Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Most Heart Warming or Heart Wrenching Dwarf Fortress Moments~  (Read 21836 times)

CaptRory

• Bay Watcher
  • One manly, dwarvenly, Mr. Saturn
    • View Profile
Most Heart Warming or Heart Wrenching Dwarf Fortress Moments~
« on: January 04, 2011, 12:30:49 am »

I put the two together because:

1. Having Heart Wrenching without a balance would have us all in tears.

2. Something can be both.

In my current Fortress, a dwarf's pet dog was badly wounded by a goblin ambush. I thought it had died. Then yesterday I spotted it following its master around at half speed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The thought of this poor animal faithfully following its master around, dragging its back half behind it just wrenches my heart. But its so touching, the loyalty she has for her master!

What about you guys? Any such moments to share?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Most Heart Warming or Heart Wrenching Dwarf Fortress Moments~
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 12:42:39 am »

Fabricated moments or real one? Cause last night, right after I captured my first dragon I got a PM from my GF saying she couldnt take it anymore and decided to break up.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

CaptRory

• Bay Watcher
  • One manly, dwarvenly, Mr. Saturn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 01:12:24 am »

Errr~ Moments from the game.

Sorry to hear about your girlfriend though. I know how much that hurts.  :'(

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 01:18:28 am »

so sad to see him die after the massive injuries that could be compared to a zombie or a skeleton.
so sad
LOSING IS FUN!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 01:21:52 am »

I found it sad that when a soldier fell into the ocean and drowned, his pet earth golem kept standing near the are where he fell. Then when the soldier came back as a ghost, the golem tried following the ghost around. I felt kind of guilty putting the ghost to rest, because the golem was left all alone again  :(
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 01:31:47 am »

A Modded race which is -500 years way advanced then Dwarves and ment to attack with masses of thousands Seiged my fortress , I ordered everyone inside and ordered the Lever to the Drawbridge Shut , But however , The..... Swarmers Overran the drawbridge lever(Which is !!FUN!!-ly placed outside) , My marksdwarves are running out of bolts

The Millita Captain Charged at the Massive swarm , Axe Swinging , Decapitating Two lines of Swarmers , fought his way to the Drawbridge Lever , Holding the Fortress's One and Only Artifact axe and being the First of the Firsts , Pulled the lever , Saving the fortress from Destruction and preventing hundreds of dwarven deaths , Sacrificing himself For the Good of the fortress

He was Thrown at a Statue by a Club , and despite Having only a Lightly wounded arm , Sat still and Waited as Death in the Form of a Massive swarm Claimed his life(Seriously , It really did happen , the Captain just stood still) , and as the swarm left , i heard  "FUCKING SACRIFICE"

I am so constructing a Statue(No , not the statues from the Craftdwarfs workshop) in honor of his Sacrifice

so sad to see him die after the massive injuries that could be compared to a zombie or a skeleton.
so sad

Wait a second , wasn't the dwarf a She?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:37:07 am by Ze Spy »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 01:36:57 am »

everytime I set a mother animal to slaughter, her cubs follow closely right behind and linger around the butcher's for a good while.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 01:52:53 am »

Fabricated moments or real one? Cause last night, right after I captured my first dragon I got a PM from my GF saying she couldnt take it anymore and decided to break up.

I don't want to pry or anything so please don't feel like you have to answer this but,

she broke up with you in a pm? It just seems like an odd method of doing it  :-\
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 02:07:00 am »

I don't want to pry or anything so please don't feel like you have to answer this but,

she broke up with you in a pm? It just seems like an odd method of doing it  :-\
It was fabricated so there's no reasons for anything happened within. However I, you probably figured, actually meant "smsed" instead of "pmed" but I'm no natural english speaker and those 2 verbs are synonyms in my language so I kinda messed up. Texting to break up is very common here.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 02:37:06 am »

I got one better.

So I built a fort on a mountainside, and dug out some temporary holes to live in while I prepared the main area.  I had war elephants and war dogs.  One mason has a war dog as a pet, and goes insane from a failed mood.  He immediately attacks his dog, breaking his skull and a few limbs.  The dog doesn't fight back, but soon a war elephant comes and stomps him into the ground.  Crisis averted.  The dog later has a litter of puppies that follow her around, but aside from occasionally visiting meeting halls, the dog and her pups spend all their time at the very spot where her owner had gone insane.  Fast forward 2 years, the workshops in that area have all been deconstructed, and for all purposes that area is abandoned.  The dog and her puppies still spend all their time at the place where her owner went crazy and disfigured her, and then died.

