Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Of mice and dwarves. (oliphaunts actually)  (Read 1877 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Of mice and dwarves. (oliphaunts actually)
« on: December 30, 2010, 02:39:59 pm »

ok, so this is weird, my sucky ass military (conscripts and a swordmaster with no armour)

is fartin' 'round so i say to myself "Lets go on an elephant/warthog hunt!!!"

all went well and i slaughered about 15 elephants/warthogs...

wait what? That was awesome, too awesome, my knowledge of boatmurdered forbids me from thinkin' oliphaunts die this easily, is my game f-ed up or is it like this for everyone?

maybe it's just coinciding with my swordmaster whos name happens to be Mosus (weird right?)
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Of mice and dwarves. (oliphaunts actually)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 02:44:01 pm »

They're less dangerous than they used to be. Also, any animal tends to die easily to even copper weapons because armour > skin tissue.

And one last thing, you are a fool for not capturing and training them  >:(

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 02:48:55 pm »

sir, please. Train the most hated enemy of dwarven culture? *snobby laugh* i think not.

anyways ok yea i have bronze weapons so i guess that explains it, also I've ben watching an elephant wander around for month with its stomach torn out, its so...COOL!

and just to top this off, i have over 20 war dogs and a war jaguar so i think im fine till the elves bring me some more goodies

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 03:29:38 pm »

Heh... wardogs...
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 03:40:11 pm »

sir, please. Train the most hated enemy of dwarven culture? *snobby laugh* i think not.

anyways ok yea i have bronze weapons so i guess that explains it, also I've ben watching an elephant wander around for month with its stomach torn out, its so...COOL!

and just to top this off, i have over 20 war dogs and a war jaguar so i think im fine till the elves bring me some more goodies

I must have read that wrong. I don't believe elves can be trained.

As for elephants, they are much better guards than game, and leaving them stray lets you reap the tasty 5x value rewards of their butchery should one fall in combat.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 03:55:22 pm »

to Ivan: they're used as squad support it's not like i put 20 on one guy.

to GearHeart...again: Elves bring me lots o' exotic animals. And for elephants so many travel into my map that i could easily get em if i so choose later on, but i don't use them for game, by hunt i meant military rape, and it's gotten my military into tip-top shape

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 04:06:51 pm »

Im just saying, you've seen what a squad does to an elephant so imagine the struggle dogs have trying to bite through an iron breast plate.
That said Im currently trying to breed giant tigers for war animals so yeah.., This could be a very tantrum inducing experiment.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 05:01:25 pm »

As for elephants, they are much better guards than game, and leaving them stray lets you reap the tasty 5x value rewards of their butchery should one fall in combat.

That's not how it works - only wild animals can be butchered after being killed in combat; any tame animal, trained or not, cannot be butchered if it happens to die.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 06:24:26 pm »

That's not how it works - only wild animals can be butchered after being killed in combat; any tame animal, trained or not, cannot be butchered if it happens to die.
Unless marked for slaughter. Both trained and tame can be marked for slaughter.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 07:02:53 pm »

Aye you can set tame strays to be slaughtered but not pets supporting your military.
I'm not sure if a random stray that gets killed by besiegers can be butchered either but Ill defer to Quietust in this matter.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 07:14:54 pm »

Elves are kind of in a weird spot right now, in that they don't get pissed if you clearcut entire continents.  They still don't like leather or wood...  but seriously, who uses leather or wood crafts?  I have 1k+ units of cloth I can make into trade goods and enough gold to buy out a hundred of their nearly-worthless caravans.  And, as you said, they bring me tigers.  I like being able to feed goblins to the tigers, hence I like anyone that provides me with tigers.

And no, elephants haven't been the mortal enemies of dwarves for quite a while.  They were replaced with carp a while ago (since they became docile in .28), and there's no real equivalent right now - except perhaps forgotten beasts, which are meant to be worrisome.  Even GCS's are kind of disappointing now...  I've killed one without noticing until some GCS meat showed up in the kitchen management screen.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 07:41:41 pm »

Meh, yea well i don't exactly have the best swimmers, te only fish i deal with are lungfish, which i somehow got a tamed one.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 08:06:50 pm »

Elves are kind of in a weird spot right now, in that they don't get pissed if you clearcut entire continents.  They still don't like leather or wood...  but seriously, who uses leather or wood crafts?  I have 1k+ units of cloth I can make into trade goods and enough gold to buy out a hundred of their nearly-worthless caravans.  And, as you said, they bring me tigers.  I like being able to feed goblins to the tigers, hence I like anyone that provides me with tigers.
They only don't get mad at you for tree cutting because they don't send diplomats. It's been like that since 31.13 I believe.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 09:16:42 pm »

So what your saying is that if we wish to engage in glorious Jihad against the filthy Elven aggressors we must flood the trade depot with magma?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 09:58:00 pm »

no that would be mean, after all we just wat to show them our +Steel Battle Axe+
Pages: [1] 2