Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Panic! Rooms  (Read 6453 times)

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
Re: Panic! Rooms
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 08:46:39 am »

Different materials make different colored levers, and you can put notes on top.  If worst comes to worst you can just check what the lever isn't able to be connected to.
Notes? How? :o
[N] (NOT lowercase n) -> [p] to place it where your cursor is -> [n] to rename it -> [t] if you want additional text added.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 10:30:42 am »

My entire  fortress. I use a drawbridge to seal the entrance. Maybe one of these days I'll make a military.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Kaiser Reinhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 02:02:16 pm »

I have a walled-off aboveground compound connected to my fortress that serves as a barracks. In case of Fun I seal off the compound from the outside, then send marksdwarves to patrol the sniping platforms.

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 05:25:42 pm »

My noble rooms are outside. You know, ambush detectors.

I must admit admiration for your brilliant use for Nobility.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 10:28:39 pm »

Panic rooms? ... nnnooo ... but if something were to start crawling out of the magma pipe I have a lever that drops a reservoir of water on it and obsidianises the whole thing (and ruins the magma furnaces and washes babies into magma and stuff) so that's a safety thing. Now I don't even know if something CAN crawl out of the magma, I've only seen magma crabs down there .. but the pipe extends all the way to the cotton candy so who knows?

Let's hope no gremlins infiltrate my fort.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 10:51:20 pm »

Panic rooms are still a good idea, especially with above ground fortresses.(Yes, I know above ground cities are not Dwarfy enough, but they get to meet human babes more often). I just make a lever control room, with a small booze, and prepared meal stockpile. Also a room for plump seeds, and a pick, for too much fun. When the nastys arrive, I already have the panic room assigned in a burrow, and a alert to send the civilians there.(Its better than disallowing dwarfs aboveground, in the older versions.)
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

GalileoMateo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 04:04:33 pm »

My noble rooms are outside. You know, ambush detectors.

I must admit admiration for your brilliant use for Nobility.

Haha i couldnt agree more.

Heres my noble's room with the secret back exit which goes down to a room with a food stockpile, i look to add a pick soon., its not fully furnished yet but im using all platinum for kicks and giggles
Room seen here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 04:58:17 pm »

I've had problems with nobles food stockpiles never being full (the same with prisoner food stockpiles), so I just use the main dining room as a panic room. All 8 doors can be locked, which is all that matters for my purpose. It also tends to be somewhere in the deep in the fort than the entrance, so my guards have a decent time guarding it.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...
Pages: 1 [2]