Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 2011 Predictions  (Read 4964 times)

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
2011 Predictions
« on: January 02, 2011, 10:16:28 pm »

It's a little late to be posting predictions, but whatever. I have looked into my !crystal glass window!, and seen the future of Dwarf Fortress. Crytek will cut a deal with Toady. Dwarf Fortress will be developed on the Crysis engine to ensure that they will have a published game with system requirements beyond the scope of any high end home computer. The forums will be deluged with pictures of the new ideal Dwarf Fortress hardware setup: a garage packed with clustered high end machines, commercial rooftop cooling systems jury-rigged to compensate for massive over-clocking, and secondary power generators to compensate for the local grid's inability to meet their power needs. After a spate of garage fires the game will be outlawed in most countries, but find a new home in Russia. Dwarf Fortress Crysis will become that nation's unofficial past time, and the influx of foreign immigrants eager to get their Dwarf Fortress fix legally will significantly boost their economy. Eventually the US will "find" evidence of WMD's in Russia and invade, but by then it is too late. The combination of large numbers of clustered computing networks and advanced AI algorithms will give birth to new machine-based life. The war between man and machine will be bloody, but at the last moment a hero appears with a plan to defeat the machines. After several gratuitous fight scenes, love scenes, and a fight/love scenes(who knew a dildo could be a weapon and a toy in a PG-13 setting?) the hero and comrades manage to set the machine's booze stockpile on fire and save Earth. The hero is then cryogenically frozen in case something vaguely similar happens, but not his comrades because that would cost too much money for the sequel next catastrophe. Happy New Year.

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Predictions
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 10:40:18 pm »

Ditto
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 10:50:28 pm »

DF with crysis graphics? Sure, let's just wire up the moon to turn it into a big, orbital super computer to play DF... NASA, get on it! NAO!  :P

Deteramot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 10:56:49 pm »

All this happens over the course of a year? Wow. Must be jampacked with action.
I'm currently making a nice room for my legendary clerk. I always treat my legendaries with the greatest respect, giving them the best rooms and so on. Although the walls are mostly engraved with pictures of my miner starving to death after he fell down a well, so it's not too cheerful.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 11:00:21 pm »

Just wait untill 2012, when Toady starts the 'advanced string theory' ark.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 11:37:34 pm »

Ark of the Multiverse would be a good title for the sequel.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 12:05:12 am »

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 02:30:12 am »

It's a little late to be posting predictions, but whatever. I have looked into my !crystal glass window!, and seen the future of Dwarf Fortress. Crytek will cut a deal with Toady. Dwarf Fortress will be developed on the Crysis engine to ensure that they will have a published game with system requirements beyond the scope of any high end home computer. The forums will be deluged with pictures of the new ideal Dwarf Fortress hardware setup: a garage packed with clustered high end machines, commercial rooftop cooling systems jury-rigged to compensate for massive over-clocking, and secondary power generators to compensate for the local grid's inability to meet their power needs. After a spate of garage fires the game will be outlawed in most countries, but find a new home in Russia. Dwarf Fortress Crysis will become that nation's unofficial past time, and the influx of foreign immigrants eager to get their Dwarf Fortress fix legally will significantly boost their economy. Eventually the US will "find" evidence of WMD's in Russia and invade, but by then it is too late. The combination of large numbers of clustered computing networks and advanced AI algorithms will give birth to new machine-based life. The war between man and machine will be bloody, but at the last moment a hero appears with a plan to defeat the machines. After several gratuitous fight scenes, love scenes, and a fight/love scenes(who knew a dildo could be a weapon and a toy in a PG-13 setting?) the hero and comrades manage to set the machine's booze stockpile on fire and save Earth. The hero is then cryogenically frozen in case something vaguely similar happens, but not his comrades because that would cost too much money for the sequel next catastrophe. Happy New Year.
NO, IT'S TOO LONG FOR MY SIGNATUUUUUURE!

Wait... does that imply that Toady survives all this, and is still coding in a bunker after the machine war?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 03:12:45 am »

Wait... does that imply that Toady survives all this, and is still coding in a bunker after the machine war?
Of course. Toady will be protected so that he can code us new universes to go live in. The name "Ark of the Multiverse" is derived from function - "Multiverse" because it generates universes, and "Ark" because it is meant to save us from a great flood. Of course, this flood is a flood of magma, so it doesn't tie in quiet as directly to Semitic mythology as it could, but it's close enough.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 03:58:59 am »

The computer cores will be situated in the Siberian tundras. Unfortunately, not even the negative 80 degrees will contain it and Siberia will turn into a lush tropical robot resort.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 06:19:18 am »

What the fuck did I just read.

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 07:44:48 am »

We'll be protecting Toady because he is the only one who knows how to stop the machines.  The machines will protect him because they all want to be reals boys dwarfs.  Of course he'll live!

In all seriousness though, I'm not expecting much in updates what with him concentrating on larger arcs and all.  We'll probably get some large ones, but with limited capacity to use them yet (Big events, not much in the way of player activities though).  But it will make late this year/earlier next year FREAKING AWESOME.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 08:27:11 am »

Dude you forgot BAYNET
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

NightS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 03:53:11 pm »

Toady will be like Mr House in Fallout New Vegas!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 04:39:31 pm »

The computer cores will be situated in the Siberian tundras. Unfortunately, not even the negative 80 degrees will contain it and Siberia will turn into a lush tropical robot resort.

What about Antarctica?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: [1] 2 3