Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Starting a above ground, no army fort, need trap tips....  (Read 1475 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting a above ground, no army fort, need trap tips....
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 06:23:12 pm »

You can make a bunch of weapon traps loaded with training weapons with a narrow magma mote on each side. The should frequently dodge them and fall into the magma. If you have the magma set to pump constantly, you can just have a drainage area at the end of the trench  and have it run off the edge of the map. Alternately, have enemies run through the magma trench and have a pressure plate activate your magma pumps/floodgates. I don't think this will work against flying targets, though. You could also set this up as a repeater if you construct 2 entrances. Basically do the same setup on both sides and put pressure plates where they are approaching the entrance and have it hooked up to both bridge-walls for both of your entranced, setting it up so that when triggered, one closes and the other opens. They would have to run back through the traps and around to the other side, where it'll raise the other bridge and they have to go back around again.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 04:18:16 am »

I like mazes above ground--basically fast entrance in you can cut-off and long, long, long winding entrance which is permanently open and ideally made of pretty stone.  The best part about winding mazes is that the curves hold water pressure.  So if you set a water dispensing device immediately above a few key twists and turns of a maze, you can fill it more or less instantly and goblins will drown before the water runs off. Put a door on your end to avoid base floods.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 04:22:10 am »

Oh and no one mentioned landmines--I don't know if other people do this but I find that digging out (and then sealing) a small chamber immediately underneath the planned cave-in z-level (esp. a small, one tile+support cave-in) increases the effectiveness of the traps vastly--the trick, I think is suction--if a normal cave-in hurls creatures (ones not immediately beneath the falling rock, obviously) outwards into obstacles, occasionally breaking limbs, an open space beneath somehow sucks in units above and near the cave-in.  This generally breaks a lot of limbs and kills outright.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Marsunpaistii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 07:01:10 am »

You could always use the toilet trap
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65848.0

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010, 03:20:24 pm »

Well I got the walls built up. Lost one dwarf to a zombie croc. It was my hunter so I am continuing on. Got the entrance to the fort set up with some boulder traps to get started, and I can flood the hallway as well in case a trapavoid monster comes in. I am now working towers so I can set up ballistas. Oh and a miner killed a giant cougar that I wanted to capture.
Pages: 1 [2]