Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Panic! Rooms  (Read 6454 times)

GalileoMateo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Panic! Rooms
« on: January 01, 2011, 04:34:45 pm »

Hey everyone i always like seeing how different people approach the same thing in dwarf fortress, so i was wondering what your guys' panic rooms look like!  When all things go awry, where do u send your nobles?  Mine is currently under construction so ill post a picture as soon as its done.  I hope some of yours involve !Science! to deal with potential intruders!

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
Re: Panic! Rooms
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 04:53:11 pm »

where do u send your nobles?

Usually to their deaths in a sealed room, although as they starve and eventually go insane I supposed some of them do panic... Does that count as a panic room?
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 04:54:39 pm »

Hello GalileoMateo, my "panic room" i call my "control room" and it operates as such. basically what i do is make a decent sized room where all the levers and "controls" are located (usually near my main hallway) to operate everything in the fort. i use double doors with a space in between on both side's so i can tie up two guard dogs. I also dig out a bedroom, dinning room and office thats connected to the control room for one dwarf who i name "control". He is the only one allowed to operate everything. In addition to the rooms there is also a Food/Beer stockpile plus 1 Pickaxe and a stone to seal up the space i leave behind the door, incase the fort gets over-run he can hang out till the next migrant wave or until the danger passes, then he can pick up the pickaxe and dig himself out. He is a true "vault dweller"  :D
Quote from: piecewise on March 14, 2010, 06:22:02 am
  Dwarf Fortress: Beat children with children.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 04:56:04 pm »

/-----\
|==≈≈≈|
|==≈≈≈\-----
|==***#<
|++***/-----
|++***|
|--+-------\
|++++++++++|
|++++++++++|
|++++++++++|
|++++++++++|
|++++++++++|
|++++++++++|
|++++++++++|
|++++++++++|
|++++++++++|
|++++++++++|
|++++++++++|
|++++++++++|
|++++++++++|
|++++++++++|
|++++++++++|
|++++++++++|
|++++++++++|
|++++++++++|
|++++++++++|
|+++++++++^|
\----------/

The 2x2 space in the small room contains a bed, table, throne, and a large quantum stockpile of slabs and a few barrels. The 3x3 space marked with * is a craftsdwarf's workshop to engrave the slabs and then get converted to a still. The stockpile contains plump helmets and their spawn, which the farm will grow. The door is a left-raising drawbridge. The large room is for placing slabs, with the exception of the ^ in the corner, which is the lever that controls the bridge. My Chosen One is always a planter.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 04:59:03 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 05:00:13 pm »

I usually just place a couple of cage traps and doors in front of my dwarfs bedrooms combined with tiny food/booze storages troughout my fortress these make interesting short term hidding places (there is little capable of both beeing a mayor tread and avoiding cage traps and opening doors). Sometimes these areas can also be closed off with a bridge and a channel. In very rare cases these areas have a single pick and a farming area.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 06:12:49 pm »

Hello GalileoMateo, my "panic room" i call my "control room" and it operates as such. basically what i do is make a decent sized room where all the levers and "controls" are located (usually near my main hallway) to operate everything in the fort.
How on earth do you remember which lever does what? :(
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 06:23:21 pm »

Hello GalileoMateo, my "panic room" i call my "control room" and it operates as such. basically what i do is make a decent sized room where all the levers and "controls" are located (usually near my main hallway) to operate everything in the fort.

Different materials make different colored levers, and you can put notes on top.  If worst comes to worst you can just check what the lever isn't able to be connected to.

As for me, I don't ever have control rooms or panic rooms.  The closest I ever come is putting booze and food stockpiles and a dining room near the barracks area so that my military doesn't have to go all the way to the dining room when they get hungry and can keep training (I also don't use danger rooms).  Usually I have plenty of idle dwarves, so I just put all my levers right next to the dining hall and statue garden.

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 09:51:40 pm »

hehe i usually put the levers in order to what they open on the map, for example. If i have 2 bridges up top a hatch in the middle and a floodgate down below on my fort that is the order i will place the levers in the control room so they kinda "mirror" how its setup in the fort. Sorry if i'm not explaining it right lol. its actually really easy and orderly.
Quote from: piecewise on March 14, 2010, 06:22:02 am
  Dwarf Fortress: Beat children with children.

ch00beh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 10:48:40 pm »

My entire fortress only has one land based entrance topside, so the entire thing is basically a panic room once the drawbridge is sealed. The control room for my levers is a statue garden/zoo next to the legendary dining room and noble throne room. Another drawbridge seals up the caverns, too.

Of course, flying building destroyers can fly in through the bridge I built over my volcano and knock down the roof access doors, or they can knock down the sealed bottomside drawbridge, but we're going to hope that it never comes to that. If it does, there are bigger things to worry about than surviving. (like completing project Fuck the Fortress which may or may not involve pressurized magma)

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 10:57:08 pm »

not exactly a panic room, but the entrance of the fortress is an underground bridge over a very deep fall (ala Khazad dum) which can retract, and at the same time, there is a cyclops and a ettin caged (and wired to a lever of course) to the outside part of the bridge. In dire times, they shall be released.

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 12:55:38 am »

I have a drawbridge that closes down over the ramp entrance to my fort. This setup, of course, almost ended up starving the fort. Niow that I've gotten it worked out, it works very well at keeping invaders out.

iron_general

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 12:58:37 am »

I don't really us a panic romm but achieve the sam effect by puting all my workshops, farms and beds on a handfull of levels, defend the top with towers and a drawbirdge, and the bottom with a very long passage between the stairs ( to give my soldiers time to react), many ballistas behind fortifications and many, many spike traps.

ch00beh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 02:31:17 am »

There's something really satisfying about knowing that your useless arts and crafts industry is chugging along merrily despite the presence of a billion goblins outside.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 07:57:58 am »

hehe i usually put the levers in order to what they open on the map, for example. If i have 2 bridges up top a hatch in the middle and a floodgate down below on my fort that is the order i will place the levers in the control room so they kinda "mirror" how its setup in the fort. Sorry if i'm not explaining it right lol. its actually really easy and orderly.
More or less what I've started to do, unless I want them in my dining room.

Different materials make different colored levers, and you can put notes on top.  If worst comes to worst you can just check what the lever isn't able to be connected to.
Notes? How? :o
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 08:08:08 am »

My noble rooms are outside. You know, ambush detectors.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
Pages: [1] 2