Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Computer monitor problem  (Read 522 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Computer monitor problem
« on: December 28, 2010, 03:07:42 pm »

I've had a Dell UltraSharp 2209WA monitor since last May and have had no problems with it at all. The Thursday before Christmas I turned it on and instead of the usual white text I got a load of vertical white and black lines. I left it running for about half an hour and the picture slowly returned. I figured it must be because it was a cold day. This morning I turned it on and it was fine but suddenly the lines appeared again and also my laptop's screen works fine so I'm now wondering if it really is the cold. It's still not working now.

One weird thing is that I can tell what is supposed to be on the screen; when the Windows 7 loading screen comes up the lines are in the centre and have the same colours as the loading screen. If I move my mouse around I can tell where in the x axis it is as the colours of the lines change. I'm pretty sure it's not my graphics card as the menus for the monitor don't come up either.

Has anyone experienced similar to this before and is there any advice you can give? I want to avoid sending it back if I can as I dislike all that waiting.

Cheers.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Computer monitor problem
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 05:49:07 pm »

Sounds like one of your pins might be loose.

Tighten up the connections, if that doesn't fix it, try getting a spare monitor cable and switching out.  See if that works.

If you don't have a spare, "borrow" one from a friend.  He need not know.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 03:27:09 am »

I've tried tightening the connections with no luck. I won't be able to try another cable until the weekend.

The only thing that makes me doubt it being the connections is that I get the same problem when only my monitor is turned on; I can tell when the "turning to standby mode" message comes up. The other thing is that the on screen menus don't work.

Cheers for the advice. I'm still waiting for a reply from the people I bought it off.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 04:08:01 am »

probably an internal connection is loose.

if it's on warranty, get it fixed.

if it's not, and you don't feel like getting a new one just yet, give it a sharp smack on the side. that should shake things around enough for the connection to come back.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 03:04:12 pm »

Luckily it's under warranty and I have UK and EU laws/rights allowing me to return it long after the warranty runs out.

Looks like I'll not have access to my PC over my weeks holiday; I wanted to get some things done using it too.