Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: How you became a tech-guru(comparatively)  (Read 5628 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: How you became a tech-guru(comparatively)
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 03:56:18 am »

You being a script kiddie doesn't make you a tech guru any more than my Google-Fu does. Get with it, bro. Everybody is expected to know basic computer usage if they want to survive in the workplace, and much of the stuff you'll need in the office in the future, you probably don't know how to do right now.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 04:05:22 am »

yeah, but don't you get the feeling that tech guru-ness is in the eye of the beholder? I mean, my immediate relatives hold me as something akin to one when I'm just fiddling around and googling for instructions in the net, and only when I need to do so in order to get program X running, for that matter.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 04:27:23 am »

I know some nerdy people who consider me a lady's man because I can make eye contact and maintain a conversation with women I haven't met before. I don't brag about my similarities to Hugh Hefner.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 07:23:57 am »

I'm not sure if tech-guru is the word you guys are looking for, but I know what you mean.

I was always good with computers, I got my own running Windows 95 at five years old and was always on it and learning things about it. Around ten years old I was providing tech-support for my family and still do to this day. The main area that I fail is with my internet connection; my Dad insists on setting up and running the internet connection and so when it breaks I have no idea how to fix it.
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 09:49:44 am »

In my day, being an IT-knowledgeable person meant that you knew how to load a game and run it, while adjusting the tape head on the fly.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2011, 10:43:15 am »

In my youth, that is to say when I was a little boy, real men knew exactly how long you could hold down the turbo button.

And god damn, did that computer need a turbo button.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2011, 10:46:05 am »

Meh. I got into computers about eight years ago, hardware, software, the lot. It was a good escape, so I got really good with them.
*Hugs*

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2011, 11:08:10 am »

I no longer call my self technical with computers because I know how to maintain my own, but can't understand what is wrong with someone else's computer.
though bios password is very difficult to get around, anybody know how?

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2011, 11:22:41 am »

though bios password is very difficult to get around, anybody know how?

Just reset the BIOS. Pulling out the battery has done it for me the one time I needed too, but there are other options if that doesn't work.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2011, 12:43:48 pm »

"tech guru" just means the next guy up on the tech pyramid-scheme.

Don't read too much into it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2011, 12:49:38 pm »

My love of technology started on Christmas Day, 1999, with a Gameboy Color. It progressed naturally from there, and my father never predicted the monster he would create. Although I recently switched my major from computer engineering to physics.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2011, 12:52:17 pm »

I was apparently easily bored as a child in kindergarten (because I was already at like a 2nd or 3rd grade level), so I got sent to the principal's office so they could find something to keep me occupied. He had recently gotten a computer. An Apple ][ to be specific. And had no idea how to use it.

They put me in front of it with a few floppies with programs, and a quick user guide that explained a few AppleBASIC commands like LOAD, RUN, and LIST. LIST was very important, as it displayed the actual program code of whatever you had loaded. From there, I apparently taught myself AppleBASIC by just looking at the program code and sussing out how it worked. So I was pretty good with AppleBASIC and LOGO, and I was an absolute fiend in Commodore Basic. Then I made the jump to the "IBM PC" and tried to pick up QuickBASIC, and for some reason it just didn't stick. Lost interest in programming after that, which was a big mistake.

The HW side of it I picked up from a friend in high school who was into building his own rigs back in the 286/386/486 days, when component compatibility could be a nightmare sometimes. To this day, I've always built my own from components instead of getting a "manufactured" system.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2011, 02:21:29 pm »

I know some nerdy people who consider me a lady's man because I can make eye contact and maintain a conversation with women I haven't met before. I don't brag about my similarities to Hugh Hefner.
I know too many people who consider me a god because I'm "actually married".
Such is life.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2011, 02:36:51 pm »

I'd say my interest in technology started about 10 or so years back when I decided to see exactly what the floppy disk drive would and wouldn't accept. Me being about 3 or so at the time, I tried my dads driver's liscence, pens, mom's glasses, and some other stuff that broke the machine so badly we had to upgrade to windows 95.

When I was about 11 or so, I decided to try out a simple crash program I had read about online, forcing us to upgrade to win xp.

Other than that, just managing to "fix" computers when spmehing goes wrong, with percussive maintenance working a surprising amount of the time
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2011, 03:50:45 pm »

I was the person who knew the most about the laptop.
thus I had to do all the fixing (and figuring out how to do it)
thats how I became the tech-guru-ish-guy. dash.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6