Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best visualizer for 0.31.18?  (Read 2142 times)

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Best visualizer for 0.31.18?
« on: January 02, 2011, 02:45:14 pm »

Title.

I'd want a visualizer that is:
  • Easy to use
  • Looks simple
  • Shows multiple Z-levels at once, AND shows only 1 Z level at once (selectable option, so I could watch a single floor or a large statue etc.)

If anyone has a screenshot, that would be cool (to see what kind of image it gives)
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
Re: Best visualizer for 0.31.18?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 01:12:52 pm »

Any visualiser for .18?
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 01:21:56 pm »

Any visualiser for .18?
I'm afraid I don't understand that question.

I'm not looking for anything specific, just something that looks nice.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

sjaakwortel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 01:41:25 pm »

there are only two, stonesense and overseer
Quote from: Greep on May 08, 2010, 07:55:20 pm
do dwarves move any slower when using the stairs?
Compared to falling? Yes.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 01:43:27 pm »

Overseer was pretty good, I suspect it works with 31.18 by now. It's a bit like Visual Fortress from the older versions, but compatible with more things. Still a work-in-progress, last I checked it didn't have water yet but they might have done that by now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I might have been running it on low quality when I took that picture. Search the General Discussion forum for it.

There's also Stonesense, which I don't like but mainly because it's not very good for taking really big pictures.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 02:18:41 pm »

Overseer was pretty good, I suspect it works with 31.18 by now. It's a bit like Visual Fortress from the older versions, but compatible with more things. Still a work-in-progress, last I checked it didn't have water yet but they might have done that by now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I might have been running it on low quality when I took that picture. Search the General Discussion forum for it.

There's also Stonesense, which I don't like but mainly because it's not very good for taking really big pictures.

Stonesense is actually pretty good for taking big pictures; it's just that the pictures are, well, really big. For example, I recently uploaded an embark location to show off the two 150+ z-levels tall spire-mountains spearing up from the glacier:
http://img.ie/2ba36.png.html
Click the pic for it's true size: 4608x5652 (it's like XBOX HUEG).

To take pictures like this, you have to do a few things. Firstly, to increase the z-level depth shown, either hold control and scroll down with the mouse, or go into the init.txt and edit the line that says [SEGMENTSIZE:x], so that the "x" is the z-levels you need.

Then navigate in Stonesense to where you want to take the picture, and hit Ctrl+F5, which captures the entire map. Hitting F2 beforehand clears away the overlays to make it screenshot-friendly.

Keep in mind that at my current knowledge, both Overseer and Stonesense need to have the Memory.xml from the latest dfhack set to be compatible with 31.18, and Stonesense will not depict creatures with it (thus why there are no dwarves near the wagon in the above image)
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 03:45:23 pm »

Well, I like stonesense's style, so I'll try to get it work tomorrow.

Bordellimies cancels Lurk at the computer: Resting.