Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: What's your siege strategy?  (Read 4636 times)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's your siege strategy?
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2010, 04:34:44 am »

In my last fortress, must missed, fps dead Spiralchants, when the system hadn't been sabotaged by one of the many ghosts hovering around the place, the goblins died in three steps.

1.  Short tunnel, lined with doors, open to the tundra sky (for some reason).  Base immediately after the door at the end and only one war dog, one cage trap and one pressure plate.  The pressure plate opens the aforementioned doors. Water comes out.  Everyone freezes, short hallway gets sealed, pressure plate triggerer gets in cage trap.

2.  Goblins now path the long way, through the maze.  Maze is on a hill, outside of maze is a row of cave-in traps, underneath a little chamber, accessible from the outside but not connected to the base except via some fortifications. Behind the fortifications is a pump stack leading to the aquifer.  Goblins enter walkway, I set off cave-ins at my discretion timing for maximum damage.  Goblins get killed, knocked down into the little chamber. (Due to frozen booze and FB extract mess, they get hit with boiling everything as well, can't really tell if FB syndrome takes hold though :) When there are a couple in there I let the water out and either freeze or drown them, depending if they get washed out into the sunlight or or sealed in the bubble of ice that exits into the sunlight (and thus drowned). 

3.  Next few goblins fill up a little cave-trap hallway, just to keep the arena stocked. 

Who ever gets through that meets the military. that pretty much wraps up anything
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2010, 05:52:50 am »

I remember my first siege... had only 8 hammer lords at the time, as that's all I could manage in terms of full steel armor, when I hadn't had my magma forges yet. They literally walked outside and raped everything on that map, smashing dozens of goblins halfway across the map until they lay face down in a pool of their own blood.

Feels good man.

This. Steel-clad death machines on patrol.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2010, 06:36:25 am »

So far all my ambushes have ended in lots of dorfs dead leading to doom of my fort. I havent survided to sieges.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Gzalzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Whisper Game Studios
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2010, 04:23:21 pm »

Completely close fortress.
Wait until they get bored and leave.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2010, 08:11:32 pm »

Armok! That's no fun!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

ch00beh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2010, 08:49:52 pm »

An update on the one way hatches: trolls destroy them thus removing both paths into the maze. :(

I had to destroy a siege by releasing 30 legendary warrirors out the front door. The mess was ridiculous, so I'm working on a pipe to dump magma on my front lawn. 

CaptRory

• Bay Watcher
  • One manly, dwarvenly, Mr. Saturn
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2010, 09:37:20 pm »

Based on my very first siege from today:

1) Hit the "INSIDE!" alarm sending all my civilians inside in theory, where in practice ends with several civilians dying, usually valuable ones, in my courtyard.

2) Order my soldiers to assemble in their barracks/training rooms and have several over-zealous or unlucky soldiers get gang-slaughtered outside.

3) The drawbridge raises just in time for me to have to hurridly lower it to try and save one of my two weaponsmiths who dies halfway through the drawbridge being lowered.

4) Send out my remaining military, I only lost two or three soldiers, to crush the goblins. Which works. Between the three goblins that fell into my cage traps and the dozen or so my dwarves killed or wounded they ran for the hills.

5) Exit without saving so I can play it through a few times to work out all the bugs so I know what I'm doing for next time.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2010, 11:47:57 pm »

Recall my citizens into my fortress (Designed so that most major stockpiles/amenities are still accessable by citizens even when restricted), and let my cage traps take care of the rest. Add the victims of the traps to my Gobbo/Kobold prison deep within the mines.
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2011, 12:00:33 am »

I tend to have my whole below ground fort as a burrow, so I order my squads to the courtyard, and the peasents underground.  I attempt to avoid casualties with liberal usage of stone fall and weapon traps, and if anyone, ANYONE even the usless peasent gets trapped outside I send my military to save him, even if alot of my military die in the process, otherwise I wait for them to get close, unleash a ton of war animals, along with mines I've made (support holding up a few squares of flooring high above the map,) and send out the army in the ensueing chaos, usually the goblins are so scattered and distracted by the animals and mines, that the dwarves never lose a man, since they tend to stay tight.
Nom nom nom

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2011, 07:03:37 am »

My only entrance is a bridge over a volcano with no lava in it, so I just open and close it to thin out sieges and have my military take out survivors.  There are more bridges across the volcano lower down in z-level, so I can seal those if necessary.  It's always fun to go frame by frame watching the goblins and their various pets fall to their doom in the magma sea.

MahrinSkel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2011, 09:11:41 am »

Wait for invaders to walk into the courtyard before the long hallway filled with maxed out Giant Steel Axe Blade/Serrated Steel Disc traps (about 30 of them) built by a Legendary Mechanic.  Pull The Lever that closes the doors behind them, leaving the only exit another hallway similarly filled (but shorter).  Watch body parts fly around as invaders try to rush the meatgrinder (one Goblin made it to the Fortress proper.  Well, sort of, his head bounced all the way in).  Watch the laggards try to retreat through the other hallway.  Watched one or two "survivors" use their remaining limbs to slowly drag themselves to the edge of the map, to serve as a warning to the others.

I suppose that eventually I could get rushed by enough to clog all the traps.  But after a while they seemed to give up, haven't even seen a Kobold thief or Goblin snatcher in a while.  Surprisingly, in the last wave one Troll stayed in the courtyard, I thought he must be stunned or something, but he killed the wardogs that went after him.  So I sent in the Militia, which stood in the hallway and fired crossbows at him until he finally dropped.

--Dave

moisesjns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2011, 12:05:22 pm »

i have never had a siege :( i want one badly i do get lots of ambushes and zombie camels trying to come in to my base normally they set off my one layer of cage traps before coming across bridge, then i send my one squad of legendary  swords and spears and armor users to kill them all off, this squad has killed 3 forgoten beast and countess amount of goblins and zombies they named 2 of their weapons so far.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2011, 12:21:58 pm »

Drawbridges. Repeater.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2011, 02:06:59 pm »

Accidentally embark on an area where there is no goblin contct, or no contact all.

I do this every time. Why can't the good river/volcano embarks be closer to the mainland?

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2011, 05:22:30 pm »

1) pull the lever to bring up the drawbridge
2) station a dorf to pull levers and mobalise millatery.
3) lower and raise bridge untill gobbos are within archer range of the entrance keep
4) rain death down untill they go away or out of amno -i have alot of amno, since i have a constant bone supply from animals and caged cavern beasts, i dont think ill run out-
5) send melle men out to clean up.

if from caverns: another squad is stationed down their for that purpose and im working on cage trap rigging the majority of the caverns as i go.

i have 30 soldiers. 18 are melle, 12 are marks -organised into groups of 6 and 4 respectivly- and their usualy equiped with masterwork silver weapons untill i can find better materials or import some steel.

My front fort is a kind of keep about 12 x levels high from base to towers. it has a sloping roof and the 20 millatery that call it home train their so as not to get tunnel adaption. currently working on another bigger keep above my main hall - i dug a pipe the size of the hall down to the fort main hall and floored it over so it was light yet inside, so no tunnel adaption - this one i plan to fill with mechanisms for GCS silk farming in the future when i catch more. -only have 1 atm- and to house the silk clothing industry. i may eventualy enginear it to be a second way in when the invaders have no archers in their groups. for maximum GCS entrance fun.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5