Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hi!, new gamer here!  (Read 2040 times)

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
Hi!, new gamer here!
« on: January 01, 2011, 05:56:32 pm »

Hello, Im Krelian, kinda new to DF, and totally loving it.

Well, I discovered minecraft on youtube around september this year, and then, in that game's forums I discovered references to DF... arround november I think... not sure, time flow have been a bit unstable since then, as now its new year and I remember so little of my life the last 2 months.

Well at first I was like "what the hell with those graphics", but not that bad as I have played some roguelike games before. Im not a graphics mad. But you have to admit, 1 of every 100 guys must reject DF only because of it. Well I saw some very good tutorials on youtube (about 5 or 6 chapters only tho), just to see what was it about...  and man, i loved it. Its like settlers for grown ups (I used to love that series). Also, those videos helped me to start "seeing" the game world behind the initially blurry graphics, a bit like those guys who see the matrix in monitors xD.

Anyway, I started my first fort very happily, and happily every one of the 7 dwarves died of thirst after some time. So yeah, first lesson was, first take care of basic needs, THEN start digging a big fort.

My second fort was much more succesfull. First newbie mistake: I made the straight stairway from the main hall, right to the surface. And damn rhesus macaques stealing things. I must say, the thing I enjoy the most are the super detailed anatomy and medicine problems. This guy lost an eye, this guy have no leg, this guy bled to death after a single bite to an artery in a leg, etc.
After some 20 deads from ambushes, I made a super wall all arround the map edges (4x4 embark). And two entrances, all full of weapon traps. Enemies almost stopped being a problem. Then, the first Siege, my fort had about 140 pop, including the 20 man army. The enemy: about 10 crossbow goblins.. all died at the traps. Then an Hydra came, died at the traps. Then two more sieges, first one with some 40 goblings and a couple trolls. Same thing. Then another with like innumerable goblins. Same fate. I was beggining to think "they kinda overshoted when described the game as destined to lose". Then a dragon came. Same thing. BUT, the dragon shot a firebreath at a poor guy cleaning the weapons traps at the entrance, before dying. I was like "oh well, natural selection" but about 1 minute later, SIEGE. And THEN I realice, the dragon burned up like 8 of the 10 weapon traps in the gate! Damn. I call my 20 man army to the gate, most new recluits. The older and most experienced soldier, Logem, was sent to civilian life after becoming a master weaponsmith. So the new general was Tun, an axelord.
The gate was shaped like an S, so my strat was to wait the goblins at the corner, as they were a lot of rangers. But stupid Chi-Chi, crossbowwodwarf decided to get some early kills and got out. She was by far the most promising soldier I had, so I was like "I rescue her? or not?" After 5 bolts in her body, and suffering, I decided to to the rescue, and just as the soldeirs were crossing the gate, a bolt to her brain ended her life.
Everyone back! But no, damn brave dwarves they never hear the STRATEGIC WITHDRAW and just keep fighting, and one by one they died. Brave Tun killed 6 goblins one shoting each before having a wound to the leg that made him fall on his knee. A goblin masterleasher made sure he paid for this bravery. The wave of goblins entered the fort from the south gate, trolls included, fighting miners, woodcutters, and war bears with heavy loses for the dwarves. Logem save the day, then he was called back to the army, with his old, rusted iron axe killing a bunch of greens before being killed with a hammer to the nape. The the enemy retreated. I guess a combination of the massive deaths in the north gate (with its 10 weapon traps intact) and the casualties against Logem and the drafted miners made the day. I almost give up this fort, as any new attack would sweep me, but nothing came, in about 2 years, nothing. I managed to rebuild the defenses, draft a new army, get some new inmigrants, and strated mining down. I breached a cavern for the first time then. Some fun with a couple of cave crocodiles and a giant cave spider made me put some defenses down there too.
Then, the fort meet its fate. My newbinesss. As I got a power shottage I had to resume from a autosave. Not getting (until now) how the system worked, the "vanilla" save file never updated, and I though I had corrupted it. Too bad. Now I deleted it, starting a new world just in case.
Damn I had so much fun with it though. I love this game, I really do. The most scary moment was when I accidently killed 3 or so war dogs of Logem, the main hero, trying to do a dwarf-wash (writed http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Maximizing_framerate). He tantrumed and I though he was going to kill the whole place, but just threw a rock at a pond. LOL.

My 3rd fort was on a new world. This time, me, a DF veteran by now, would make and epic underground base. I found the perfect embark place, it had flux (2rd fort had not) sand for a glass induntry, no aquifer, even a river, etc. After 3 seasons on the first year, everyone died of thirst when the river froze.

