Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Oh, the heavenly ASCII  (Read 5293 times)

Bergelmir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh, the heavenly ASCII
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 02:12:25 pm »

I always use http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Tileset_repository#Tyrving. I do not like the default as it is not square. And graphics are not as clear for me as ASCII.

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 02:53:10 pm »

Yeah, I've always loved classic ASCII graphics. Sure, the rectanglular tiles can be a bit weird when designing things, but I still love the cleanliness and the beautiful simplicity of the ascii graphics. The graphics honestly seem more complicated than the vanilla ascii set.

If I ever do use a tileset, it'd be the old Anikki set with vertical (V ^) ramps. It looks like the standard set, but with sligtly different SQUARE tiles. The text is also really nice, too.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 03:50:55 pm »

tried maydays once for abit but mostly used vanilla ascii, after reading this thread and going to the tile et repo...

im amazed at how many custom ascii sets people have done, tempted to try the bt micro one

df goes... more retro
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 12:17:05 am »

Oh, I found the HD ASCII set, apparently.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=47236.0
It's not exactly the one I was thinking of, but so it goes. Maybe I'll never find the one I'm thinking of.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 06:19:15 pm »

I recently remembered this one. The captnduck tutorials had it, and I redownloaded it. It's nice.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Tileset_repository#Guybrush
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 06:26:25 pm »

To OP: Sounds like me. Started on tilesets, tried ASCII and never went back. 'Course, I do use a custom ASCII tileset(Dorten's), but it's basically ASCII.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 06:57:27 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60176.msg1355922#msg1355922

new id seen this, the matix tile set, more confusing than ascii, i might give it a run
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 07:57:28 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60176.msg1355922#msg1355922

new id seen this, the matix tile set, more confusing than ascii, i might give it a run
Trust me, it will break you. It's still awesome, though.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 10:08:54 am »

I prefer ASCII myself. Clean, readable and used quite cleverly in places.

That Matrix tileset is interesting... but having everything in shades of green is about as far as I'm willing to go there.

Kolbur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 11:42:43 am »

I honestly wonder why many people here say that the ASCII mode is clean.  ???
It's the noisiness of ASCII (like the . and , everywhere) that makes it unusable for me. Non-squareness and general unprettiness doesn't help either, but each to their own. I'm happy with the Mayday graphics.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 12:43:28 pm »

I have never had the desire to try tilesets (although the concept of ASCII tilesets is... intriguing).

Then again, one of my first PC gaming experiences was playing Rogue off a 5 1/4" floppy 20 years ago.

Wow. I feel very old now.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 01:01:33 pm »

I play using whatever tileset comes with Genesis when I'm alone. When there's someone around, though, I revert to ASCII purely for the "wtfs".
I might start using the Matrix tileset for that reason now though.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 06:42:42 pm »

I honestly wonder why many people here say that the ASCII mode is clean.  ???
It's the noisiness of ASCII (like the . and , everywhere) that makes it unusable for me. Non-squareness and general unprettiness doesn't help either, but each to their own. I'm happy with the Mayday graphics.
There's an init option to change the ground to all periods. And there's a square version of the default bundled with DF, just switch over.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

onodera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2011, 04:42:30 pm »

I've always played with a tileset (first with a custom one, now using Phoebus'), but found out that in adventure mode ASCII works better. Camps and other features are more noticeable and I can tell apart my swordsman sidekick and a bandit swordsman. I then tried paying dwarf mode in ASCII, and turns out it's perfectly playable. The only thing I miss is streamlined gem/ore designations.
[ETHIC:KILL_ENTITY_MEMBER:JUSTIFIED_IF_NOBLE]

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2011, 05:04:08 pm »

I enjoy playing with ASCII.  Never actually tried a tileset, so I can't say if I'd enjoy it as well.  I like that ASCII makes my creature-modding efforts easier; just have to assign it a symbol and I'm done, instead of worrying about drawing an image...

I've considered tilesets just for the fun of it, but every time I look at a screenshot of someone with one, inevitably they do something I don't like.  Like making the ohm (vanilla statue) symbol into an actual statue.  I use the ohm symbol for some modded creatures because its shape to me evokes cape-like wings folded over a figure (thus I use it, for example, for a humanoid dragon species.)  I don't want it being replaced by statues.  Hard-setting my ohms into statues removes that bit of creativity from my tile-assigning.  I mean, I could just draw them their own creature tile, but that's just a random example.

Plus I've seen places where parts of the actual text get changed into symbols too.  Like a [ getting turned into a shirt, so you have random little shirts scattered amongst the text.  Someone claimed to me that doesn't happen anymore, but I keep seeing things like that pop up in screenshots, so it can't be all that fixed.

Once full graphics support is in so I don't have text getting confuse'd with descriptive tiles and all that, I'll worry about tilesets more.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.
Pages: 1 [2] 3