Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: How you became a tech-guru(comparatively)  (Read 5619 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: How you became a tech-guru(comparatively)
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2011, 03:54:26 pm »

though bios password is very difficult to get around, anybody know how?

Just reset the BIOS. Pulling out the battery has done it for me the one time I needed too, but there are other options if that doesn't work.
short circuiting flashrom chips are fun, easy too its just you need a very thin wire and know the proper pin for the memory address of the password.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2011, 04:17:03 pm »

Protip: Being able to have some competence with a computer doesn't make you a tech guru. It makes you semi competent with a computer.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2011, 04:49:55 pm »

My dad was a software engineer in the 80s and 90s.

I was playing DOS games at age 6, and navigating DOS by age 8.

Really, DOS was a trainer for all the tech I would need to learn later. Having to learn the commands to navigate directory structures...how to differentiate file types....suffix commands....all that put me three steps ahead of the average new Windows user. I already knew the foundation Windows was built on. That left me time to explore, while other people were still trying to figure out what a C: drive is and why everything is stored there.

The next step was naturally deciding to learn about hardware. My first build was scary, but I got it done. Luckily I had the Internet and a lot of more knowledgable friends to rely on, to fill in the gaps of what I didn't know. I think I've built 4 complete systems now, and yanked and reinstalled enough hardware to make several more.

The next step I guess would Network Administration.....but I don't know if I want to take the plunge or not. I'm not in a hurry to get into the IT field. But I can't say it's not an appealing offer given how ***** the economy is, and how necessary admins are.

Curiosity, though. That's why I know more than your average computer user. I wanted to know, and I cared enough to find out on my own. When anyone starts getting all emo about learning windows, I tell them I learned everything I know by literally: hovering over a button, waiting for the tool tip, investigating the options available, and comparing that to what I already knew.

Problem is, people in the 90s were trained in computer classes to fear "the crash." I remember computer teachers warning us that crashes could "Destroy systems" and "ruin computers." We learned that wasn't the case when we wrote a APPLE II GS drawing script that overloaded the comp's memory and crashed it. People are afraid of touching computers because they're worried about doing irrevocable damage to it. That's POSSIBLE, but only if you're criminally stupid, or messing with hardware. In this day and age, there's an undo for just about everything.

About the only thing I know I'll never get into is coding. I'm just not wired for it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 04:52:15 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2011, 04:53:15 pm »

lol my father told me about this today, i be more worried about the 2038 crash though...

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2011, 06:03:02 pm »

lol my father told me about this today, i be more worried about the 2038 crash though...

I do believe we've already circumvented that one... with every new system being 64-bit, and servers and such upgrading quickly...
(at least, i assume the time variable's extended on a 64-bit platform...)
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2011, 06:16:06 pm »

My dad has been a commercial illustrator for years, and he does his work on the computer. He had me on his lap staring at a screen before my first birthday.

I'm no guru, I don't know the first thing about programming and I don't have a vast understanding of the more technical aspects of computing, but it astounds me how many people (mostly of previous generations) have a hard time just figuring out how to check their email...and God forbid an error window, that really can throw them off...

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2011, 06:59:52 pm »

My father, being in the (live)stockbroking business (Primarily cattle and ostriches) had the Internet fairly early for someone in rural Australia, and there was an office full of computers out the front of our house for as long as I can remember. I remember messing around in Paint and opening Word files to hunt through for the occasional word I actually knew (It and the, primarily. I was less than five at the time.) I also remember being too scared in the original Diablo to leave town and enter the dungeon.

That said, I'm only tech-literate, not tech-savvy. I can use a computer, put in upgrades and reformat, but I can't build a tower or code anything.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2011, 09:47:28 pm »

Yeah, that's about me. I can use a computer, but not code or anything. Older people are funny when they try to run a computer. (My grandmother refuses to learn how to scan pictures)
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2011, 07:22:19 pm »

I grew up tinkering with electronics and my old Apple II/ancient DOS box. Didn't upgrade to newer computers until around 99, and was inundated in the internet from then on. I had a lot of technical interests. My parents were petroleum geologists, and they had subscriptions to the major science magazines as well as a few journals, but I think the biggest contributor to my geekness was my oldest brother, who introduced me to sci-fi and enthusiasm for technology of all kinds. Definitely my idol growing up - I thought he'd be this crazy da Vinci type that I could never surpass. Ended up crumbling from abuse. But he got me hooked on the concept of the Singularity, and fringe cosmology, and roguelikes. I got myself hooked on programming because of all the batshit crazy ideas that refuse to go away.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2011, 07:25:30 pm »

Care to share?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2011, 10:12:26 pm »

Care to share?
Too many for here, and I wouldn't know where to begin unless I gave you a list of topics :P
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2011, 11:00:22 pm »

In today's world, the average person doesn't know how to even ping themselves using a command prompt.

Why in the name of God would you ping yourself?

You learned how to do a few things that the average person doesn't bother figuring out. Trust me, that does not make you a "tech guru" by any stretch of the imagination.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2011, 11:03:31 pm »

Hey guys!
Look how good I am at using computers!

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2011, 11:22:35 pm »

In today's world, the average person doesn't know how to even ping themselves using a command prompt.

Why in the name of God would you ping yourself?

You learned how to do a few things that the average person doesn't bother figuring out. Trust me, that does not make you a "tech guru" by any stretch of the imagination.
I guess it just happened a few years ago. My brother spent a lot of his time in his room and I always wondered what he did in there, and one day he let me in and showed me all about computers and how to actually use them correctly. You know, it's ironic, I got in super-deep shit recently and they installed a netnanny program, but I just installed a keylogger and found out the password to the admin account. Not really that hard, looking back on it.

1. that's not irony
2. please forgive me if i refuse to believe that a 13 year old became a tech guru "a few years ago"
What the fuck? I mean, unless you take everything exactly literally it was meant to say that I'm better than most everyday people with the technical aspects of computers.

First page man, not hard.

Also, if that doesn't satisfy you, just
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 11:26:25 pm by x2yzh9 »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2011, 11:27:38 pm »

You know just enough to think you know more than you do. That's my take on it.

Back on topic:

can someone help me with this I used google's dns name lookup servers and everything and it won't work, help i'm not very good with a computer
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 11:34:50 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6