Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Most Heart Warming or Heart Wrenching Dwarf Fortress Moments~  (Read 21830 times)

GamerGrim

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Recovered WoW Addict
    • View Profile
    • Gamer Grim
Re: Most Heart Warming or Heart Wrenching Dwarf Fortress Moments~
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2011, 08:44:38 pm »

I nickname my dwarves to keep them straight. The (usually) most important and protected members get special names.

Named my embark mason after my daughter. She got an early mood and created a legendary coffin. Morbid but OK.

Fast-forward a year (to year 2). First goblin raid. One casualty before my military stomps them into the dirt: yup, my daughter.

We reallocate the statue garden's masterwork statues and the legendary coffin to a small "tomb" connected to the workshop she crafted them all in. For a time, I also made it a statue garden (the little guys always got happy thoughts from that mega-amazing room) but, eventually, made a new one outside.

Fast-forward a few years. I get my first Baron(ess) named after my sister. One of her demands: a Tomb.

We craft a large room filled with engraved walls, statues, and surround the coffin with glass. The only real Tomb in the fortress.

She's pleased... until she finds my daughter's coffin room and flips out.
OK when everything is not OK.

Starmantle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2011, 09:16:18 pm »

I had a great fortress humming along.  50 dwarves - everyone extremely happy with their waterfalls, Legendary dining halls, food, and drink.

Then I noticed that my expedition leader was terribly unhappy.

I checked his likes and dislikes, but nothing jumped out at me.  I did see that he liked horses, so I put a caged horse in his bedroom, office, and dining room, respectively.

Later, I realized he had a "grudge" with my Mason... who's apparently pretty narcissistic and makes tons of statues of himself. 

So all over the fortress and even bedroom of my favorite dwarf, there are big impressive statues of the dwarf he hates... Great.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2011, 11:49:04 pm »

In my fort my champion Zefron, had a puppy since he immigrated. Those two were inseparable, always frolicking and playing. Their relationship lasted a good 4 years, and much joy was to be had.

Then a goblin ambush appeared.

I ordered zefron and a squad of lashers too accompany him. Zefron rushed to the goblins and slew 5 of them before having his shield arm broken, and thus falling unconscious due to pain. His dog run up and attacked the hammer goblin killing it, and wounding a crossgoblin before being shot in the heart, then the squad of dwarf lashers came and killed the rest. After Zefron was dragged into the hospital his dog promptly died. That my fortresses only female dog, so I canceled the butcher order on the last few of her puppies, and eventually zefron adopted one.

MANLY TEARS ;_;
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2011, 12:48:43 am »

In the fortress Towerhills I didn't really have much in the way of defense. My rag-tag bunch were poorly trained (this was before I knew much about danger rooms) dwarves tried desperately to fight off a goblin ambush, but every last one of them died.

In a desperate effort, I kept refilling the soldier que and sending dwarves off to their doom, hoping that some of them got lucky and killed a few goblins. If it's 10 to 1, you'd think they'd be over to overpower them, right? Well, they all died.

Except for Sarvesh, a miner who got caught in a lower shaft with her baby on her back, really thirsty. Sorry Sarvesh! Well, as my last able dwarf, i dug her out and sent her after them, expecting this to be the final end of Towerhills.

She killed them! She killed I think 2 right off the bat, holding the baby in her free hand (nearly dropping the babe a few times), and chased off the rest. That gave me huge warm and fuzzies.

Then the depressing part - she was overwhelmed by the whole freaken fortress lying dead around her. I hoped she'd just cope, and get back to fixing the fortress. Her sense of duty might hold her maybe? She stacked up a few of her comrades before having a complete breakdown and killed her own baby. Not only that, but she did it with her bare hands. She then ran around attacking animals in a crazy berserker fashion until she messed with the wrong animal and died.

The other depressing part - there was one dwarf left. Apparently he was one of the 1st soldiers who got injured, and he was resting in the hospital. He died shortly therafter. Considering the placement of the hospital, I'm sure he heard everything that happened outside, completely unable to do anything about it. That has to be the most depressing way to die I've ever thought of.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2011, 01:08:54 am »

A Modded race which is -500 years way advanced then Dwarves and ment to attack with masses of thousands Seiged my fortress , I ordered everyone inside and ordered the Lever to the Drawbridge Shut , But however , The..... Swarmers Overran the drawbridge lever(Which is !!FUN!!-ly placed outside) , My marksdwarves are running out of bolts

The Millita Captain Charged at the Massive swarm , Axe Swinging , Decapitating Two lines of Swarmers , fought his way to the Drawbridge Lever , Holding the Fortress's One and Only Artifact axe and being the First of the Firsts , Pulled the lever , Saving the fortress from Destruction and preventing hundreds of dwarven deaths , Sacrificing himself For the Good of the fortress

He was Thrown at a Statue by a Club , and despite Having only a Lightly wounded arm , Sat still and Waited as Death in the Form of a Massive swarm Claimed his life(Seriously , It really did happen , the Captain just stood still) , and as the swarm left , i heard  "FUCKING SACRIFICE"

I am so constructing a Statue(No , not the statues from the Craftdwarfs workshop) in honor of his Sacrifice

Am I the only one who thought of Bill from L4D?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2011, 04:15:00 am »

snip.
Mason is victorious! Also, normally I wouldn't say this because Horse = Food, but give him the horse as a pet. :)
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Super2goten

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2011, 10:37:15 am »

Quite a while back I was setting up a damn awesome fort, though I was still newish to the game, I'd heard about not fulfilling mandates and how bad jail cells could cause some bad unhappiness, so I set out to make the 10 most perfect jail cells ever.

