Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Khazad?  (Read 4414 times)

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Khazad?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 08:20:17 pm »

I tried downloading it just so I can talk crap about it :D but doesn't seem like it's even playable, i don't understand what he's trying to do with it?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 08:22:40 pm »

I really don't think this path needs to be retread.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 09:31:03 pm »

*Reads thread*
Well this has been an eye opener...

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 10:03:55 pm »

Ok, I still don't even know what Khazad is, other than it apparently stole code from DF. Could someone give me a summary of it, and how it stole from DF?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010, 10:33:35 pm »

Ok, I still don't even know what Khazad is, other than it apparently stole code from DF. Could someone give me a summary of it, and how it stole from DF?
See page 1.
It's a visualizer (for 40d I think) whose creator used as a springboard for reverse-engineering DF to make a DF clone (and being a dick about it).

See this thread: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58796.0

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2010, 11:10:18 pm »

From what I understood from the thread...

Impaler didn't like DF's user interface, so he told a bunch of people not to donate. Also, he and Peterix had Khazad which was originally meant to be a visualizer (like stonesense). Later, Impaler decided to make his own DF clone based on Khazad and some leaked code. Toady didn't like it and banned them, though later unbanning Peterix since he really didn't want to clone DF and even said that it would be impossible to do so.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2010, 11:35:10 pm »

In fact, from everything I've read, it seems Impaler complained almost exclusively about UIs and worked exclusively on making better ones.

What, did a roguelike interface kill his parents or something?
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2010, 11:36:55 pm »

In fact, from everything I've read, it seems Impaler complained almost exclusively about UIs and worked exclusively on making better ones.

What, did a roguelike interface kill his parents or something?

Yea, he then decided to run around in dark skin tight clothing and kept saying something about being a 'dark knight'.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2010, 11:37:51 pm »

It's not so much the complaining Impaler was doing so much as the mocking the playerbase and donators that upset Toady.

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2011, 02:35:16 am »

If you guys go to goblins camp forums, impaler is now on there with a thread called Khazad, it's in the modding section.

I don't get goblin camp; really there isn't that much to do in it :X.  Though I must say the UI in that game is pretty tight though.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2011, 07:44:22 am »

IMO:

Goblin camp is basically demonstration of gui alternative for DF-like game that is continuing to evolve past it being GUI demo. Cheers!

Khazad is overly ambitious attempt at making DF clone that is better than DF. Guess how it will end.
Pages: 1 [2]