Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Oh, the heavenly ASCII  (Read 5287 times)

Rubtazar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oh, the heavenly ASCII
« on: January 02, 2011, 08:12:07 am »

Soup, up until now I've been playing with a tile set. Some strange mood got me to try ye' olde vanilla graphics, and oh boy is it awesome. I don't know why i didn't do this ages ago.. looking at the screen and everything just seems like it belongs to it's place (except occasional elf not in my refuse stockpile)

Just wanting to know how many people still play with tileset?

And not to make this post completely useless, how do i make my babies age faster?

btbtbtbt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh, the heavenly ASCII
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 08:42:34 am »

The ASCII graphics are nice and clean, aren't they? I've personally never strayed from them since I started playing in 2D.

You can change the rate at which your dwarven children age by playing with the raw files in the data folder, although I haven't done much of that since version 40d, and even then not much modding really. I think you need to go into the file "creature_standard.txt" in the raws under both the data folder and your save folder and change the numbers under the tags [BABY:1] and [CHILD:12] under [CREATURE:DWARF] to something smaller, the numbers represent years until your dwarf changes from being a baby to a child, then from being a child to an adult from memory.

juanito89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 03:16:00 pm »

I use the Phoebus tileset, and have never tried playing the game in ASCII. I've seen videos of it, though, and in my opinion the tilesets make the better look better.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 03:33:58 pm »

Some tilesets share this cleanliness of form, including Phoebus and the "HD ASCII" tileset.
More graphically oriented ones such as Mayday or Ironhand, while they have their own charms, are indeed lacking in this.

But it's not really inherent to ASCII so much as a design thing.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 03:35:45 pm »

Damn there are too many topics exactly like this. It is ridiculous.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 03:48:43 pm »

I'd like to believe it's okay to start threads expressing your opinion on ASCII vs. Graphics as long as they don't explode into flame wars. That usually doesn't happen however.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

BaLLz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 03:52:57 pm »

Some tilesets share this cleanliness of form, including Phoebus and the "HD ASCII" tileset.
More graphically oriented ones such as Mayday or Ironhand, while they have their own charms, are indeed lacking in this.

HD ASCII? Can you link? Been looking everywhere for it!

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 04:03:08 pm »

I use Phobeus from Lazy Newb Pack, and it mostly works for me. The only confusing thing is humans, elves, goblins and dwarfs look too alike. I haven't playes ASCII so far, byt I'll probably try it at some point.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 04:12:35 pm »

I change between Pheobus and Ironhand for my graphic sets. To be honest, most of the work I do on my fortress is done through text screens (Such as c, v, labor screen, stockpiles screen, etc) instead of through the main interface. I only use that for seeing what my fortress looks like and construction, as well as to get the gist of whats going on.

So I could probably go ASCII without too much of a problem, I just cant stand the lack of anti-alias in the default graphic sets. The aforementioned HD ASCII sounds amazing for me.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 08:18:23 pm »

HD ASCII? Can you link? Been looking everywhere for it!
Nope. I have no idea where you could find a download of it.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 08:23:41 pm »

Aside from the dwarves and elves I use the mayday graphics and tileset. For the dwarves and elves (and soon humans) I use a graphics set I made for myself.

Dwarves
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Elves
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 08:54:38 pm by Flying Carcass »

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 09:06:13 am »

I'd like to believe it's okay to start threads expressing your opinion on ASCII vs. Graphics as long as they don't explode into flame wars. That usually doesn't happen however.
It's not that much okay if there are other threads about the exact same thing.

Samohan25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 10:55:43 am »

I personaly play using Phoebus and occasionaly Ironhand but I can understand ASCII fine as it is usialy used in succesion games, I just seem to prefer graphics, although one of the things I love about Phoebus is that the rock tiles show their uses, like plaster, flux. I may decide to try ASCII one day though.

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 11:03:32 am »

I love the original ASCII but I wanted just a little bit more. I needed higher definition square tiles that remained true to the original flavor. I find that this 16x16 tileset meets all of my needs and looks fantastic. I find it to be very clean and true to the original while providing me with the improvements I wanted.

It is my modification of the "Marble Dice" tileset in the repository - http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Tileset_repository#Marble_Dice
I blacked out the walls and floor tiles so that they don't "glow" when they have inscriptions with the special inscription graphics toggled off. I also made the gems look more like the original and fixed one of the river tiles not matching up exactly.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 01:18:31 pm »

That is beautiful, thank you so much :D
Pages: [1] 2 3