Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sterling silver Forgotten Beast  (Read 2197 times)

Borogove

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sterling silver Forgotten Beast
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 05:48:17 pm »

You can always bait and lure it into an arena, then lock it there.

It can break constructions and I didn't think to set up a retracting bridge trap room. Next fort.

I'm flooding the main level with water from one side and magma from the other. Then the upper residential level should be full of tender, juicy, steamed dwarves.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 05:53:09 pm »

It can break constructions

No it can't. Nothing can. Buildings, yes; constructions, no.

Anyway, is sterling silver even particularly strong? Bronze can probably cut/clobber it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Borogove

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 06:03:58 pm »

D'oh!

Anyway, is sterling silver even particularly strong? Bronze can probably cut/clobber it.

I had a few bronze axes and whatnot; the thing is dented to hell and we did manage to sever its feet, but it keeps on ticking.

Borogove

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 06:10:17 pm »

OMFG.

It caught up with a thresher at the edge of a deep vertical shaft that I'd dug as part of a prisoner disposal shaft.

The thresher attacks the Forgotten Beast but it scrambles away!
The Forgotten Beast slams into an obstacle and blows apart!

Now let's see if I can stop the magmapocalypse so I can get on to the tantrum spiral.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010, 06:11:33 pm »

Haha, nice. The forgotten beast acted a fool, dodged into empty space, and fell to his death. Nice cartoon finish there.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Borogove

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2010, 06:19:56 pm »

Haha, nice. The forgotten beast acted a fool, dodged into empty space, and fell to his death. Nice cartoon finish there.

Yep. Unfortunately the thresher who scared it so badly died of thirst a little later.

Borogove

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2010, 06:25:07 pm »

So I'd been building floodgate 'firewalls' on the way down to the caverns, which I guess is useless. Apart from constructing and deconstructing walls on demand, is there any reasonable way to explore lower levels while being able to stop a beast from coming up?

Borogove

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2010, 06:31:12 pm »

Awww man. Some poor kid lost his father and baby brother to the beast.

Are tantrum spirals rarer, or have I just gotten so good at putting up gold statues all over the place that everyone's too busy admiring the craftsdwarfship to freak out?

Also, midway through the months-long struggle against the beast, one of the clothiers got a strange mood. Did he make a badass leather cloak commemorating the epic struggle? He did not.

Rovodkovest, Archpearl, a midnight blue cave spider silk thong. Encrusted with schorl, decorated with GCS silk, encircled with bands of GCS silk. Menaces with spikes of moss opal, granite, and black bronze. Image of a blade weed in silk, image of dwarves in granite. The dwarves are laboring. The artwork relates to the foundation of Cryptweakens in the early spring of 126.

Right. 100+ dwarves died fighting the thing while dude made spikey silk panties.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 06:46:43 pm by Borogove »

Aussiemon

• Bay Watcher
  • Well... now what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2010, 06:43:10 pm »

So I'd been building floodgate 'firewalls' on the way down to the caverns, which I guess is useless. Apart from constructing and deconstructing walls on demand, is there any reasonable way to explore lower levels while being able to stop a beast from coming up?

I dig long tunnels above the cavern floor. When the miner breaks into the empty space above the ground, they reveal that section of the cavern. Then all you have to do is dump/hide the stone and rebuild one wall. If you want a tunnel into the cavern that can be opened at will, I've never seen demons, forgotten beasts, titans, megabeasts, or anything else destroy a raised drawbridge with a channeled tile in front of it. Easy as can be.
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2010, 06:55:23 pm »

A down stair with a locked floor hatch on it works wonders too.

Ig88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2010, 09:30:43 pm »

*Construct ballista at a safe distance, but in range of the beast*
*Introduce siege engineers to new, very lifelike target dummy*
*?*
*Profit*
Pages: 1 [2]