Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- [Look at SECOND spoiler]  (Read 6035 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- [Look at SECOND spoiler]
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 09:43:37 pm »

Well, I don't think that dwarven cities actually go completely kaput when you abandon now - I think the game 'resets' the zone with a same-race group, as long as you abandon during peace times...  could be worth testing.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 10:19:58 pm »

Nearly all fantasy settings have dwarves (nearly( wiping themselves out or, more often, digging too deep.  This sort of scenario will be more interesting/rational when the dwarf civilizations are wiped out but individuals and groups can still exist and roam/settle the map.

The latter happens in Adventure Mode already. If an abandoned site has a neighboring city close at hand, inhabitants of one will move to another.

I've had humans move out of a castle into an abandoned fortress (some of the former dwarven inhabitants also remained there albeit with a different group name) and have seen dwarves move into a conquered goblin city. One of the buildings that was empty the first time I visited it even had a dwarf merchant move in and declare it a shop. He didn't bring any coins or items though so the trade screen was just empty on his side.

sharpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 02:08:43 am »

Will you post the map?  I'd like to check this out. :D

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 02:29:01 am »

Post the save

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
  • Marxism - For those who VALUE their Booze...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 08:40:17 am »

Post the save
How do I do that?, sorry
This is an enscribed adamantine dwarf-leg hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes OF SHEER AWESOMENESS.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 09:40:33 am »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/

That's a place to upload DF-related stuff.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 09:50:09 am »

On a somewhat related note...

What would be the least fortress-effecting raw change that would significantly increase chances of dwarves being extinct on world gen?

Been wanting to do a last dwarves fort, but don't feel like rolling forever for one, and don't want to give dwarves huge handicaps with raw editing.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 11:28:14 am »

This actually sounds like fun.
Could we simulate the recreation of a dwarfish civilization? Found 1 fort high up, with the hard coded waves, make sure your population reaches 150. Then abandon.

After than create a new fortress nearby and do the same. Dig, build, abandon and then see if the dwarves migrate over from the other fort as an adventurer.

I know its not like we have a real dwarfish civilization, but it could possibly lead to some sort of quasi simulation perhaps.

Vague unfinished thoughts - forgive me, I need coffee.

mmm coffeee....

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 12:03:26 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:42:22 pm by Bronimin »

Barakahzai

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 04:20:20 pm »

Just as a matter of curiosity but has any Dwarven civ been destroyed BY digging too deep and releasing demons?

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 06:31:20 pm »

Just as a matter of curiosity but has any Dwarven civ been destroyed BY digging too deep and releasing demons?

Over a million fortresses has fallen to that

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 06:52:25 pm »

Over a million fortresses has fallen to that
I believe he meant the whole of Dwarven civilization, not just individual forts. Unless you meant that if every single fort was invaded by demons, that may do the trick... personally, seeing what demons do, I'm much more surprised by the fact digging too deep doesn't eradicate about all sentient life on the planet sooner or later.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 12:16:15 am »

I'm much more surprised by the fact digging too deep doesn't eradicate about all sentient life on the planet sooner or later.

Otherwise "Dig too deep" would be Number 1 on our To-do lists

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 12:21:05 am »

Could we simulate the recreation of a dwarfish civilization? Found 1 fort high up, with the hard coded waves, make sure your population reaches 150. Then abandon.
If you read the legend; after abandoning the fort everyone will scatter into the wild thus there'd be no one left in said fort.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Lupus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 04:28:06 am »

Yeah this is the perfect last dwarves scenario.  In previous versions, having no dwarf civ meant you wouldn't get migrants (Except for possibly the first wave)

If that's still true you could set up an isolated, multi-generational fort.

First two migrant waves are hard-coded, so bank on about 20 dwarves no counting births within the fortress.
Good for FPS, not so much for productivity. Haulers will be at a premium.
No, if you are on an island or in a specific age you will get no migrants, Its not hardcoded.
Pages: 1 [2]