Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: I want to make a game  (Read 5183 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I want to make a game
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2011, 01:35:42 am »

No, it's more like someone asking how to make a hamburger from scratch and being shown a slaughterhouse instead, even if by necessity he's going to have to kill his own cow.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2011, 01:38:12 am »

No, it's more like someone asking how to make a hamburger from scratch and being shown a slaughterhouse instead, even if by necessity he's going to have to kill his own cow.
I'd still be fine cooking meat, just put off eating it.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2011, 01:40:27 am »

I think your analogy is collapsing under its own weight, or at least I can't figure out what point you're trying to make anymore.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2011, 01:42:08 am »

Yet nobody has mentioned BYOND in this thread! It's a pretty simplistic programming language that unfortunately most people shrug off as a "kiddie language" when compared with Python, C++, Java, etc. The langauge doesn't exactly have a very good IDE nor has anyone bothered to improve the existing one much, however the language itself is very simple and even handles netcode for you.

Even if BYOND coding is not your cup of tea I recommend reading up on some of the guides; they provide a great introduction to basic object-oriented programming. It's essential stuff if you want to program in a higher language.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2011, 01:53:01 am »

I think your analogy is collapsing under its own weight, or at least I can't figure out what point you're trying to make anymore.
My point is: programming is hard, but half the people here are making it seem even harder instead of providing useful information, which is what the OP was asking for. And it's not exactly a confusing analogy, though entirely unnecessary. :P
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2011, 03:28:34 am »

You guys are all horrible people, burnt out from your shattered dreams. Except the helpful ones.

Dasleah's thread is good.

The BYOND idea is decent too. As Derek Yu says, don't make tech that you don't have to. Making a game from a programming language is a lot of work from scratch, and if you don't have experience, you'll just quit and be as grumpy as everyone else here.

I don't see what everyone here's obsession with roguelikes are. To me, someone who says "I want to make an ASCII game" sounds like an artist saying "I want to make a stick figure animation". DF's meant to be in 3D, it's only in ASCII because it's the bare blocks Toady wants to work with. You can make a life simulation game just fine without it being a roguelike.

If you're willing to work out of the roguelike mold, try a game making tool like Game Maker, Multimedia Fusion, Construct. All of them have different approaches; I'd recommend Construct for detailed games out of the three as it's designed to scale to more complex applications. Though MMF mixes well with Lua scripting.

You don't want to start with an epic game, though. Pick a direction, map out how you're going to get there, and learn everything you need to. You'll need a lot of experience in the genre before you could make something epic. Either make smaller games, or design a game and have people play it in the Forum Games forum. Get some experience programming a simpler version of the genre. Learn to crawl before you could climb mountains.

TIGSource is where you want to go to learn to make games. Very helpful people.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2011, 03:24:32 am »

DF's meant to be in 3D, it's only in ASCII because it's the bare blocks Toady wants to work with.

Do you mean that DF is "meant" to be displayed using 3D-rendered graphics? I don't know. I kind of take exception to that viewpoint; I think decent 3D graphics would be fairly hard to implement and not really any better, and I think the text/tile graphics are a stylistic choice as much as they are a practical one.

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
  • My avatar is of whitespace, Not the firefox logo
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2011, 06:24:16 am »

Yeah.
I think the point that he was getting at was that 2D/ASCII doesn't necessarily make it less complex
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]