Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: On making Dwarven citadels....  (Read 5864 times)

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On making Dwarven citadels....
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 12:21:18 am »

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.

i just found another quote for my signature.
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 01:26:40 am »

Frankly all the people who complained about the wiki being unhelpful, when they finally understood their problem, didnt help to improve it.
I'm not confident about writing a military guide for an audience who can't ask for clarifications and things. I worked the basics* out piecemeal, and I don't know if I could neatly set up a militia from scratch.

*1. "Oh my god stop doing that and go and stand over there. What are you even doing down here in the first place?"
  2. "Bum rush the skeletal giant eagle!"
  3. "Just you there, go and kill that."
  4. "Weapons! Clothing you can't claim for your own! Rejoice!"

And that's not counting the stuff like remembering to turn the number of active soldiers down from 10, and figuring out how to deal with woodcutters and miners when you want your civilians armed and armoured at all times (answer: you can't. Just hope your sudden nudist doesn't run into trouble).
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 12:50:08 pm »

Hum, the military thing is its own monster..... It's on the to do list but meh....

Smaller rooms with greater value:

Tantrum spirals, they suck, they kill. Better rooms mean happier dwarves. So I'm thinking it might be an idea to make small but high value rooms with high value furniture. This could use metal or perhaps stone, but it would certainly use gems. Does anyone have a setup for making furniture, studding with metal and then setting gems? What's the best way to do this?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 01:50:09 pm »

Burrows work well for forcing material use. Set up a stockpile next to the workshop to take the things you want a dwarf to use, and create a burrow that encompasses the stockpile(s) and workshop. Add some tiles from the food & drink and dining room areas as well, plus their bedrooms; dwarves will eventually leave a burrow to see to their needs but their work will suffer first. You can use one burrow for all the furniture, gem, and metalcrafting areas and assign the relevant dwarves as necessary, or just switch off their hauling tasks and have them all permanently on crafting standby. Fiddlier to set up than a quick workshop + materials burrow, but with the amount of time you'll be spending on even half a dozen bits of furniture you'll need the infrastructure.

If you just want expensive furniture, metal ores are great. Also consider just using a lot of furniture made from normal rock, if you have a mason who produces =stuff= at worst. Dwarves get one happy thought for each item of furniture they own or thing they admire, so pack that diorite stuff in and put statues everywhere. Remember, quantity in DF has a quality all its own!
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 11:23:57 pm »

Frankly all the people who complained about the wiki being unhelpful, when they finally understood their problem, didnt help to improve it. That's why there's always so much stuff to be read between the line on the wiki, because the helpful people who wrote them were a tad bit advanced, took the mundane stuff for granted and didn't mention about them.
I admire the people who contribute to the Wiki, and yes, they sometimes forget the famous motto,"keep it simple". There are many older players, who have no idea how to utilize the current military, as well as newer ones, who even the simple tasks, leave them confused. The Wiki is great for info for the basic tasks, but its authors need to realize that a learning curve, needs no gaps, from point C to point F
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 07:39:37 am »

Hum, the military thing is its own monster..... It's on the to do list but meh....

Smaller rooms with greater value:

Tantrum spirals, they suck, they kill. Better rooms mean happier dwarves. So I'm thinking it might be an idea to make small but high value rooms with high value furniture. This could use metal or perhaps stone, but it would certainly use gems. Does anyone have a setup for making furniture, studding with metal and then setting gems? What's the best way to do this?

been making gem encrusted toilets for my nobles. its really easy. the only 2 stock piles on your map that can hold gems and high-value metal furniture go right next to each other or are even the same stockpile. then your gem setter is made the only guy who can use the jewelers workshop that you then put right next to the stockpile(s). make them all a burrow and set to encrust furniture with gems. straight and simple but remember to release your jeweler form the burrow so he can eat/sleep. also letting him go off while there is jobs in the Que is a bad idea unless you actually want diamond encrusted bins.
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

Pages: 1 [2]