Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Processing Goblins  (Read 1709 times)

feather240

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Processing Goblins
« on: January 02, 2011, 02:25:09 pm »

I started caging goblins, but I've ran into a snag. I don't actually know what to do with the goblins I catch. I keep on hearing stories about stealing their weapons and clothes and letting soldiers train on them, but I don't how to do that. Does anyone know the best way to process these goblins for my arena? (I suppose I can always let them fight elves, but that's missing the point.)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Re: Processing Goblins
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 02:28:28 pm »

use d + b and select all the gobbo cages to dump.
then unforbid the cages with k.

should take all their gear off them. if it dont work, just do same but without the unforbid the cages with k. wait till its dumped, then reclaim the cage. the goblin will now be stark nacked and almost entierly harmless to any millatery dwarf with a weapon or armour. walla.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 02:31:06 pm »

^ Whatever he said.

Use him to train your dwarves, take the naked gobbo and make him fight against a new recruit or two(geared)
Or feed them to your dogs.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 02:35:28 pm by Bordellimies »
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

feather240

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 02:36:47 pm »

Feeding them to the dogs sounds Fun, but I want to have more Fun. They've already taken two of my forts and all the legendary engravers inside. They must pay for their crimes.

(By the way is Toady ever implementing torture devices?)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 02:39:06 pm »

To strip a goblin of just their weapons, you need a bookkeeper who has been working with at least some degree of precision. Go into the (z)Stocks screen, scroll down to the Weapons category, and go through marking every goblin weapon for dumping. Note that there isn't necessarily an easy way to tell what weapons are goblin weapons and which aren't, though if your own weaponry is all high-quality or steel that works reasonably well. Dwarves will go to the goblin cages, take out the weapons, carry them to a garbage dump zone, and put them there.

To strip a goblin of weapons and armor, use the d-b-d mass dumping designation cursor. Designate the tile the goblin's cage is in for dumping. This will mark every item in that tile, including all of the goblin's equipment, for dumping. It will also mark the cage itself, though, which is undesirable, so, using the loo(k) cursor, go to the cage itself and remove the dump mark. As before, dwarves will go to the cage, take items mark for dumping out of it, and take them to a garbage dump zone.

Once a goblin is disarmed, there's a couple ways of getting them into an arena.

The first is to channel out the ceiling of the arena, designate the open space so created as a (i)zone set as a (p)it/pond, then use the (P)it information submenu off of there to set the goblins to be dropped in. Dwarves will go to the goblin cages, take the goblins out, drag them to the pit, and toss them in.

The second way is to build the cages in the arena, link a lever to them, then pull the lever. The cages will open, releasing the goblins, once the lever is pulled.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 02:39:18 pm »

Keep them in cages (naked) and make azoo around them. Have the dwarves laugh at them, this should be humiliating for them.

After you catch something cool (dragons or something else like that) make them fight against it.

Or have them be target practice for marksdwarves. Make them carry 1 wooden bolt at a time, so the gobbo doesn't die to an instant barrage of bolts.

Oh, almost forgot. Leave their socks on.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

feather240

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 02:52:27 pm »

So if I decided to throw a goblin in a pit it won't fight back well it's being lead?

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 02:53:40 pm »

Well, you most likely want to link the cage to a lever so it gets out only when it can't kill anyone.

ch00beh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 03:09:46 pm »

Usually a pitted gobbo is too busy trying to escape than to fight back, though they'll throw the occasional attack out once in a while.

feather240

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 03:34:18 pm »

Meh, I'll just use the lever system on the cages. Sounds safer.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 05:34:24 pm »

But pitting is fun because they can fall a billion z levels to their death (on a *steel spike*).
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 05:39:20 pm »

Meh, I'll just use the lever system on the cages. Sounds safer.
Release them in the dining room so that the civilians know what you're protecting them against.

Note: if the goblin in question turned up with a stuffed doll and a bristle moustache in its inventory, this may not go so well for you.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Fwoosh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 06:14:34 pm »

Especially if your sheriff is a human tree hybrid with some serious issues.  :)

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 06:17:36 pm »

use d + b and select all the gobbo cages to dump.
then unforbid the cages with k.

should take all their gear off them. if it dont work, just do same but without the unforbid the cages with k. wait till its dumped, then reclaim the cage. the goblin will now be stark nacked and almost entierly harmless to any millatery dwarf with a weapon or armour. walla.

I actually do that, but is there a way to only take their weapons? I think they would be a better training tool while wearing armor :D

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 07:40:47 pm »

Heres what I'm planning on doing.
taking all my goblin prisoners into a giant arena (soon to be build) and then releasing them and placing a huge amoutn of wooden weapons and armor in their area.

then I'm releasing a dragon on the other side

WILL THE GOBLIN ARMIES BE ABLE TO SLAY THE MIGHTY DRAGON?!
Pages: [1] 2