Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: non-volcano embarks  (Read 3827 times)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: non-volcano embarks
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 12:15:38 am »

I don't even wait for an army. I just dig a farm and magma forge at the same time. I just wall up the cavern entrance for the time being.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 01:28:41 am »

Well, considering, unless you embark with a flux layer, flux stone is harder to come by than wood for charcoal...

If you chop down all the trees on your embark and always order max trees with your diplomat, you can get a lot of wood and make a lot of charcoal, and there's always the possibility of making an underground tree farm by breaching the caverns and sealing them up to get the spores going.

sure, the fuel requirements are tripled without magma, but it's really easy to get 3:1 or 4:1 wood:flux from merchants since they'll have maybe ten to twenty types of trees but there are only five possible flux stones, and they aren't guaranteed to have access to all of them.

and, if you embarked on a flux layer... I dunno... use a mix? steel for the most important armor, bronze for less important armor and for weapons

You seem to be forgetting that you can also order finished coke/charcoal as well as the stones Lignite and Bituminous coal which can be made into coke

Also, any sedimentary layer can contain Lignite and Bituminous Coal, and you kind of have to try in order to get a site that lacks both a volcano and sediment stone.

In the current version of the game at least, it's incredibly easy to find veins of the two, which are much more efficient at making fuel than wood is (lignite because it's more common than wood once you've clear-cut your area unless you're in a heavy forest, and Coal because it generates a net of 2 units of fuel if you're not using magma)
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 02:45:21 am »

right, and that... which makes for...

max of 20 flux stone
20 fuel just from coal, lignite, charcoal, and coke
and 4*number of tree types (40 to 80) fuel

per dwarf caravan.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 02:51:03 am »

Not to mention wood from the human and elven caravans, and again, the resources from your embark site.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 02:55:23 am »

I never bothered with Volcanoes with the fact that I never seem to have Flux stone in it's layers. Unless you find a biome that crosses and you do some mumbo-jumbo multi-biome different layers.
BAH! Too much science.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 02:58:39 am »

I never bothered with Volcanoes with the fact that I never seem to have Flux stone in it's layers. Unless you find a biome that crosses and you do some mumbo-jumbo multi-biome different layers.
BAH! Too much science.

This is due to the volcanism property affecting what types of stone are around. Volcanoes happen at 100 volcanism on mountains. High volcanism areas tend to have igneous layers instead of sediment layers. Increasing the variance of volcanism in advanced parameters makes it easier to find a volcano near low-volcanism terrain, allowing a sediment (though not necessarily flux) layer right by a volcano.

Though even without the sediment layers, it's possible to find marble in high volcanism sites.

doomdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 03:21:16 am »

I say volcanoes as a fuel source are mostly unnecessary. You can set up magma forges and such in under a year, if you devote most of the miners' time to digging, at which point there's little enough infrastructure up above that you can relocate the whole fortress to the magma sea. For preparing surface-level traps they're likely much easier than a pump stack, but if your fortress is down at the magma sea you can have your magma traps down there too. I have to admit, though, that doing something like flooding the map in magma will take much more effort with none on the surface.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 05:56:28 am »

BAH! Too much science.
I almost always find some patches of marble near the volcano shaft.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 07:32:37 am »

Rainforests tend to have lots of good wood to burn into coal. Also underground treefarms, when you have breached a cavern.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

penco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 09:07:35 am »

So how much space is between cavern layer 3 and the magma sea? How do I change it in worldgen?

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2010, 09:35:24 am »

At the moment I'm going for:
1) Build fortress on surface to use for building above ground fort
2) Dig down, all the way down, sealing any caverns I breach, until I get down to the magma
3) Dig out second fortress down between cavern 3 & magma, with farming in cavern 3/irrigated chambers below it
4) Relocate everyone besides masons and a few farmers down to the lower fortress
5) Build an above ground fort with the masons
6) Get an army sorted down by the magma, with plenty of steel weapons/armour
7) Split the fortress fairly evenly between the upper and lower forts, with all military at the top and all magma requiring things at the bottom, with a legion of haulers to move stuff from one to the other as needed.

Around number 3 atm.

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2010, 10:02:00 am »

Mod in Anthracite coal?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2010, 10:07:27 am »

A well-sized, muddied treefarm can go a long way in providing wood to burn
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2010, 12:53:26 pm »

So how much space is between cavern layer 3 and the magma sea? How do I change it in worldgen?

In world gen, the number of layers between cavern 3 and the magma sea is governed by Levels Above Layer 4.

Default is 1.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2010, 02:42:39 pm »

BAH! Too much science.
I almost always find some patches of marble near the volcano shaft.
Only problem then is to find Iron Ore to make Steel.
Since iron doesn't form at the Metamorphic layer (Marble, etc)
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3