Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: i have a sword, but want more info about it,  (Read 1822 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Re: i have a sword, but want more info about it,
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 02:54:37 pm »

Infantry or artillery officer's sword. Toledo is known for swordmaking, Spain had a tradition of swordsmen, and all the European powers were issuing swords to officers around 1890. So I would imagine it was a symbolic weapon issued to an officer around the turn of the century. However it is in very bad shape and I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't found on a Spanish Civil War battle site.

It is NOT a rapier, sabre, cutlass, pirate sword, or nobleman's weapon. It was probably made along with a few hundred like it in a workshop in Toledo to fill a government contract, much like many Japanese officer's "katanas" from WWII. However it is authentic and pretty cool.

That is the original pommel though, and this sword has not been taken apart. It couldn't be taken apart. The pommel was bradded on with a peen hammer, precisely as it has been done for a hundred years. Most 'wallhangers' and even some military swords of the time are screwed together with a nut. Thus, this sword is not a knock off, not fake, not shoddy. It was as well made in manufacturing as any other like it, but isn't especially combat worthy because it was never meant to be.

The "excess blade" theory is possible, but I doubt it to be probable.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 02:59:39 pm »

I'm really mystified by the hilt. Looks like two stylized fish or dolphins. Been looking through the iconography and it's not ringing a bell. The more I look it, the more I wonder if it wasn't Toledo-made (possibly by a lesser quality sword factory in Toledo...not as sure on the inscription as I was) but intended for export (for instance, a great many US Army swords were made in Toledo through the 1800's).

I'm agreed with Nikov -- this wasn't a combat weapon. The lack of a substantial handguard or crossguard would have been bad news in a real fight. I'm not entirely sure it's not a naval sword, given the pommel design.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 03:04:09 pm »

I think the best thing we can say is you didn't get ripped off.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 04:40:18 pm »

B12, I am impress.

Yeah, I agree about it most likely being ceremonial, I think I mentioned that earlier, but you made good points about the hilt.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 05:35:26 pm »

I'm agreed with Nikov -- this wasn't a combat weapon. The lack of a substantial handguard or crossguard would have been bad news in a real fight.
Not a cavalry sabre -- there's no handguard. Virtually all European cavalry sabres either had a bellguard or D-hilt. And the pommel design is rather interesting.
I completely disagree, check out the Shishka - doesn't even have a cross, and is definitely a combat weapon.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 05:38:50 pm »

But did any other Spanish combat blades lack handguards?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 05:41:02 pm »

That I don't know, just as neither of us does. Still, the conclusion that no handguard=not a cavalry weapon is proven false.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 05:42:27 pm »

I think that may be inaccurate in Spain.
Pages: 1 [2]