Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: The Plagues Have Begun  (Read 12019 times)

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: The Plagues Have Begun
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 10:09:27 pm »

Oh, these things happen all the time, all coincidences, of course. pffft.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 10:12:08 pm »

Creepy. Wait, I live in the central United States... :o

For added scary, I will quote Eversion.

run
behind you
time to die

Sixteen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 10:15:02 pm »

The Arkansas birds died of trauma, no disease was found. There was also a storm and fireworks.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/03/arkansas.falling.birds/index.html?hpt=C1

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 10:15:10 pm »

The simple solution is a die-off triggered from pesticide or industrial chemical use - not sure precisely where on the food chain the fish are but if they're sufficiently high up it's possible they're the only species that received a high enough dose to kill them.

Yeah but, a hundred thousand of them in one day?  In one location?  And just that one species?  I don't anything about "drum fish", but the simple solution sounds fishy to me.

(Note: this rambles more than I'd like!)

The fact that a large number were killed apparently simultaneously does in fact lead to some potential problems with the simplest solution. The large number, in a single location, and the one species part don't have as many (serious) problems.

Let's say some toxic chemical was dumped into the water at one site. Then you'd expect the die-off to be highly localized - downriver of that site only. Hence, a single location.

If the species is populous in that area and prefers that type of location (ie a stream or lake, that sort of thing) it's possible that large numbers of the fish would congregate there.

Now, instead assume that it's not a toxic chemical, but perhaps food contaminated with a toxic chemical. Smaller fish would congregate to a dump site, attracting predatory fish as well.

Now, if the drumfish are scavengers/ 'low on the food chain', then it's possible they were the primary/sole consumers of whatever was dumped, and thus they were the only ones that died. If the toxin is fast acting, then you'd likely see a situation similar to what has already been reported on. If it's slower-acting, you'd probably see more widespread dispersion of the die-off and potential some die-off in the predatory fish as well (from eating the drumfish).

If the drumfish are predatory, then it's possible the scavenging fish are their prey, and either the contaminated critters were all eaten, or they were not noticed in the dieoff. Or perhaps the concentration of toxin in their system was not enough to kill them, and the drumfish consumed sufficient quantities of it to make it lethal.

Now you can see where the "near simultaneous" part is causing problems. It implies - in either case - that most of the consumption was done in a very short time period. 

The toxin argument and the disease argument both suffer from this problem - why did they all die so rapidly, in such a short time frame?

With a disease, however, if it's waterborne and infects the skin/scales/gill system, if it was somehow introduced to the water it would very, very quickly infect all the fish in the area. If it's fast acting or the fish aren't migrating much, you'd see a very localized die-off over a short time, assuming all fish experience approximately identical symptoms and disease development.

Disclaimer: I am not a biologist, chemist, environmental scientist, ecologist, or anything at all related to this.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 10:17:08 pm »

The Arkansas birds died of trauma, no disease was found. There was also a storm and fireworks.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/03/arkansas.falling.birds/index.html?hpt=C1
trauma was cuased from dropping and fireworks would leave a mark

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 10:17:58 pm »

Has anyone been watching Flashforward? Remember how the thousands of dead birds all fell to the ground in a certain place before the pass-out occured?

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 10:22:00 pm »

Going from what Logical said, disease looks likely. Who do we Americans hate, that has done biological warfare research? Russians. Cold War 2: Electric Boogaloo.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 10:25:51 pm »

Fucking Madagascar Port, always closed.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 10:28:14 pm »

I hope we won't end up with all fish dead because while I am a vegetarian usually I do enjoy a fish sandwich from time to time.

But really over 100000 fish? It's crazy! Betcha within the next 2 days there will be another animal tragedy.

Keep the theories comin', this is great stuff.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 10:29:31 pm »

Going from what Logical said, disease looks likely. Who do we Americans hate, that has done biological warfare research? Russians. Cold War 2: Electric Boogaloo.

The opening salvo took out the ravens, blackbirds, and Arkansas riverfish.  Those commie bastards knew right where to hit us...
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 10:35:45 pm »

Beware when it spreads to huma- Ahaahahahahaha.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, I know Human is spelled with 1 "a"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 10:59:26 pm »

Shoot, I knew I should have made sure my missiles did not laun...

Wait, there is another explanation? Well, I'm glad that none of you pigs cockroaches archconservatives have figured out my secret...
Quote from: SolarShado
Hell yes! Who need a space elevator when you've got a space escalator!?!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
Watch out bots, Sherlock Humaan is on the case.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 02:48:57 am »

Also, locusts last year in Australia, flooding this year in Australia. And there is war and pestilence.

2012. MORE PROOF MORE EVIDENCE DENY IT ALL YOU LIKE BUT YOU WILL SOON BE SORRY SUCKAS
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 03:36:38 am »

The fish had a population boom in the last year or so and there wasn't enough food so the extra population died off in the cold.
Shoes...

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 04:00:15 am »

The fish had a population boom in the last year or so and there wasn't enough food so the extra population died off in the cold.

Doesn't that seem sort of simple and non-mysterious? Seems like if that happened, nobody would be terribly confused about it, right?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12