Then a goblin ambush slipped in the unused entrance near there and slaughtered them.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 02:52:54 am »

I'm reclaiming a fort--this was my first reclaimed fort, second fort in total--I had just figured out caverns existed, dug striaght into them, then focused on buidling up a large fort along the ground xy axis.  I did not wall up the cavern. Then I got a recurring fatal bug and decided to abandon my perfectly healthy fort and reclaim. So on entry the fortress is FULL of forgotten beasts. The fortress was appropriately named Waspfloors--the floors lead straight to the caverns and the ones that spawned in there teleported into my fort as is standard on reclaim. But the story goes:

A couple gets married. yay! it's my first marriage of the first seven and its the manager and the book keeper.  We have already encountered one forgotten beast, but we got lucky and killed it before it even came from ambush (accidental cave-in proved lucky and didn't even kill the miner). So things are good, everyone is happy for the newlywed couple etc.  So I am slowly reclaiming the fort, room by room and I reclaim the brewery.  Mrs. Manager goes into the brewery and meets a skinless pretadon from beyond.  It promptly breaks her backbone. She somehow manages to wrestle with it (becoming legendary in the process- .13 bug), until the woodcutter/axedwarf cavalry gets there.  She is moved to the newly reclaimed hospital. Her husband brings her water. Their dog visits too.  Then the dog starts giving off a cloud of miasma. As do all the other pets.  And the newly arrived immigrant children.  Their heads are rotting. The husband catches the rot too, he lies in bed right next to his paralyzed wife.  I can only assume they keep talking about how they are both going to get through it.  Then in one month the husband succumbs to his disease and the wife gives birth to their first and now only child, a girl.  Who, since the mother is paralyzed, crawls off, wanders helpless through the halls and succumbs to thirst.  The end. And I thought House of Sand and Fog and Requiem for a Dream were sad :( 
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 04:21:19 am »

D'aw, they all collapsed from doing what they love. Drinking booze and mining rooms.

It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 05:02:22 am »

My first death was a dog, someone's pet who fought a skeletal mountain goat. New skeletal mountain goats appeared a couple of times later and I've been using a small militia with training spears to destroy them (they interrupt a lot) and now, my second death, is the owner of the doggie. :( I'll put them both in the same-grave-room.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 05:35:50 am »

The family story of everyone in my fortress who dares having children or a spouse, I swear. To this day, most married dwarfs became widows shortly after marrying. Families with more than 2 kids usually have one dead, kidnapped, or both. Several orphans are running around. One 13-year-old immigrant with a single mother only seemed to have survived childhood just so she could defend the fortress against goblins with a cheap crossbow while learning to shoot game... and lose the use of her right foot in the process; because of the way crutches work, or rather don't, she's as of today a permanent resident of the hospital. EDIT: great, her mom found an ambush. Or rather, the ambush found her. Now she is a cripple AND an orphan.
The first berserker a year or two ago was a girl, Olon Degeles, who had lost her father to tragedy. Before she touched anyone in the food stockpile, my veteran (himself called the "Tragedy of Urges" and having lost one hand the the use of the other) kicked her brains in. Ironically, he's part of the most successful family: both him and his son were the first migrants (and therefore the kid was motherless, which is arguably dramatic in itself) he's been the militia commander during the very long time his right hand had been torn off, and his very son became mayor at the age of 12 and is duke today at age 20. Back to Olon, she died, leaving behind a widowed mother, a kidnapped brother, and another brother who is very unhappy and was enrolled as soon as he turned adult for the simple reason he'd punched a troglodyte in the guts as a baby. I still don't know what caused the girl in particular to lose it without a preemptive warning or a tantrum, nor why what's left of her family hasn't gone postal either.

Understandably, I'm now trying to keep alive as many kids as possible, even though they are virtually useless.
A swordsdwarf was recently punished for not filling a mandate she had absolutely no control over. Right before that, her husband, a recruit, had been killed in duty (I was not aware until he died that guy from the sacrificial meatshield squad was married...). Tragic, isn't it? Well, before the end of her sentence, she gives birth to a boy. She keeps him while she is still chained and ends her prison time, ecstatic. She has fought a couple times while holding him due to my regrettable negligence, but fortunately, the baby only suffered a minor wound that won't affect him (if he dies of infection or something, however, I will go berserk). The baby boy has very good physical stats, but honestly, today, I feel very uneasy giving him the title of "Future Soldier" and enrolling him within 12 years...  :-X

Side note: before the huge streak of familial drama started, I had started a huge statue of Zuglar the Oar of Yearlings... god of oceans, lakes, rivers, coasts, and... children. I yet have to finish it. I'm not sure what I have done to receive his curse. Maybe I shouldn't have expressed my pleasure there were ghostly children drifting around the building, and that, having drowned, they were not going to be accidentally put to rest. :-\
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 07:13:30 am by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

K17U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 07:37:24 am »

This happened to me in my second or third fort.

I didn't know about mass butchery via the stock screen animal management back then, so I had a shitload of them lingering around. Especially dogs, for some reason. Eager to try out new stuff I then decided it'd be time to check out how training animals works. So I built a kennel, assigned a random migrant for animal training, and set "train war animal" on repeat.
I then more or less forgot about that guy, only noticing the steady increase in war dogs, of which I positioned quite a few on chains or in cages outside the fortress.
Some two ingame years later or so, I suddenly notice a huge trail of stray war dogs following a single dwarf, and sure enough, it's the Fortress' only animal trainer. The very guy I assigned to the job.
Apparently, these dogs, having been strays with no owner for their entire lives, kept following the single dwarf who ever took care of them. And by that I mean following him literally anywhere. Even when he was asleep, every tile of his small 2x2 room would be occupied by at least two war dogs. Including his bed.
Later I noticed that he had no friends to speak of either.
I like to imagine that he was content with being surrounded by his dogs. Even if they were not "officially" his.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8