Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The FAILitary  (Read 3696 times)

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
The FAILitary
« on: January 03, 2011, 06:05:21 pm »

I swear my Dwarves are doing this on purpose.  Every single time I try to set up a danger room in Blackchasm, within seconds of the lever being put on repeat, half of them get broken fingers, noses, and other various appendages, even though they are all wearing masterwork armor of the best material.  It gets more insulting yet, too: they're also all wearing breastplates AND mail shirts instead of just one or the other (as well as the usual setup of gauntlets, greaves, high boots, and shield), AND all of these devastating killer blunt spears that are turning them into permanent residents in my hospital are no-quality to boot.  Did I just end up with the world's worst Dwarves here, or am I missing something?  Did danger rooms somehow get made even MORE dangerous to use after 0.31.15?
Sanity is for the weak.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
Re: The FAILitary
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 06:05:59 pm »

Are you using training spears or menacing spikes? Use training spears.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 06:06:49 pm »

Of course I'm using training spears.  Wooden no-quality training spears, nothing but.  And only 1 spear per tile at that.  These injuries should not be happening, yet they are.
Sanity is for the weak.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 06:08:59 pm »

That's funny. I use 10 per tile and they're all wearing civilian clothes, no injuries in 6 years.

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 06:11:56 pm »

Torso armour won't protect your hands or head. Make sure they're all wearing gloves, trousers, boots and hoods or something, that might help.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 06:24:30 pm »

I'll just have to put them in clothes as well, I guess.  I still find it odd that their helmets, gauntlets and high boots don't defend their faces, fingers, or toes, though...
Sanity is for the weak.

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 06:35:00 pm »

Thats very strange. In my danger rooms I use 10 training spears a tile and my dwarves have never been injured. Mine are always in at least full steel armor and shield and the most that happens to them is that they get tired.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 06:39:48 pm »

Did you check if your dwarves were actually wearing all the armor you assigned to them?

I was under the impression that gauntlets protect the fingers. I've never seen any finger injuries (or any injuries at all) in the danger room, while using 4-5 up to exceptional training spears.
Helmets protect the head, but not it's extremeties, nor the throat. For that, you'll need cloaks. Cloaks have been reported to protect the eyes as well. Note that you can layer more than one cloak on top of full metal armor; chainmail (x2, if you like), breastplate, helmet, gauntlets, boots, greaves.
Maybe, gauntlets work similar to helmets, in protecting the hands, but not the fingers, but then I've never noticed that.

I must add however, that I do give my dwarves shields as well, and those soon dominate the combat reports. Most training spears are blocked, and don't even see armor.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 06:42:32 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 06:51:41 pm »

They're all fully equipped, rest assured.  I don't know how or why they're getting critically wounded on what should be protected extremities.  We'll see how well their new cloaks help them, but I'm not betting on it helping much since the problem areas are largely fingers and toes.
Sanity is for the weak.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 07:04:08 pm »

I think cloaks will protect the fingers as well. As for the toes, I've never seen toe injuries, against danger room or goblins, yet my dwarves wear only high boots, no socks.
If you're worried about their toes, I believe you can layer socks and boots. Make sure they put on the socks first, before assigning the boots.

If you do that however, you *do* run the risk of a FB grabbing a sock and slapping a dwarf to death with it
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

brucemo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 07:42:52 pm »

Maybe they are special fingerless gauntlets and open-toed steel boots, for the dwarf that wants to look cool by wearing clothing items that are half-missing.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 07:46:05 pm »

Robes or dresses will protect the extremities, as they have both LBSTEP:MAX and UBSTEP:MAX, meaning they cover pretty much the entire body. Get some leather robes into production, and it may help.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 12:45:39 am »

Dwarf Fortress gauntlets might be like this

They don't give protection to fingers.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 03:55:10 am »

Yeah, but that's not a gauntlet. That's an arm brace or an armguard or a vambrace or whatever. Also, very odd that you, op, get so many wounds. Even the unarmoured fellows rigging my training spears to my pressure plates and levers don't actually get hurt even if they get smacked seven times by spinning training spears to their nuts.

Babies or pets, now THAT's different. :(

Also, accidentally sticking an iron spear in between the wooden training ones only hurt two of my Dwarfs a while ago. Phew.  :o
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 04:20:58 am »

Never had any of my dwarfs get hurt in a training room yet. Except for a baby or two. Oh, and one guy suffered a bruise to his head once. Are you sure your dwarfs have all picked up their full sets of equipment? Because I have had several dwarves that refused to put on a certain piece of armor (like a left gauntlet or breastplate).

On the topic of sufficiently armoring your troops, as I don't feel tihs topic warrants a new thread, does the shaped tag on armor mean they can only wear that one piece of armor on that body segment or does that mean they can only wear one shaped item on that segment? That is, can dwarfs wear a cap and a helm? Also, seeing how neither high boots nor low boots are shaped, can they wear both? And if so, will it give them additional protection?
Pages: [1] 2