Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Linux Dwarves  (Read 3174 times)

Lasander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Linux Dwarves
« on: January 03, 2011, 02:02:03 am »

I am not sure if this is the right place for this or not but I am new to Linux and was wondering how safe is it to run the Windows version Dwarf Fortress and Dwarf Therapist under Wine.  I fail at getting the Linux versions to work and the Linux version of Dwarf Therapist is very buggy from what I hear anyways.
Worship!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Linux Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 02:04:25 am »

"Safe?" The worst that will happen is the software closes itself and doesn't harm any other files.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 02:43:42 am »

Which distribution are you using?

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 03:28:05 am »

"Safe?" The worst that will happen is the software closes itself and doesn't harm any other files.
This. Speed is bigger concern, but generally DF runs fine on wine.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 06:12:27 pm »

Yes it will probably work fine 99% of the time in wine, and the worst that will happen is it will crash.

None the less, I strongly suggest putting the effort in to get the linux binary working, simply because if other games are anything to go by the speed difference will be considerable. I'm not sure what problem you are having, but if you post it here someone will probably be able to help.

As for dwarf therapist on linux, I haven't used it recently but last time I did use it it worked fine.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Daveorock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 07:26:25 pm »

Simpler version of this whole post (to save your time if your familiar with terminals and troubleshooting):
Extract the files.
Open your favorite terminal.
cd to /somedir/df_linux
then type ./df

Yay (wow it thinks "yay" isn't a word :P), I'm not the only one using Linux. I can help you on getting the Linux version of the game to run, but not Dwarf Therapist, and I'll explain it as simply as I can. Download the Linux version, then find where it is located (it will be the box that is labeled "df_31_18_linux.tar.bz2), probably in Home/(Your account name here)/Downloads. Extract it by right clicking, and click "Extract here", then it will extract and then the computer will automatically name the file df_linux, it will end up in the Downloads folder too. If I were you, I'd move the df_linux file into your account folder (the one after home, labeled your account name if you haven't figured that out yet :D) to make the next step easier.

After that, go into your favorite terminal (If you don't know what that is, PLEASE look it up as you won't be able to use Linux like your supposed to.) and type in one of the following:

If you did not move the file into your account folder, type this into your terminal (don't forget to capitalize D)
cd Downloads/df_linux

If you did move the file into your account folder, type this:
cd df_linux

Now type in (./df) (without the perenthesis, so just ./df) and the game should run, UNLESS you don't have the libraries you need, IN SUCH A CASE, I can only help you partway. If it tells you it cannot find a certain library, tell me, and I might be able to put up the command you need to put in the terminal to get it, but I'll tell you the 2 I had to do (plus one the wiki says you might need):

(I did NOT have to do this one, you might though) Type into your terminal: sudo apt-get install ia32-libs getlibs
(I had to do this one) Type into your terminal: sudo getlibs -l libSDL_image-1.2.so.0
(I also had to do this one) And also type into your terminal: sudo apt-get install libSDL-ttf2.0-0

Some of those it might say it already has, good for you! You just wasted about 3 seconds typing someting you didn't need but anyway... Every time you want to run the game on Linux again, you'll have to type into your terminal:
cd df_linux
./df

Hope I helped, and that I didn't just waste about 2 minutes of your time to read this when you might want to run it on wine anyway.
Twenty seconds after the collapse, 14 dwarves hit the ground simultaneously.
EDIT: make that 15. Not sure what took that last one so long.
Urist McLemming cancels Fall: Dangerous Terrain

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 11:53:13 pm »

(I did NOT have to do this one, you might though) Type into your terminal: sudo apt-get install ia32-libs getlibs

Somewhat competent Debian user here.  You only need ia32-libs if you are on an x86-64 or IA-64 processor/OS combination.  If you are using an IA-32 OS then you don't need ia32-libs and probably can't get it from the package manager anyway.

It's also worth noting that there are Dwarf Therapist repositories for Ubuntu 10.04/10.10 and Debian Sid users.  The repositories are listed here.  If you are on Ubuntu 10.04/10.10 or Debian Sid this is the easiest way of getting hold of DT.  If you're not on Ubuntu 10.04/10.10 or Debian Sid but you are on a Debian based distribution then you should ask for a repository for your distro in the DT thread.

Lasander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 01:37:14 am »

Thanks for the replies! ^ _^

I run Fedora 14.  The ./df in the terminal did the trick.
After finding the libSDL_ttf-2.0.so.0 library Dwarf Fortress runs now.  However, I had to find that library on the Internet and that made me uncomfortable because I trust the repositories more than some random site.

Dwarf Therapist doesnt run yet.  Something about missing symbols >.<
Code: [Select]
./bin/DwarfTherapist: symbol lookup error: ./bin/DwarfTherapist: undefined symbol: _ZN9QHashData14detach_helper2EPFvPNS_4NodeEPvEPFvS1_EiiThe thing is I cant play DF without the rapist. The internal GUI is just too unmanageable for me after so many dwarves -- back to banging on it till it works O.o
Worship!

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 03:02:35 am »

./bin/DwarfTherapist: symbol lookup error: ./bin/DwarfTherapist: undefined symbol: _ZN9QHashData14detach_helper2EPFvPNS_4NodeEPvEPFvS1_Eii

Looks like you're missing libphonon4.  Don't ask how I summoned the google-fu needed to extrapolate this information.

Lasander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 03:44:19 am »

Looks like you're missing libphonon4.  Don't ask how I summoned the google-fu needed to extrapolate this information.

Oh I wont ask :P

Seems I am hitting a dead end on this one however...
Can't install /home/Lasander/phonon-4.4.2-1.fc14.i686.rpm as no transaction
I will have to mess with it tomorrow.
Worship!

NerfJihad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 04:55:10 pm »

$ sudo apt-get install mercurial

$ sudo apt-get install qt4-qmake qt4-dev-tools

$ hg clone https://dwarftherapist.googlecode.com/hg/ dwarftherapist

$ cd dwarftherapist

$ qmake

$ make

$ ./bin/release/DwarfTherapist
YMMV with which development libraries you'll need.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 11:29:54 pm »

$ cd dwarftherapist
$ qmake
$ make

He's on Fedora, so...
:s/apt-get/yum/g

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 10:23:57 am »

$ cd dwarftherapist

$ qmake

$ make

YMMV with which development libraries you'll need.

Running Arch here, all I needed was the Qt package (other than make and gcc of course)
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

chronic.crash

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 03:14:19 pm »

I was having a problem with the ia32-libs and it not being available (especially with getlib being not available for ubuntu 10.10).  Was pounding my head against the keyboard and I don't download object files seperately...too many compromised ones out there.  It wasn't until I installed the python port of SDL that I saw the libraries I was missing imported.  so, if you go for the python-pygame install, it's easy from there.
sudo apt-get install python-pygame

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 08:56:37 am »

if "safe" is a concern for windows virus's and such, check out this:
http://www.linux.com/archive/feed/42031

We've tried for full compatibility for virus's, but we just can't get there yet :)
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...
Pages: [1] 2