My 4th fort is my current one. It has about 110 dwarves, a bridge-into-fall trap + cage traps defense system, two very "top-placed" caves, strong economy, 7 forgotten beast wandering arround, a farming field, a danger room in the builds, and even an arena.
What? Oh yes, you hear right, 7 forgotten beast. Yea, I dont know why, but this time the game has been very different than my second fort. In that one, I had the first siege like in the year 6 or 7, and the only "special" thing was an hydra and a dragon.
This time, first year, a cyclops came, then an ettin. After 2 ambushes I get a siege, in like, the 3rd year... and yea, I found the first caven in like the 7th floor down, and just after breaching it, a forgotten beast came.. I never got even one in the other game. I freaked out, and sealed the cave after a wall, then another came, and another, and another... now I have 5 in the first cavern, and 2 in the second.
I was like, arming the army to face the first, then came the second. I though "great, let them kill each other..." didnt happen. Then the 3rd wasa blob of mud.. and I read in the wiki those are unkillable... and soldiers kill die from thirst if I try. So...
I have a quick question. In this fortress there is a desert titan that is referenced all over the place. Artifacts, engravings, etc. Does that mean he lives near my fortress?

Well, finally, I want to share some things I found amusing.. I guess for most of you they will be like "I seen it before", but, never the less, and I didnt find a "funny screenshot thread"

This must have been a really nice drink.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wow, like filming a tv that is showing live the feed of the recorder

And this is my favorite. This kid must be the current reincarnation of Durin himself! Poor snatcher.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hi!, new gamer here!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 06:17:06 pm »

Congrats on clearly having lots of Fun!  You had a lot more success with sieges than I did my first couple successful forts.  And as for that second image, look up "planepacked" on the wiki.

And recruit that child as soon as you can!  You have a legend on your hands.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 08:13:56 pm »

wow... that planepacked statue is awesome... and the best part is the name, its like its on purpose haha

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 08:21:04 pm »

The game has an eerie tenancy to name things significantly in this game.

Also, welcome to the forums  :) Don't ever be afraid to ask questions in here.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

ch00beh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 08:40:00 pm »

Oh the stories this game can tell.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 08:57:26 pm »

Welcome tot he forum!

And I learned something new. I didn't know that Dragonfire can destroy weapon traps.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 09:07:16 pm »

Hello, Im Krelian, kinda new to DF, and totally loving it.

Well, I discovered minecraft on youtube around september this year, and then, in that game's forums I discovered references to DF... arround november I think... not sure, time flow have been a bit unstable since then, as now its new year and I remember so little of my life the last 2 months.

Well at first I was like "what the hell with those graphics", but not that bad as I have played some roguelike games before. Im not a graphics mad. But you have to admit, 1 of every 100 guys must reject DF only because of it. Well I saw some very good tutorials on youtube (about 5 or 6 chapters only tho), just to see what was it about...  and man, i loved it. Its like settlers for grown ups (I used to love that series). Also, those videos helped me to start "seeing" the game world behind the initially blurry graphics, a bit like those guys who see the matrix in monitors xD.

Anyway, I started my first fort very happily, and happily every one of the 7 dwarves died of thirst after some time. So yeah, first lesson was, first take care of basic needs, THEN start digging a big fort.

My second fort was much more succesfull. First newbie mistake: I made the straight stairway from the main hall, right to the surface. And damn rhesus macaques stealing things. I must say, the thing I enjoy the most are the super detailed anatomy and medicine problems. This guy lost an eye, this guy have no leg, this guy bled to death after a single bite to an artery in a leg, etc.
After some 20 deads from ambushes, I made a super wall all arround the map edges (4x4 embark). And two entrances, all full of weapon traps. Enemies almost stopped being a problem. Then, the first Siege, my fort had about 140 pop, including the 20 man army. The enemy: about 10 crossbow goblins.. all died at the traps. Then an Hydra came, died at the traps. Then two more sieges, first one with some 40 goblings and a couple trolls. Same thing. Then another with like innumerable goblins. Same fate. I was beggining to think "they kinda overshoted when described the game as destined to lose". Then a dragon came. Same thing. BUT, the dragon shot a firebreath at a poor guy cleaning the weapons traps at the entrance, before dying. I was like "oh well, natural selection" but about 1 minute later, SIEGE. And THEN I realice, the dragon burned up like 8 of the 10 weapon traps in the gate! Damn. I call my 20 man army to the gate, most new recluits. The older and most experienced soldier, Logem, was sent to civilian life after becoming a master weaponsmith. So the new general was Tun, an axelord.
The gate was shaped like an S, so my strat was to wait the goblins at the corner, as they were a lot of rangers. But stupid Chi-Chi, crossbowwodwarf decided to get some early kills and got out. She was by far the most promising soldier I had, so I was like "I rescue her? or not?" After 5 bolts in her body, and suffering, I decided to to the rescue, and just as the soldeirs were crossing the gate, a bolt to her brain ended her life.
Everyone back! But no, damn brave dwarves they never hear the STRATEGIC WITHDRAW and just keep fighting, and one by one they died. Brave Tun killed 6 goblins one shoting each before having a wound to the leg that made him fall on his knee. A goblin masterleasher made sure he paid for this bravery. The wave of goblins entered the fort from the south gate, trolls included, fighting miners, woodcutters, and war bears with heavy loses for the dwarves. Logem save the day, then he was called back to the army, with his old, rusted iron axe killing a bunch of greens before being killed with a hammer to the nape. The the enemy retreated. I guess a combination of the massive deaths in the north gate (with its 10 weapon traps intact) and the casualties against Logem and the drafted miners made the day. I almost give up this fort, as any new attack would sweep me, but nothing came, in about 2 years, nothing. I managed to rebuild the defenses, draft a new army, get some new inmigrants, and strated mining down. I breached a cavern for the first time then. Some fun with a couple of cave crocodiles and a giant cave spider made me put some defenses down there too.
Then, the fort meet its fate. My newbinesss. As I got a power shottage I had to resume from a autosave. Not getting (until now) how the system worked, the "vanilla" save file never updated, and I though I had corrupted it. Too bad. Now I deleted it, starting a new world just in case.
Damn I had so much fun with it though. I love this game, I really do. The most scary moment was when I accidently killed 3 or so war dogs of Logem, the main hero, trying to do a dwarf-wash (writed http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Maximizing_framerate). He tantrumed and I though he was going to kill the whole place, but just threw a rock at a pond. LOL.

