Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wait, casts are working now?  (Read 1997 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wait, casts are working now?
« on: December 29, 2010, 01:08:06 pm »

What's your secret?  My hospital only uses splints and never does anything with the plaster :(.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Wait, casts are working now?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 02:23:00 pm »

There are two bugs with casts, but they both can be worked around:

First, gypsum powder is required, but your dwarves will not put gypsum powder in the hospital with the other hospital supplies.  This is not actually a problem because hospital supplies don't actually need to be stored in the hospital.  If you have a gypsum powder stockpile somewhere else, your dwarves will use the gypsum powder stored there.

Secondly, a dwarf who is trying to apply a cast needs a bucket of water.  Getting water for casts is bugged, the bone doctor will go to the water source and stare at it forever while trying to figure out how to get water.  If you can arrange to have some buckets lying around with water in them, your bone doctor will use those and successfully apply casts.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 02:33:00 pm »

I suppose I could just unzone a corner of the hospital and put the powder there :).  As for the buckets of water, how do I go about having buckets of water on reserve?

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 03:04:02 pm »

I suppose I could just unzone a corner of the hospital and put the powder there :).  As for the buckets of water, how do I go about having buckets of water on reserve?

When they give water, dwarves use one out of the ten units of water a bucket will hold and will leave the rest untouched. Barring micromanaging the bucket situation to empty them, most forts should have plenty of water buckets lying around.

If you want to guarantee water buckets near the hospital, one method is to dig out a small (say, 4x4) room under the hospital. Create a garbage dump zone and designate a bunch of stone to be dumped. After they finish, reclaim the stone and build a mason/craftsdwarf workshop. Pick a task (blocks are useful) and set it to repeat. The dwarf working there will get thirsty after a while and other dwarves will bring him/her water, which will leave the buckets sitting there full of 9/10 water.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 03:09:37 pm »

Or designate a pond without channeling out a place.
They'll get water, realize theres no where to put it, and ditch the bucket with some water in it.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 03:22:04 pm »

Once the doctor gets stuck at the well, forbidding all buckets and then unforbidding them will make it work; they do fill the bucket, but they don't know how to take it from the well to make the plaster cast.  Doing this will make it work.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 04:25:14 pm »

Thanks all!

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 05:59:52 pm »

So the lesson here is that doctors should tend to the sick and keep away from the well?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 09:42:46 pm »

*smack*
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 10:28:53 pm »

So the lesson here is that doctors should tend to the sick and keep away from the well?
*ahem*
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 02:31:22 am »

Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week.

That joke just fell right into my lap.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."