Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: Wooddipped, an Elven Succession Game!  (Read 21557 times)

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wooddipped, an Elven Succession Game
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 08:20:56 am »

Did you add the new jobs post-worldgen?
I'm pretty sure changes to the entity raws don't take effect until you gen a new world.

Yep, you're right. And, as you can see, I ended up having to generate a new world. Thankfully, it actually came out better than the last. The one catch (my fault, sorry) is that this world lacks dwarves, which means relying on human caravans for certain supplies. Not to worry, though- the game automatically starts us off with a couple of picks, which we will cherish and guard with our lives, and which will no doubt become the symbol of office for our future leaders.

Oh and could I get some type of military leader, bowsman for my man?   Hunter maybe for the embark group, then when it's my turn I'll set up military.

Would you like to be our Guardian?

With that said, would you mind naming an elf after me? Preferably a butcher and/or bone carver. I'd like to take a turn, but, what with college and all, I really doubt I'd have the time.
V :-\ V

Well, maybe next time, or later on in your semester, then? From the couple of test plays I've done, I can say that "Elf Forest" tends to be much simpler, if no less difficult, than Dwarf Fortress. The game is still engaging, because you have to constantly keep an eye out for all the dangers you face on the surface, and instead of redirecting miners and mason, you have your busy-busy herbalist and carpenters to order around. In general though, it is a little less work than the regular game.

I'll add you as an elf, nonetheless. :)
--------
Spring has come to Alisawamiwi. The Thinning Ice recedes at last, and from the tundra come the throngs of goblins that winter had entombed. The Elder Jungle has become a ravaged battlefield for their kind and the men of the Empty Shores, a battle that we too once fought, but no more. The trees have withered, the grasses do not return, and even something in the seasons has changed. No longer can we hear His voice. Only Her call beckons and guides us now.

"How shall we leave the lost road..?"

Now it's time to vote on our embark location. Just choose the one that you prefer and post!  (Hint: Pick one of the good ones ;))

KEY:
- Defensibility = Strategic value of the site.
- Accessibility = Distant of important resources from the most defensible (potential village) locations. Sites with better Accessibility are less likely to suffer from starvation and dehydration during sieges.
- Resources = Approximate measure of the quantity of resources.
- Enemy Distance = Site's distance from... enemies.

The Jungle of Webbing, Taiga

"Take caution and cross the lands of men to the west. There awaits a another winter haven, and with it many a trial to be overcome. Let faith and courage be your warmth."

Defensibility: Average
Accessibility: Very Poor (frozen water, vegetation covered in snow)
Resources: Average (Trees are a little sparse for a forest biome)
Distance from Enemies: Average

This is not the ideal location, but I wanted to give players the option of a Taiga. Although the elevation very high, it is likely that the brook is frozen all year-round, except during the middle of summer. Worse yet, during vegetation will be covered in snow and inaccessible. To survive here, it will be necessary to carefully ration plants for brewing and craft plenty of arrows (from what I've seen it takes elves about 5-15 arrows per kill, and each piece of wood is 3 arrows). Even still....

On the bright side, there could be sasquatches. :P

The Forest of Grooving, Temperate Broadleaf-Conifer Forest

"Hope lay with the tribes of the Odorous Root. Join them in the Forest of Grooving, and take refuge from what is to come."

Defensibility: Average
Accessibility: Average
Resources: Excellent (lava and lots of vegetation and big game)
Distance from Enemies: Average

This is a site with everything we need, and maybe a little more. The volcano on the southeastern edge of the map could actually be useful, aside from treating as the incarnation of our Spirit and holding ritual sacrifices and sparring matches above. Nearby pools could be channeled to create obsidian. While Masonry is disabled, I've discovered that it is possible to re-enable and just about anything else using Dwarf Therapist. Normally, this would be against the rules- however, with the Aztecs and other more primitive native mesoamericans in mind, this would seem like a reasonable exception.

Please avoid using Masonry for anything else, if we choose this embark.

And for the love of Her, don't channel lava into the river valley! It's sacrilegious! >:(

The Banded Jungles, Tropical Broadleaf-Conifer Forest

"Make haste at twilight, for the darkness will swiftly follow after. The only asylum that remains at this late hour of the world is to be found at its furthest corner, a sun-bathed land where none but the forgotten have tread."

Defensibility: Excellent
Accessibility: Excellent
Resources: Above Average (There are a few less trees than in the Forest of Grooving, probably due to the steeper slopes)
Distance from Enemies: Average (I initially that that the only goblins were to the far south, but as it turns out, there are more a moderate distance to the east)

A steep, flat and well-vegetated groups of plateaus rise from the humid rain forest. Atop one of these are a couple of murky pools and one of the two rivers than intersect here, pouring into a lake surrounded by cliffs below. Almost constant rainfall mitigates the effects of evaporation, making the pools more reliable for fishing than in other regions. While this area may not have magma, it is probably our immediate best chance at survival and the easiest one to utilize... provided that the goblins don't arrive from behind us. That would be too much Fun.

The Hill of Sullying, Terrifying Tropical Grassland-Neutral Tropical Forest

Defensibility: Good
Accessibility: Average - Below Average
Resources: Average (One thing to be said for this map is that there is no shortage of elf-accessible stone for mechanisms)
Distance from Enemies: Poor (aside from goblins, mind the occasional incessant packs of wandering zombie warthogs, skeletal cheetahs, and possibly werewolves. Did I mention Tigermen?)

