwarves of distinction yet, but things were going well.

Then I get a ton of messages about civilians falling over dead.  I had screwed up when constructing my well, leaving a diagonal passageway into the caverns.  One of the worst possible Forgotten Beasts -- a blob, with 'deadly dust' emanating from it, had crawled up into my hospital, massacred the staff and was headed for the civilian bedrooms.

I throw my military down there, hoping they would be able to stop the thing.

Almost all of the military die on contact with the beast.  They do, however, manage to shift the combat back to the hospital.  Then one axedwarf does something that's either terrifically stupid or boneheaded bravery -- he falls down the well, and somehow takes the forgotten beast with him.

This buys my fort some time.  I pave over the well.  I let the civilians out of the panic burrow and they start cleaning up the carnage.  The axedwarf in the well is unconscious, underwater and being clubbed nonstop by the beast, but *he stays alive*.  (This has to be a bug.)  He distracts the beast long enough that one of my miners is able to dig a rockfall that drops a block of stone down the well to kill the beast.

The dwarf in the well dies also, of course.  I name him 'Aquadwarf', and give him a tomb of steel.

The deadly dust causes some problems, but after a while I wash the halls and everything's fine.  Only a few minor tantrums; I keep my dwarves happy.  The main problem is the military.  They all die on their hospital beds, except for one dwarf who has rot on *every* body part.  I should have saved a screenshot -- it went on for a screen and a half with, 'His cheeks are rotting.  His lower lip is rotting.  His upper lip is rotting.' and so on.  I have no surviving doctors, so all I can do for him is give him water and ready his tomb.

But he *survives*.  Every body part that used to have rot on it now has a wicked scar.  When he walks out of the hospital I name him 'Zombo', and make him the captain of the militia.  Every dwarf in the next migrant wave is handed a weapon and told to report to a dwarf literally *covered* in scars, with some horrifying stories to tell.

And the fort went on. 

(I quit it about 8 years later due to lag.  Zombo survived to the end, with two more Forgotten beast kills to his squad's credit.)

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2011, 03:25:54 pm »

After a legendary miner got encased in ice while opening-up a clogged magma conduit, I decided that dangerous digging activities should be done by expendable dwarves.  I made 2 dwarfs with non-critical skills my newest set of miners.  It turns out that they were both mothers, but I didn't know that at the time.

Dwarf 1 was carrying her baby and put it down in order to dig through the obsidian obstruction.  She then ran off leaving her baby behind, who shortly thereafter bled to death since DF has no cauterization.

Dwarf 2 did the same thing, except that she turned around and ran back to retrieve her child.  She waded through the magma and picked him up with him having suffered only minor burns, but got quite badly injured herself.  She bled out halfway to my hospital, but her baby was saved.

Which dwarf did the right thing?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8