Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dented foot  (Read 3822 times)

Teamwork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dented foot
« on: January 02, 2011, 12:07:06 pm »

I have a dwarf that is critically damage and he has a dented foot. It was one of my milita guys. If it helps he also has motor nerve damage and cannot stand anymore.
Urist McUseless: Stop right there, criminal scum! Nobody defies mandates on MY watch!
Urist McInnocent: Bite me!

*CENSORED DUE TO EXTREMELY GRATUITOUS VIOLENCE*

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: Dented foot
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 12:17:24 pm »

"Dented" means there's a chunk missing from it. Imagine that the skin, muscle, and fat from the top of your foot was ripped off, by a dog or something, and the bones were exposed. That's what your dwarf looks like. The motor nerve damage is permanent, meaning that this is no longer a militia guy, he's now your permanent hospital greeter.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Gzalzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Whisper Game Studios
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 12:17:35 pm »

A Dwarf with a "cannot stand" injury will never walk again. The Dwarf will lie around in beds and get fed until he dies of old age, or until you kill him.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 12:20:45 pm »

A Dwarf with a "cannot stand" injury will never walk again. The Dwarf will lie around in beds and get fed until he dies of old age, or until you kill him.

This isn't necessarily true; it depends on whether or not there is any nerve damage. "Cannot stand" is not automatically permanent, and the dwarf in question could conceivably heal whatever damage is keeping them from standing, if they don't succumb to infection first.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 12:26:29 pm »

Yeah, I suggest making a device to drown everyone in the hospital.

That dwarf is a useless sack of meat, bones and skin now, there's no reason to keep him.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 12:39:20 pm »

Should I feel more guilty for editing the raws to heal nerve damage or more guilty for putting down, euthanising kindly asking my crippled dwarves to test that the magma gorges fuel source is hot enough?
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Teamwork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 02:23:09 pm »

Whoa, I thought dented meant that his skin had a meager dip in it. :P I don't want to get rid of this guy becuase he is one of the only militia dwarves I have. 1 of 7. And also, don't motor nerves and sesory nerves eventually heal becuase my dad about a year ago cut him self with broken glass. Blood was gushing out of his thumb and he had lost feeling and the ability to move it. About a month later the deep cut fully healed and he had gotten back his ability to move it and to feel. I could see this not healing becuase it's a huge chuck of his foot is missing but I'm pretty sure that nerves eventually do grow back. The spine's another story though...
Urist McUseless: Stop right there, criminal scum! Nobody defies mandates on MY watch!
Urist McInnocent: Bite me!

*CENSORED DUE TO EXTREMELY GRATUITOUS VIOLENCE*

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 02:28:52 pm »

You should get rid of him. Even if he forms 1/7th of your population, he will do nothing but occupy a free bed, eat your food and drink stuff.

He will never do anything good for your fortress.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 02:39:27 pm »

Not true!
You now have a practice dummy for the docs. He's doomed anyway, so why not repeatedly injure him to train the surgeons?
*Hugs*

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 02:41:54 pm »

This lazy bum just sits in my bed, and if I remove it doesn't he just stay where the bed was? How could I move injured dwarves into locations where the could be injured?
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 04:17:16 pm »

Channel around the bed.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 06:26:35 pm »

Now you must find out if a bedridden dwarf can throw parties. Stick a statue next to his bed and make it a meeting hall.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 06:34:45 pm »

You should get rid of him. Even if he forms 1/7th of your population, he will do nothing but occupy a free bed, eat your food and drink stuff.

He will never do anything good for your fortress.
Yeah, just like nobles, and who kills no...oh, wait.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 06:41:12 pm »

Cripples are a great reminder to keep around. They constantly remind you of what a lame brained idea that was to go assaulting the goblin ambush without armor. Or to charge the goblin seige in leather with copper swords.

you should keep him there as a daily reminder of your pathetic failures.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 10:24:37 pm »

Making it so nerve damage heals isn't really cheating IMO since the crutches don't work now.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.
Pages: [1] 2