Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: State of the game?  (Read 1489 times)

the Dregs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
State of the game?
« on: December 29, 2010, 03:21:09 pm »

I haven't played for about 6-7 months. I quit due to military being tedious plus the fact that it was pretty much unneeded because sieges were so easy to repel. Add in the fact that the legendary monsters were either unkillable or pushovers. I was just wondering how the game has progressed lately. I may want to have myself a DF marathon this weekend!

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: State of the game?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 03:29:12 pm »

Sieges are still easy to repel, Military is the same however no need for the arsenal dwarf, although I wouldnt call it tedious as once you understand the interface you can set up a squad in under a minute.
Forgotten beasts depend, I dont think they're immortal any more if they happen to be a blob made of stone I think the bi9ggest threat that most beasts pose come from the poisonous contaminents they spread.

Had a fort the other day I abandoned because every creature that stepped into its secretions feet required amputating.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 03:36:09 pm »

Military hasn't changed much since April, but most of the military bugs have been worked out so the only real problem with it now is the complexity. Arsenal Dwarf was sentenced to perpetual hammering, don't need to worry about him anymore.

Randomly generated monsters that were previously unkillable can now be killed, although depending on what they're made of you might need some really good weapons. Anything made of liquid, gas, or powder is still very easy to kill.

There's now additional incentive to give your dwarves proper burials. If you lose the corpse you can build a memorial slab instead.

Healthcare is still a little buggy. Only lost one dwarf so far due to doctors not doing their job (possibly because most of my dwarves get killed by other things before the hospital gets a chance to do that), and I've seen at least one dwarf with a crutch despite everyone saying that crutches never get used. Your mileage may vary.

Combat got reworked a bit recently; it was mostly for Adventure mode, but it's noticeable in Fortress mode in that fights should end once one combatant loses consciousness, due to every attack having maximum damage and accuracy on the passed-out guy and the victor will try to finish the fight quickly at that point with a blow to the head or something. Speaking of Adventure mode and combat, I'd definitely reccommend trying out the new combat system (use shift+A to aim your attack. The wrestling interface got cleaned up too, I think).

Oh, and there's quite a bit of stuff to do in Adventure Mode now. Very, very different from what it was back in April.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 03:40:00 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 03:42:32 pm »

The military is kinda tedious as it's pretty "deep" and very automatic once you know how to set it up. Sieges are still very easy but there are mods to remedy that such as the fortress defense mod linked in my sig. In 1-2 days when I release Intensifying Mod v0.09 to hotfix the armor usage bug, IM+FD sieges would be very hard indeed.

Right now, vanilla siegers only use armor on upper body and head. Other parts are only covered in clothings. Consequently, the improved AI really like to ampute these body parts and quickly bleed everything to death.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 03:44:05 pm by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 03:46:09 pm »

Ooooh, crutches!  There's hope for my bedridden dwarves!

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 04:42:47 pm »

Oh yeah, last I checked they wont work and loosing the ability to stand is permanent...
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 12:44:25 am »

dwarves will not put on new clothes, so after year 8 expect everyone to be naked.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 01:21:01 am »

dwarves will not put on new clothes, so after year 8 expect everyone to be naked.
They however, will still claim clothes and leave them all around your fort.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 01:47:29 am »

Oh yeah, last I checked they wont work and loosing the ability to stand is permanent...

See what I mean? Everyone says that. Evidently that one dwarf I saw didn't listen to any of these people. Didn't permanently lose the ability to stand either, his broken leg healed after a few months. Not sure why it wouldn't.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 01:49:42 am by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 04:03:43 am »

See what I mean? Everyone says that. Evidently that one dwarf I saw didn't listen to any of these people. Didn't permanently lose the ability to stand either, his broken leg healed after a few months. Not sure why it wouldn't.
Say that to many bed ridden dorfs in my forts with yellow foot or legs. It'd very glitchy.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 04:26:16 am »

Are you sure he wasn't a migrant who came with a crutch already attached?  Also, is he gaining skill in crutch-walking?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 11:04:05 am »

Are you sure he wasn't a migrant who came with a crutch already attached?  Also, is he gaining skill in crutch-walking?
dwarves with their legs temporary out of function (broken of smth)will sometimes use crutches, but those with non-healing nerve damage never will. don't know if legs are missing totally

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 11:13:02 am »

Since missing legs involve nerve damage, chances are low.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

the Dregs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 03:45:19 pm »

I saw a lot of talk on the SA thread about a "cleaning room" for washing your dwarves. Is this new, or just general SA wackiness?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 03:47:20 pm »

It's new in 31, blood splatter kill your fps and cannot be easily eliminated.
Pages: [1] 2