Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flow forbid  (Read 922 times)

ch00beh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flow forbid
« on: December 30, 2010, 07:30:15 pm »

Hey all, medium time lurker, first time poster, etc etc.

So I've run into some weird pathing thing that I can't find anything about. In some areas, I try designating some stone to get mined and no one takes the job. Highlighting the path with k doesn't say anyhlthink funny. Then, just to test stuff out, I try building any random thing in the path to the stone, and apparently there's no access, despite there being an abundance of open, seemingly walkable times.

For the last bit of testing, I ran dfprobe on the inaccessible tiles and noticed the flag "flow forbid." I did a search on the wiki and here and found nothing. I'm assumig it has to do with liquids since these inaccessible areas were places that I artiicially filled and drained (first place was just the well resevoir, second place got hit with magma) Also the second instance became accessible again after some Fun involving a supposedly controlled cave-in above a highly pressurized resevoir that I forgot was there. Gg Armok. I know I haven't sacrificed anyone to you lately, but I'm still working on the !!science!! chambers.

Anyway. Flow forbid. I don't get it. Anyone know what's going on?

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flow forbid
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 08:18:28 pm »

Does the burrow that your miners reside in encompass that area? That is probably the cause of the problem.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

ch00beh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 08:33:19 pm »

I'm too lazy to use burrows, haha. So technically their burrow doesn't encompass the area because there are no burrows.

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 09:17:48 pm »

I've never heard of this. =/ All I can think of is to construct a path of floors to where you need to go. Which probably won't work.

That's weird as bleep.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 09:20:13 pm »

Creating liquids with dfliquids can result in tiles becoming marked as unpathable.  The tiles get marked as impassible when the liquid is created, then never gets unmarked because the liquid isn't supposed to exist or something like that.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ch00beh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 10:02:50 pm »

Yeah, I had a feeling it had to do with updating liquids since the pressurized extravaganza, once fixed, made the area pathable again.

I guess this means the only solution is to flood the entire fortress with magma to update all the tiles.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 10:06:34 pm »

I guess this means the only solution is to flood the entire fortress with magma

Welcome to dwarf fortress :D
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

ch00beh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 10:20:30 pm »

Dwarf fortress: the only game where burnig everyone alive is not just acceptable, it's expected.

Also the only game where working with magma is safer than water. I swear every time I try to add a failsafe to this resevoir (most recent was adding a de-stickifier lever to my array of repeaters while forgetting to actually turn them off), pressurized water floods everthing. Maybe it's a sign.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 11:33:55 am »

Creating liquids with dfliquids can result in tiles becoming marked as unpathable.  The tiles get marked as impassible when the liquid is created, then never gets unmarked because the liquid isn't supposed to exist or something like that.

The problem isn't from using dfliquids to create liquids - it's from using dfliquids to remove liquids. When you create the liquid in the first place, any nearby sloshing will cause it to be marked as impassable, but if you then just remove it entirely it'll still be marked as impassable.

The safest way to remove a large body of water using dfliquids is to reduce its depth to 2, then reduce a small number of tiles to 1 or 0, then let the game run for a bit - as the water sloshes around, the game will update the pathing information and properly mark it as passable. This also works for magma removal so that it doesn't leave persistent hotspots that cause passing dwarves to spontaneously combust.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 11:35:43 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ch00beh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 01:25:17 pm »

Well, that explains why the human traders all exploded in flames and blood inside my trade depot.

Thanks for the advice.