Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Any penalties of dense farmplots layout?  (Read 2180 times)

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any penalties of dense farmplots layout?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 10:11:31 pm »

just remember to restrict saplings as traffic areas, and gather edible plants that sprout up in them. Will allow room for more trees to sprout
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 11:04:12 am »

I haven't heard about any seeds limits. You mean i can only farm 200 seeds at the same moment and no more?

Any seeds over 200 are either discarded or not accounted for, apparently. I've a fortress going on for ~six years, and my plump helmet and wild strawberry seed count is stuck at 200 whenever I bother to go look at the kitchen.

This is correct, but I'd like to clarify that it's 200 seeds per plant species.  At five seeds per bag, and ten bags per barrel, you'll need at least four tiles of seed stockpile for each crop that your fortress cultivates in a sustainable manner... but you'll only need one seed barrel to completely seed two 5x5 fields, or one 5x5 field in back-to-back seasonal rotations.  Placing your main seed stockpile near the kitchens and mills (3 tiles per species) and an alternative seed pile near the farms (1 tile per species) and using take-from orders can keep your farms running smoothly.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 12:01:36 pm »

Where'd you get 5 seeds per bag? As far as I know each bag can hold an infinite number of seeds. I've never seen more than one bag of the same seed type.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 04:34:54 pm »

I am probably misremembering the 5 seeds per bag from either an old version or just my faulty memory.  It's been a long time since I actually used dense bags for seeds.  I saw a reference on the wiki to 100 seeds per bag, but again, I've never counted.  It sounds like it's time for !!SCIENCE!!.

Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 05:50:39 pm »

Bags hold something like 150 seeds each, I think.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 06:24:16 am »

Hm, Crop Rotation Benefits aren't in yet, are they?

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 11:23:59 am »

Nope.  The only things in farming are mud for underground plots and increased yield from fertilizing with potash.  But the yields are already so ridiculous that it's not worth the effort to make the potash.  Just make the field twice as big, and maybe add another farmer.  They train up quick on plump helmets and prickle berries, especially if you have "only farmers harvest" set.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 12:07:38 pm »

Hm, Crop Rotation Benefits aren't in yet, are they?
I don't think so, but because it's so trivial to set up rotations already, there's no reason not to -- for underground farms the only year-round crop is plump helmet, and who wants a fort full of those?  I generally end up doing a field of "bag crops" and a field of "barrel crops", with each field getting harvested to a different processing area.  If you rotate your bag crops sensibly you can have cloth, flour, and dye production running year-round.

Bag Crops - Pig Tails become bags, everything else becomes a bagged food (flour or leaves) or dye
  • Quarry Bush
  • Cave Wheat
  • Pig Tail (or Cave Wheat)
  • Dimple Cups

Barrel Crops - process into syrup or booze
  • Sweet Pod
  • Sweet Pod
  • Plump Helmet (or Pig Tail)
  • Plump Helmet

Surface Farm Bag Crops - process into cloth for bags, or flour or dye
  • Rope Reed (two seasons out of phase with Pig Tail production)
  • Blade Weed or Sliver Barb (two seasons out of phase with Dimple Cups)
  • Whip Vine
  • Longland Grass

If you use the manager to queue the same number of milling, weaving, and dyeing jobs each season, then you can queue booze jobs in the off-season to take advantage of any overage. 
  • Spring - Queue up Mill Plant jobs to grind Longland Grass to flour and Dimple Cups to dye.  Ensure that your dimple cups are closer to the mill than your Longland Grass, and set your job queue to 75% - 80% of the total winter harvest.  Queue up Make Cloth Bag to turn Pig Tails into spare bags.
  • Summer - queue Process Plant jobs to turn Rope Reed to thread, and Process Plant to Bag jobs for the QBLs.  Set the first to 90% of your harvest and the second to 100% of harvest.
  • Fall - queue Make Cloth Bag jobs, Prepare Lavish Meal jobs, and Mill Plants jobs.
  • Winter - Process Plant (for Pig Tails) and Mill Plant (for dyes).  Queue up Brew Drink (30) several times or just put a repeating job in your still in order to use up the year's overage.

Each season you're either making bags, filling bags, or both. 

...yes, I maybe answered a little more than you asked.  :o

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 12:16:43 pm »

Bags hold something like 150 seeds each, I think.

A single bag can hold up to 100 seeds, but it can only hold seeds for one plant type (i.e. if you have 101 plump helmet spawn and 50 pig tail seeds, you will need 3 bags). This has always been true, even back to the old 2D versions.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: 1 [2]