Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: "Dodging" trap  (Read 2651 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Dodging" trap
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 01:52:13 pm »

Remember to put deployed floor spikes at the bottom of your pit!

pit of spikes

Landing on spikes doesn't do anything beyond what falling on normal terrain would do. Only actually deploying the spikes hurts.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Gzalzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Whisper Game Studios
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 02:14:17 pm »

Landing on spikes doesn't do anything beyond what falling on normal terrain would do. Only actually deploying the spikes hurts.

Wiki disagrees (but by no means does that make you wrong).

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 02:34:57 pm »

Aww chucks, that means my outdoor traps are not working. Better make improvements.

Also, somebody said that this can be used to train dorfs to swim - How does one do it? Weapon traps don't activate on dwarves.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Ig88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 02:46:16 pm »

Aww chucks, that means my outdoor traps are not working. Better make improvements.

Also, somebody said that this can be used to train dorfs to swim - How does one do it? Weapon traps don't activate on dwarves.
Levers?

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 02:52:45 pm »

I didn't see choice to link a lever to a weapon trap, and my soldiers in danger room seem to stay completely still while the training spears bash their feet.

Do I just have bad eyesight? I hate to read trough long lists, might be that I just missed the option.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

ch00beh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 03:13:49 pm »

I can confirm that unlinked upright spear stab falling dudes. You might just need a higher pit.

Also, bonus points for the dodging traps if you use silver hammers and make the enemy fly off rather than dodge off.

Gzalzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Whisper Game Studios
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2011, 03:36:42 pm »

I didn't see choice to link a lever to a weapon trap, and my soldiers in danger room seem to stay completely still while the training spears bash their feet.

Do I just have bad eyesight? I hate to read trough long lists, might be that I just missed the option.

For upright spike traps, you need to "Link to Spears/Spikes"

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2011, 04:39:08 pm »

For upright spike traps, you need to "Link to Spears/Spikes"
That I do know, but my dorfs don't seem to dodge training spears. Not in danger rooms, at least.

I can confirm that unlinked upright spear stab falling dudes. You might just need a higher pit.

Also, bonus points for the dodging traps if you use silver hammers and make the enemy fly off rather than dodge off.
I'm going to make my pits a little deeper, not too deep so they can try to come at my kitten again.

I have a setup where the gobbos first have to walk a corridor filled with training axes, if they dodge they fall into the spikes. They can walk away and retry.
If they don't fall and die, a bunch of stone-fall traps await. If they survive them, they can have the kitten. Its not like I'd need them for anything.

Of course, after killing the kittens they have to walk back the corridor they came, and that might be harmful..

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2011, 05:05:01 pm »

What's the actual message you get? I'm curious if this was actually changed, because that never used to happen.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 05:58:34 am »

What's the actual message you get? I'm curious if this was actually changed, because that never used to happen.
the spinning upright spear strikes the dwarf in the arm.  something similar to that.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 06:07:27 am »

I did not know this. This is actually a brilliant idea, no matter how old it is.
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 06:16:41 am »

Yeah I love this one.  Seen it a few times here and heard them called 'Dodge-me traps'.

Two viable routes for me so far:

1. You fit decent weapons and take a combination of strikes/dodges to thin numbers somewhat.  in a large seige they will usually jam sooner or later and it prevents it getting overpowered, I like this because it lets my military play and means I dont just ignore seiges and get bored

2. You fit training weapons to minimize chances of kills/jams and use the fall to do the work.

Regarding the comment on installed spikes doing no damage beyond the fall itself.  This seems fairly debated and i've seen claims with certainty for both sides.  However, certain forum people whom I vastly respect for their encyclopedic knowledge of game mechanics have me assured that they DO deal additional damage.  You use upright spears/spikes and dont lever link them, as I understand it this feature was actually added quite a long time ago and I believe one of the legacy versions of DF even included it in the combat logs, though 2010 does not.

My current favorite is the training spear route, like Bordellimies I also leave ramps back out of the pit leading to the outside, bad guys dodging off the first trap fall 1z and immediately go again, those making it a little further suffer various degrees of manglement and crawl their bleeding asses back for another go or pass out under your marksdwarf towers. 

Its not necessary but its sadistic and I like it, sue me :p

Plus having no ramps into the pit means arranging a bridge/door/magma or some other viable method of retrieving corpses/goblinite
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 06:18:51 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 06:41:14 am »

Oh if only it was possible to order the construction of giant granite boxing gloves.

Would it make you happy were I do mod in giant gloves for your game, so that you could make these things?

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 06:49:24 am »

Oh if only it was possible to order the construction of giant granite boxing gloves.

Would it make you happy were I do mod in giant gloves for your game, so that you could make these things?

Yes, please!
I want this!

ENTIRE SIEGE IS BABIES!
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2011, 06:56:18 am »

Go to your raw files, and find the file called 'item_trapcomp.txt'.
Open that.
At the bottem, not the top, paste this code.

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_TRAPCOMP:ITEM_TRAPCOMP_UBERFIST]
[NAME:fist:fists]
[ADJECTIVE:giant]
[SIZE:2500]
[HITS:1]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:6]
[WOOD]
[METAL]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:100:5000:punch:punchs:NO_SUB:3000]

Go into 'entity_default.txt'.
Under [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] paste the following