Not long before I finished up I realized I'd need to make a sheriff or something to handle the inmates so juuust before I started placing the chains in the cells I assigned some randomer the job and set to the chains.

Then, suddenly... 'Urist McLeatherworker has been struck down!' I was so confused since I was having a nice hassle free game so far and hadn't spotted any signs of trouble, I headed to his corpse and found him in the storeroom, with a shifty looking dwarf nearby who was heading with a real purpose to the other side of the fort... The new Sheriff >:O

I was stunned by his actions and watched helplessly as he walked up to a butcher and smacked him around for a minute or two, before leaving him twitching on the floor, very badly beaten.

The horror of my actions leading to such horrible deaths got to me, I think the leatherworker had just had his second child too... It was that day I decided to make the 'Flood the world with magma' cannon.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2011, 07:47:33 am »

Heart Warming; I recruited a cool fellow into my militia today, unfortunately he's not pleased with the draft, but he likes rope reed fiber, bronze, mittens and short swords. :D
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2011, 09:21:03 pm »

A furnace operator/mason (megaproject in progress, so almost everybody is one) managed to fall from an open air staircase and break herself pretty bad. She managed to haul herself to hospital, though, and should recover. She did, however, forget something: her baby, which also fell with her. That baby doesn't have a single limb that isn't broken, and her ribs aren't in the best shape either. She managed to, tile by tile, drag her devastated little body to the hospital, where no one seemed to care. Then she crawled to a dining room, where she found the chief medical dwarf partying. The baby actually crawled to him in despair, and sat there for a while, before moving on to who knows where. Not a bright future ahead for that kid. The baby's mother in hospital decided to add more irony by giving birth while unconscious, leaving another confused baby crawling around the fort. Their parents aren't exactly the luckiest of my population; I've already dropped a couple of their kids into a volcano in an accident. Damn miners.

Proberoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2011, 11:26:44 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

She was outside hauling corpses after the first siege left... only to meet the 2nd siege in person.  The numbers were too high, so I ended up locking her outside and watching in horror as the goblins shot volleys at her, slowly weakening her till she collapsed maybe 40 tiles away from the doorway to safety.  They then proceeded to charge on her and whack her with their crossbows, inflicting the majority of the above wounds... but she refused to die.  After watching for a few minutes, I decided to try fighting the goblins off afterall - and it worked thanks to them being ammo-less and distracted by the mechanic.  She was rescued and committed to the hospital, where she still lives, unable to move but still very much alive.  She was dubbed a hero in my fort, and I dug out a nice tomb for her(which was later destroyed by trolls during another siege... at that point, I gave up on the fort.  :'(

Benman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2011, 11:34:44 pm »

Urdim was one of the starting seven for my current and longest-running fort. He was the militia commander, and quickly became an Axe Lord while dealing with the ambushes. A couple years into the fort, Kosoth shows up in one of the immigrant waves. She's a macedwarf with higher skills than Urdim, so I made her militia commander instead. Urdim must've taken it pretty rough, because his demotion was a favorite topic for my engravers and masons in their artwork, second only to the founding of the fortress.

Fast forward to year seven. Urdim has maybe a dozen kills by this point, and both he and Kosoth are legendary fighters. A siege shows up, and I send my military out to stomp on the squads one at a time before they link up. The first target is a group of hammergoblins, which barely counts as a speedbump. On the way, though, Urdim spots two squads of bowgoblins who spawned in the same place. Eager to prove himself, or else just hoping to die nobly and end his shame, Urdim charges them. By himself.

The moment I notice this, I send the rest of the army to back him up, but they're engaged with the hammergoblins and it takes them some time to finish. Meanwhile Urdim charges through a hail of bolts and slaughters seven goblins and trolls before a lucky shot shatters his spine. A troll grabs him by the leg and starts beating him to death, but Urdim is wearing exceptional steel armor so this is taking a while.

The rest of my military shows up and steamrolls the bowgoblins without any injuries I noticed. Kosoth personally takes down the troll that grabbed Urdim. The goblins break and run like the cowards they are, and my military chases after, rushing past Urdim, who is still barely alive. It's while he's dragging himself after the fleeing goblins, trying to keep up with the comrades who rejected him, that he suffocates from a punctured lung.

I wanted to give him his old post back posthumously, but all I could give him was a platinum sarcophagus surrounded by gold statues. It doesn't feel like enough.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2011, 04:16:18 am »

Ducim, legendary miner, one of the original seven, and useless at anything else, just working on extending the river, managed to fall in the recently excavated pool as he was channelling it open to the river.

I watched him struggle in the deep water, fighting the current, but he was being swept away.  Cue me designating a hole dug into my fort next to the river, to save him, despite that doing so would flood the fortress (I'll deal with that later, I thought).

But, no - Ducim actually SWAM against the current to the one ramp leading out - I have never had a dwarf that could swim before.  And he's actually ecstatic now, for some strange reason...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Aner-Dyfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2011, 06:27:42 am »

The wrester punches the !!Heart!! of Urist. The severed part flies through the air.

madciol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2011, 07:47:26 am »

And he's actually ecstatic now, for some strange reason...
Maybe due to mist?

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2011, 08:34:13 am »

My chief medical dwarf fell into melancholy while still carrying her firstborn baby.  When she approached the river, presumably to kill herself, I feared the worst for the defenseless child.

The former doctor walked to the edge of the water and jumped.  She drowned shortly afterward, but there was no such message for the baby.  In fact, the baby was nowhere to be seen, and it took me a moment to figure out what happened.  Sure enough, the announcement came that a thief had made off with the child.

The kidnapping kept the baby from being dragged into his insane mother's suicide.  The doctor's memorial was set beneath a statue showing the kidnapping, so that all who saw it considered the time an innocent's life was saved by a goblin.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8