Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Hi!, new gamer here!  (Read 2043 times)

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hi!, new gamer here!
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 08:10:05 am »

I might advise one of the tilesets if you're finding the graphics a bit difficult. Mayday for preference, but Phoebus is pretty good.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=28829.0

Make sure that you have Dwarf Therapist at all times. You may already have it, but you didn't mention it and it can't be left to chance, it's so important.

Two recommended mods (you can only have one at a time though):

Deon's Genesis - adds more plants, stone and minerals, more races (some friendly, some not), megabeasts have trapavoid (no more caged dragons unfortunately)

Fortress Defense - adds a ton of enemy races which will start attacking you fairly early. Strong military mandatory.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 09:52:59 am »

I suggest against any mods until you get the basic down and survive a siege or two.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 10:15:22 am »

I remember reading about recursive artifacts somewhere. One person noted that he thought it was funny that DF had infinitely recursive artifacts and all we said was, "Yeah, that happens occasionally."
So Boardward isn't so odd.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 06:11:04 pm »

I might advise one of the tilesets if you're finding the graphics a bit difficult. Mayday for preference, but Phoebus is pretty good.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=28829.0

Make sure that you have Dwarf Therapist at all times. You may already have it, but you didn't mention it and it can't be left to chance, it's so important.

Two recommended mods (you can only have one at a time though):

Deon's Genesis - adds more plants, stone and minerals, more races (some friendly, some not), megabeasts have trapavoid (no more caged dragons unfortunately)

Fortress Defense - adds a ton of enemy races which will start attacking you fairly early. Strong military mandatory.

Tnanks pal, yes I actually use both therapist (it really makes df playable!!) and phoebus graphics, and I even use dfcleanmap from dfhacks... it jumped my fps from about 11 to 24 !!

@rephikul: Actually I have survived a lot of sieges as you can read in my OP :p. I do, however like to play games vanilla atleast one time as a whole before modding (but I always end up modding them)

I had already contemplated using the defense mod, looks very nice, specially as I think traps are a bit overpowered, and I dont like the fact that nothing can brea a wall, which makes them also a bit chessy

I had in mind a mod that gives dwarves claustrophobia: if they cant reach an edge of the map after a while, they start getting bad fellings... so being sieged actually have consequences (right now, you can just retract a bridge and you are untouchable!)

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 11:03:29 pm »

Deon's Genesis -  megabeasts have trapavoid (no more caged dragons unfortunately)

actually I just got attacked by a dragon, and he passed right through 10 cage traps without problems

Edit: my bad, I just noticed that all traps no longer have cages... he burned them... all were wooden except a copper one, but he didnt step that one
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 11:05:05 pm by Krelian »

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 11:19:48 pm »

Bah with the clastrobia mod, dwarfs get it when above ground. I agree with you, on the game. Graphics are a little stinky, but in DF, you HAVE TO THINK, and plan. Beats most games now, on the market.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 05:11:19 pm »

Welcome tot he forum!

And I learned something new. I didn't know that Dragonfire can destroy weapon traps.
I'm pretty sure dragonfire is equivalent to magma in heat, so non-magma-safe mechanisms in the traps are likely the culprit.

Hmm! One more reason for my Obsidian Obsession to continue.
Everything rock, must be made of of Obsidian. <3

As for Krelian, Hi! Welcome!
Greater fun can be had with setting yourself bigger challenges and limiting yourself when it comes to using overpowered / broken things like Cage Traps.

I'm impressed your first fort didn't all starve.
Though back when the old-timers started playing, there was a lack of plentiful tutorials
Mine starved, of course, because I thought I had figured out farming, and didn't realise until it was too late that I had not... and I was too newbish to make them all forage for roots or something. But they all had a nice bedroom with a door and a bed to starve in, carved of good solid rock.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 05:14:44 pm by Naros »

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 05:28:01 pm »

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress Krelian.

Good work on your first fort!

Do try not to mind the merciless slaughter, imprisoning and sadistic torture of Elves.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 11:07:17 pm »

Thanks for the greetings :)

I'm impressed your first fort didn't all starve.

Before playing, I saw this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koZUS2h-Yzc

thought I got too excited after 4 or 5 videos like to keep watching, and went to play, but I saw enough to learn how to grow things up (the harder part was understanding the "wet soil" concept)

But isnt dead by thrist worst than by starvation?

Anyways, I have a question, I just found adamantine for the first time... it was in the 3rd cavern... all 3 caverns were almost on top of one another, like, betwen each one there was no more than a couple z levels.

This adamantine is at a deph of 40 from the surface (and 97 from the number at the bottom), is it normal to find it this "high" ?? I had the impresion it was like diamond in minecraft, like you had to go almost to the bottom to get it.

Also, what is the number at the bottom right? I mean, I know that is like counting from the bottom up, like the inverse of the number at the top right. But in this fortress the lowest I can get is 19, while in my previous fortress I could go even to negative numbers (pressing the < and >, I never mined that far)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 11:13:39 pm by Krelian »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 11:18:07 pm »

This adamantine is at a deph of 40 from the surface (and 97 from the number at the bottom), is it normal to find it this "high" ?? I had the impresion it was like diamond in minecraft, like you had to go almost to the bottom to get it.
You always find spoiler stone at or slightly below 3rd cavern, poking out from the magma sea. Its position vary depending on how deep your embark is.

Also, what is the number at the bottom right? I mean, I know that is like counting from the bottom up, like the inverse of the number at the top right. But in this fortress the lowest I can get is 19, while in my previous fortress I could go even to negative numbers (pressing the < and >, I never mined that far)
that number represent world depth, showing your relative z level on the world. There're gentle but definite slopes within the plane on which your fort reside, hence the number. There's no real use for it yet, baring some crazy multi-embark mega projects.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 11:25:01 pm »

thanks!

should I refrain from using that word btw? (as you did)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 11:29:05 pm »

should I refrain from using that word btw? (as you did)
RP ppl dont use the word "adamantine" cause they RP. I dont use it cause it's long and hard to type while "spoiler" is understood just fine. Suit yourself.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 11:41:32 pm »

Super spiffy metal was at once time, a part of the hidden fun stuff, and consider a community spoiler. Though in recent times that seem to have waned.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 11:46:20 pm »

Well once upon a time it was slighty harder to find then it is now, so it realy was a bit of a spolier.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 12:09:40 am »

another quick question...

well I found a hole in said stuff and a bunch of red bulls came through, but I managed to wall the place (but two soldiers were trapped, they died together, killing 12 of them before falling :<.. )

the thing is, my FPS dropped to like 5... from ~20... are they doing to be there for ever until dispached, or they kinda leave after a while, like sieges? because if they stay, the fortress is kinda lost anyways due to fps :/
Pages: 1 [2] 3