My 3rd fort was on a new world. This time, me, a DF veteran by now, would make and epic underground base. I found the perfect embark place, it had flux (2rd fort had not) sand for a glass induntry, no aquifer, even a river, etc. After 3 seasons on the first year, everyone died of thirst when the river froze.

My 4th fort is my current one. It has about 110 dwarves, a bridge-into-fall trap + cage traps defense system, two very "top-placed" caves, strong economy, 7 forgotten beast wandering arround, a farming field, a danger room in the builds, and even an arena.
What? Oh yes, you hear right, 7 forgotten beast. Yea, I dont know why, but this time the game has been very different than my second fort. In that one, I had the first siege like in the year 6 or 7, and the only "special" thing was an hydra and a dragon.
This time, first year, a cyclops came, then an ettin. After 2 ambushes I get a siege, in like, the 3rd year... and yea, I found the first caven in like the 7th floor down, and just after breaching it, a forgotten beast came.. I never got even one in the other game. I freaked out, and sealed the cave after a wall, then another came, and another, and another... now I have 5 in the first cavern, and 2 in the second.
I was like, arming the army to face the first, then came the second. I though "great, let them kill each other..." didnt happen. Then the 3rd wasa blob of mud.. and I read in the wiki those are unkillable... and soldiers kill die from thirst if I try. So...
I have a quick question. In this fortress there is a desert titan that is referenced all over the place. Artifacts, engravings, etc. Does that mean he lives near my fortress?

Well, finally, I want to share some things I found amusing.. I guess for most of you they will be like "I seen it before", but, never the less, and I didnt find a "funny screenshot thread"

This must have been a really nice drink.

Wow, like filming a tv that is showing live the feed of the recorder

And this is my favorite. This kid must be the current reincarnation of Durin himself! Poor snatcher.

I see you understand the basics, welcome aboard!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

doomdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 09:09:56 pm »

Welcome tot he forum!

And I learned something new. I didn't know that Dragonfire can destroy weapon traps.
I'm pretty sure dragonfire is equivalent to magma in heat, so non-magma-safe mechanisms in the traps are likely the culprit.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 09:26:39 pm »

Welcome tot he forum!

I'm pretty sure dragonfire is equivalent to magma in heat, so non-magma-safe mechanisms in the traps are likely the culprit.
Yea, its pretty hot substance. So that is probably the case.

So, bauxite mechanism should be fine then.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

CaptRory

• Bay Watcher
  • One manly, dwarvenly, Mr. Saturn
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 09:53:06 pm »

As a rule of thumb I try to make anything that might be hit by dragonfire or magma out of magma safe materials. But when you're just starting out on a new embark that's not always possible. =(

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 10:00:14 pm »

Welcome tot he forum!

Yea, its pretty hot substance. So that is probably the case.

So, bauxite mechanism should be fine then.

Oh, so that explains why two of the 10 traps survived the attack...

Thanks for the welcome everyone :)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 10:03:18 pm »

Ah new kids, welcome! Truely, this game is yours more then anybody elses, as the most magical time is when there is something new to find, and a special sort of fun to have. I hope you enjoy this most interactive of novels.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 10:25:07 pm »

Oh, the places you'll flood with magma go!
Try not to dig too deep, okay? Lots of Fun and magma await below.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

ch00beh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 10:43:03 pm »

A dragon breathed fire on one of my war bears and his gem studded electrum chain (my current fortress is ballin out) and it didn't melt, nor did the bear get burned. What a terrible dragon. (then it got caught in a cage)

Atramedes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 01:19:43 am »

Man this game sure is hard to get into, but its fun as all hell when you actually learn how to play it.

EDIT: That reminds me, sometime I need to mod in some blind dragons for me to use as pets, they'd sure be fun to use :D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 01:23:48 am by Atramedes »
Pages: [1] 2 3