Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aluminum weaponry  (Read 799 times)

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Aluminum weaponry
« on: January 02, 2011, 05:17:16 pm »

My smith just made an aluminum battle axe. I tried comparing the material properties on the wiki, but aside from aluminum having the same max_edge as iron and steel i don't understand the rest of the values.
Anyone have an idea if aluminum is a good material for edged weapons?

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Aluminum weaponry
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 06:15:49 pm »

It is very light, so I'd say probably not. Exactly how good I'm not sure, but not as good as iron if they have the same max edge. Adamantine is even lighter, but has a much better edge than any other metal.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 06:23:36 pm »

Density: 2,7
impact Yield: 70
impact Fracture: 175
impact Elasticity: 921
Shear yieald: 20
Shear fracture: 50
Shear elasticity:  77

Light weapon, closer to wood than iron.
Low impact yield: less than bone. Not good for blunt weapons.
Impact fracture less than bone. Not good.
Impact elasticity: almost as high as steel. This is very bad, as the elasticity of steel is a drawback.
Shear yield: very bad. cuts worse than leather!
Shear fracture. better than wood but still very bad!
Shear elasticity: very low. this is good

The weapon is, according to my very inexperienced analysis, poorly performing against anything with armor. The only good thing about it is that it doesn't deform very much when cutting through a soft tissue. I would guess this, along with the light weight, gives the wielder more attacks, yet very weak attacks. I would only use this light and sharp weapon against unarmed foes, like troglodytes!

... Actually I have no idea what I am talking about, I just took values from the wiki and I'm taking guesses here. I suggest you put it in a weapontrap in a 1x1 pit and try it out on prisoners. If it works great against them then remove it from the trap and bring the wrath of armok upon their heads ... and if it doesn't perform very well just leave it there and watch as it cuts your enemies into slow, painful ribbons!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 06:31:21 pm by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 10:11:07 pm »

My axedwarfs didn't chose it over even no quality steel axes, but thanks for the analysis (knowing which value means what is gonna be helpful for further artifact weapons) i might try it in a trap if something other than kobold thieves ever visits my fort. As i have masterwork bluemetal weapons now i won't need it on my dwarfs. I'll prolly just leave it in a bin for my next adventurer to play around with.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 10:43:06 pm »

My axedwarfs didn't chose it over even no quality steel axes, but thanks for the analysis (knowing which value means what is gonna be helpful for further artifact weapons) i might try it in a trap if something other than kobold thieves ever visits my fort. As i have masterwork bluemetal weapons now i won't need it on my dwarfs. I'll prolly just leave it in a bin for my next adventurer to play around with.

Mind the kobolds. They've stolen two precious artifacts from me recently.

I'm so upset I'm executing the militia commander, as he was supposed to be wearing one of them and his friggin military equipment screen showed a green little mark "dude i'm wearing it don't worry"
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

CaptRory

• Bay Watcher
  • One manly, dwarvenly, Mr. Saturn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 10:48:10 pm »

I keep my artifact storage in a small room down a long narrow corridoor off of my main barracks.

I need to get some trained war animals chained in that hallway hehe.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 06:55:28 am »

build it in a weapon trap for the king/queens room!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 07:03:02 pm »

how to storage artifacts?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 07:59:10 pm »

how to storage artifacts?
Easiest way is to make a custom stockpile that accepts only artifact-quality items of the artifacts' types. This won't give you any benefit for having the artifact around, but at least it'll get them all in one place. For artifacts that are furniture, including buckets, chains, and mechanisms, and weapons, you can build a building (including weapon traps and wells) out of them to both get some use out of them and to increase their effective value (since you get the created item value and the architectural value out of them). Since dwarves cannot admire and get happy thoughts from artifacts that aren't part of a building, it's in your best interests to use them for this purpose.

There's also at least one mod that has a custom "workshop" that is a building that allows anything to be included in its construction. This allows you to build buildings that include any type of artifact, even otherwise-useless ones like perfect gems, adding fortress wealth and allowing happy thoughts to be generated from them.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

CaptRory

• Bay Watcher
  • One manly, dwarvenly, Mr. Saturn
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 08:35:37 pm »

Ita not a bad idea to have a secure clearinghouse for your artifacts while you prepare a home for them. Whether its an axe, a chair, or a bucket, its good to have a secure place to hold stuff while you work out what you're gonna do with it. You don't want it lifted by a thief or grabbed to haul water or lye or something.

But yeah, I made a stockpile that accept all artifact quality stuff regardless of material, type of item, etc. And given the uselessness of the artificats I've recieved so far, its never going to be emptied.