Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you generally prefer natural beauty or artificial beauty?

I generally prefer natural beauty.
I generally prefer artificial beauty.
I like artificial beauty but I can enjoy natural beauty.
I like natural beauty but I can enjoy artificial beauty.
I do not see any difference.
Other
View poll.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: Natural Beauty vs Artificial Beauty  (Read 29705 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Natural Beauty vs Artificial Beauty
« Reply #210 on: January 03, 2011, 10:11:00 pm »

Today I did alot to not make a fool of myself on the internet.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 03, 2011, 10:58:26 pm »

On topic: I like natural beauty in general but artificial beauty has its merits.

EDIT: I derped.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 11:13:42 pm by Barbarossa the Seal God »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #212 on: January 03, 2011, 11:00:35 pm »

On topic: I like natural beauty in general but artificial beauty has its merits.

Off topic: May I have a psychoanalysis, Vector? I'm curious what you think of me. I guess the picture thread ruined that a bit, but what would you think of me had you not read that particular thread?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=74372.0

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 03, 2011, 11:16:48 pm »

I was so off topic that my off topic comment was literally in the wrong topic.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #214 on: January 03, 2011, 11:22:27 pm »

Bah. I voted before reading the thread, assuming you meant man-made beauty (IE paintings and what not) v natural beauty (waterfalls and miracles).
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #215 on: January 04, 2011, 12:43:33 am »

I have my personal preference towards natural beauty; however, it doesn't hurt having a touch-up here and there whenever appropriate.

I mean, I prefer a woman that doesn't need makeup and such to feel pretty (insecurity concerning looks or social profile comes to mind about them). I mean, you don't need to put on makeup just to refill the gas tank to the car, and come back, or something stupid like that.

There are times however that I don't mind any touching up, and that's usually when it's appropriate (like going to a nice restaurant or a show (Broadway shows come to mind in this regard)). All that aside, like above, you don't need makeup for fast food or going somewhere where you don't need to worry about your appearance. Simply, what's the point?

Go with what's comfortable is basically my point. As long as something isn't trying to be hidden away from me, I'm okay with what I see. I mean, I'm not always the prettiest picture everyday either, but at least I wear my naturally lazy form with pride and do nothing about it.

EDIT:
Actually, all that above was just about exterior beauty exclusively. Don't get me started about inner (psychological) beauty. If you're naturally a psychopathic or psychotic nutball that knows how to have fun, don't hide it in shame, then it's artificial inner beauty of refining yourself to others' definition of inner beauty.

Kinda realized this when I took notice to how I behave privately, compared to densely social atmospheres (Bay-12 somewhat counts as private, seeing as I'm not in the same room as everyone in discussions, so to put it.). Simply put, I'm a completely different person in a dense enough social atmosphere (like bars or parties; especially if I know people, or depending on how well they know me), compared to when I'm hanging out online, or with a few people that understand me better. Maybe I'm just a bit too unique, and I don't translate well; especially to large groups. Doesn't help I have plenty of esoteric tastes as well.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 01:02:07 am by Itnetlolor »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 04, 2011, 12:53:48 am »

I'm... the only frigging one that voted for artificial beauty...

Well it's like I say, beauty in people is kind of a sham, it's all about dressing up to be beautiful... Some people take it to greater extremes than others. But generally I consider it an art form in of itself. Sure your body has to be shaped somewhat decently in order to seem appealing... people aren't generally fond of people shaped like hot air balloons, but apart from that, like with Aikido and a lot of other things it's not about what you've got, so much as what you do with it.

As for natural beauty, well in case you haven't noticed naked people are ugly, the only real reason people find it interesting is because of the taboo, it's only because it's risqué. If it wasn't something we're not supposed to see (by societal standards) it would just be ugly to everyone.

... Since we seem to be on to sexy men I have to say Geralt of Rivea is hawt.

