Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Manager Mode Limit?  (Read 1213 times)

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
  • It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky.
    • View Profile
Manager Mode Limit?
« on: December 29, 2010, 03:28:04 am »

Is there an objective reason why manager mode won't permit the queuing of any job past 30 iterations in a single pass?

Thank you.
"That is the most amazing thing I have ever read ever."
- Friend's reaction to Bronzemurder

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Manager Mode Limit?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 04:04:59 am »

Not that I've heard; it's a pointless limit IMO. Just queue up several sets of 30 + one set of the remainder.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 04:08:07 am by AngleWyrm »

sjaakwortel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 07:08:51 am »

think its usefull, because i now i can see when they complete 30 of my orders
Quote from: Greep on May 08, 2010, 07:55:20 pm
do dwarves move any slower when using the stairs?
Compared to falling? Yes.

Trouserman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 12:57:26 pm »

think its usefull, because i now i can see when they complete 30 of my orders

<ironic> It would be even more useful if it was limited to 20 at a time, because then you could see when they had completed 20 orders.  That's 50% more notices! </ironic>

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 01:11:29 pm »

Lol.  What I'd like is for an option to set a production order limit according to stock.  For instance, only brew drinks if the fortress stock falls below 200.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 08:49:29 pm by VerdantSF »

sir_laser

• Bay Watcher
  • It's lucky to be smart, but smarter to be lucky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 08:17:36 pm »

Indeed.
"That is the most amazing thing I have ever read ever."
- Friend's reaction to Bronzemurder

Inindo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 10:20:38 pm »

It's probably because your manager needs to take time to approve each task, so larger tasks take longer to approve.  I do wish you could just enter 100 and it would automatically split it into multiples of 30.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 12:04:47 am »

if I recall correctly, your manager gets XP based on the number of orders he OKs, not the number of items in the order, so the split up might be there as a measure to ensure that enough effort is being spent(and XP earned) when you queue up large orders.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 08:36:22 am »

if I recall correctly, your manager gets XP based on the number of orders he OKs, not the number of items in the order, so the split up might be there as a measure to ensure that enough effort is being spent(and XP earned) when you queue up large orders.
Organizer, on my manager, is usually one of the first skills to hit legendary, even with the 30 item limit. (Miners in soil and moody dwarves aside.)

Basically, while each of those individual dwarves are getting XP when they do their tasks, the manager is getting XP every time they are assigned a new production order. So, while he's not earning as much or as quickly as a given dwarf doing the jobs, he's still approving a lot of jobs, and they do add up quickly. The number of jobs he approves will mushroom witht he number of industries you have up and running, and when some industries (like booze making) will 'take a break' as supplies reach an adequate amount, the manager still has orders in other industries to approve...

This will not be the case if you queue up repeating 'common' orders like "collect sand" at the workshop, as the manager isn't involved that way, but it's a trivial matter to re-order the production requests to make sure things stay on track, and the manager is almost always getting two or three orders to approve at once, especially once multiple industries are up and functioning.

Personally, I really HATE the 30 item limit, and would like to see large orders (make 200 barrels) as well as continual orders (keep making barrels until I say stop) and conditional orders (brew drinks, but only if drinks < 200). All of these would reduce the micromanagement of my fort to a degree, especially the conditional orders. I know you can duplicate the continual orders by loading a workshop with orders on repeat, but this is clunky by comparison, and requires me to track down my workshops instead of hitting three keys at any location  (J-M-Q) to get the jobs started.

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 12:13:13 pm »

Yeah, I was always puzzled by the manager production order limit. But then again, queuing up a bunch of identical orders is trivial.

Also, I need to test out whether queuing up a gigantic amount of orders with 1 item each would make my manager reach legendary in less than a year.

<ironic> It would be even more useful if it was limited to 20 at a time, because then you could see when they had completed 20 orders.  That's 50% more notices! </ironic>

That's sarcasm, not irony.
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 01:52:34 pm »

That's sarcasm, not irony.
It's actually both.
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).