Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lake and river oddness  (Read 1103 times)

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
Lake and river oddness
« on: January 02, 2011, 10:01:58 pm »

I embarked on a river and freshwater lake combo. One begin oddity though. The river doesn't flow. The water doesn't move. To generate power with my waterwheels, I had to set up a water pump to force the water to move. Does make it interesting in that if I turn of the pump the waterwheels will stop.
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
  • It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky.
    • View Profile
Re: Lake and river oddness
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 10:40:01 pm »

Are you sure it's a river? Brooks do not power waterwheels unless you channel them first.
"That is the most amazing thing I have ever read ever."
- Friend's reaction to Bronzemurder

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 10:43:32 pm »

Is there an indication of flow in the river? That is, is there a marked change in the ~ symbols that make up the river as it goes, or are they all blue double-tildes?

The game may consider the river as part of the lake, and therefore a stable body of water. Just a theory, as I've never embarked on a lake before.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Freya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 01:13:40 pm »

The water in the lake is filling the river. It's happened to me with an ocean before. If you drain the lake, it will start flowing again.

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 05:29:44 pm »

Are you sure it's a river? Brooks do not power waterwheels unless you channel them first.
It's a river. The tiles are dark blue, not light blue.

Is there an indication of flow in the river? That is, is there a marked change in the ~ symbols that make up the river as it goes, or are they all blue double-tildes?

Yeah, no movement. All double tildes. At least until I start up the pump/reactor. An easy fix, just odd.
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.