He does that whole older guy with the strength thing so well. He is slightly less attractive when he's being dark and broody though... which is the way every single picture depicts him. When in reality he's not like that most of the time... at least in the game... I've really gotta get around to reading the books.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 04, 2011, 03:00:38 am »

Cylon wins, sorry bros.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 04, 2011, 03:04:46 am »

hey human augmentation beats human wannabes anyday:

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 04, 2011, 03:40:33 am »

This sounds like a cop-out, but I feel that anything can be beautiful. Sometimes beauty can be difficult to see, but it's there in many forms; the composition of a face, the sound of a voice, the way someone moves and carries themselves, etc. As for most people who get optional plastic surgeries, I think they're fine, but I hope they eventually find some measure of emotional healing. Some experience or persistent idea must have pushed them to think cosmetic surgery was necessary to "correct" something natural, which I find very sad... and people who don't accept who they are tend to be a turn-off for me.

If you were born with a physical deformity, such as a cleft lip or a lazy eye which impairs your ability to live, that's one thing... but to shoot up on steroids for reasons of appearance, inject toxins or silicone into various parts of your body, or even wear makeup, is to succumb to weird ideals born from false conceptions on what a person is "supposed" to look like. People are "supposed" to look precisely as they do. Deal with it.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 04, 2011, 08:51:01 am »

[sarcasem]ALL THE OF ABOVE! Women must not have plasic surgery, makup, hair dye, must have natural hair, must not use accessories. And most definately must never wear clothes ever![/sarcasem]

My point is that unless we're talking about a pretty sunset or somebody who rolls out of bed in the morning and already looks like a god(dess), we aren't really talking about natural beauty.  It's all varying degrees of artifice.

The right clothes can make a huge difference in how somebody looks.  As can simply styling your hair in a different way.  Neither of these are really fundamentally altering your body the way plastic surgery does...  But they aren't exactly natural either.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 04, 2011, 08:55:10 am »

Oh, Well I don't even need to try to look this gorgeous ;) /fauxvanity
*Hugs*

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 04, 2011, 09:34:07 am »

Beauty is still in the eye and brain of the beholder; not what is being beheld. There is no intrinsic property that is interchangeable with beauty, and both "natural" and "artificial" are vague properties besides. I find the poll seems like a trick question because of this, and it looks like I'm the tenth or so person to notice and post.

If you were born with a physical deformity, such as a cleft lip or a lazy eye which impairs your ability to live, that's one thing... but to shoot up on steroids for reasons of appearance, inject toxins or silicone into various parts of your body, or even wear makeup, is to succumb to weird ideals born from false conceptions on what a person is "supposed" to look like. People are "supposed" to look precisely as they do. Deal with it.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 04, 2011, 10:56:53 am »

I'd like to rephrase my opinion on the matter:

Most things about a person can be beautiful as long as you like them enough.
This also counts for make-up and the likes.

The less I like you, of course, the uglier I will think your natural/artificial properties are.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 04, 2011, 12:28:17 pm »

While some things really do make a person more beautiful, I am very heavily on the side of disliking makeup, highlights, and other "enhancers". The beautiful woman is a person who is self confident and superbly healthy, with a good set of emotions and intelligence, and preferably availability (though thats debatable).

Some things speak very highly to this: smiling, standing up straight, cleanliness, friendliness, imaginative personality

Some things
Makeup is usually designed to simulate arousal - the reason lipstick, blush, fingernail polish, and so forth are a red tint is to simulate increased blood flow when you're turned on.
Makeup can also occasionally fall under cleanliness - hiding zits or scars, smoothing skin tone, etc.
being "skinny" also occasionally falls under this - most people in the US are overweight and thus unhealthy. In other cultures obesity is highly valued, and still others a moderate weight is.

However, every time that one of these things is used, it is generally noticeable and also generally completely false. Red lipstick does not mean an aroused woman.
Makeup does not mean a clean woman or a confident woman. Being skinny does not mean healthy (especially when alternative methods are used to become skinny). When I see these things, I generally think the exact opposite of what they are supposed to mean.

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16