Northeast of the brook the land immediately slopes upward in a flat-topped hill. There are several overhangs at lower levels that would make suitable village locations as well. In spite of the erratic zombie presence, the western side of the map has plenty of living animals to make use of. If players prefer, we can move it further into the grassland for an even more eventful game.

By the way, I am thinking that if we can't find two more active players by the first, we should just go ahead with who we have. Smaller games are not such a bad thing, anyhow.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 08:07:53 pm by Ibid Straydrink »
的 am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wooddipped, an Elven Succession Game!
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2010, 09:49:54 am »

You do know that currently obsidian can be used for swords only, don't you? (unless modded somehow)

Edit: By the way in my last post I meant it's real pain to get archers shooting in the archery range (and I doubt there'll be enough animals for everyone to shoot at when you'll have more than a couple of soldiers)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 09:54:05 am by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 10:24:56 am »

I'd go for either the Forest of Grooving or the Banded Jungles.  I already have an idea for our defense.  Recap: Are we allowed to build rising bridges, or are mechanisms just for cagetraps/stonetraps/trading?

TALLPANZER

• Bay Watcher
  • entity_TALLPANZER.txt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 11:42:23 am »

Forest of Grooving.
"So while a handful of psychopaths in lab coats are turning Japan into a land of mythological beasties to bang, the USSA's drowning in stupidity, China doesn't exist anymore, and Canada's just sitting there waiting for all this shit to blow over so they can go back to being Canada. Oh, and South Korea think they're Zerg now." <-Slag explains fallout in a nutshell

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 12:17:53 pm »

I vote you try and find another one, Sinister Forest.  With a river, and possibly slopes.  What's better then fighting ogres, harpies, and undead with wooden weapons?
Nom nom nom

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 04:42:08 pm »

I have an idea, if it's not too late.

Instead of using lye and tallow for soap, why not golden salve?
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 05:09:52 pm »

You do know that currently obsidian can be used for swords only, don't you? (unless modded somehow)

Edit: By the way in my last post I meant it's real pain to get archers shooting in the archery range (and I doubt there'll be enough animals for everyone to shoot at when you'll have more than a couple of soldiers)

Elves can use swords spears, and bows by default.

I hadn't been aware of the Archery range bug. Aside from live training and keeping our fingers crossed during ambushes, the only work-around that comes to mind is alternating between active hunters. After each hunter reaches a certain skill level in Bowman, we can "retire" him to full warrior status and let a less experienced hunter take his place. It's slow of course, which is why we have spearmen and swordsmen as well.

I already have an idea for our defense.  Recap: Are we allowed to build rising bridges, or are mechanisms just for cagetraps/stonetraps/trading?

The only reason I enabled mechanics is so that elves could use cage traps and stone-traps, which I felt shouldn't require "mechanisms" at all. Trading mechanisms is fine. If it doesn't bother anyone, I think it's reasonable to allow wooden levers for bridges, considering that the alternative is removing the floor before the enemies get to close, which is never a very solid plan.

To clarify, nothing else that depends on pressure points or levers, creates power, or is clearly over-advanced (paved roads, reservoirs, etc.) is allowed. Dirt roads and wooden doors and stairs are fine. Mining is for gathering stone, primitive channeling, and removing ramps.

I vote you try and find another one, Sinister Forest.  With a river, and possibly slopes.  What's better then fighting ogres, harpies, and undead with wooden weapons?

I know how you feel. I checked, but there are none on this map. There are some terrifying hills to the east of the banded jungle, however. We could have another embark that incorporates both, though the reason I didn't originally is because I figured it would be enough of a challenge being, well, elves.

I'll upload that embark within an hour, kilakan, and we can see if it suits your fancy.

I have an idea, if it's not too late.

Instead of using lye and tallow for soap, why not golden salve?

This is a good idea, but since it requires that I edit the entity_default again, it is sadly too late.

Banded Jungles: 1
Forests of Grooving: 1
New World with evil forests: 1

The journey begins in two days.

EDIT: New embark location added!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 02:34:24 am by Ibid Straydrink »
的 am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2010, 02:11:33 am »

My vote is for The Banded Jungles.
No aquifer means easier stone, and it only has slightly less resources. It has 'excellent' accessibility and defensibility. I'm sure we can cover the south up with something.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2011, 01:38:29 am »

Game starts tomorrow! Anyone who hasn't joined or voted but would like should do so now!

Oh, and I suppose I get to vote too..? Hrm..... Banded Jungles.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2011, 04:04:22 am »

Alright then, since no one has shown any interest, I am taking the first turn. I should have something posted later today, and will have finished up by the 3rd. Wish me luck!

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2011, 04:24:28 am »

Not signing up for a turn, but following this closely. Don't entirely trust myself not to mess up normal fortresses, not even going over the horrors of constrained challenges,
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2011, 12:31:17 pm »

ohh yes, so voting for the last one, and maybe moving one block towards the undead zone?
Nom nom nom

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 07:02:25 am »

Dually noted, kilakan. Banded Jungle wins out, however (Sorry, I know you really could have gone for the evil hills.) I've started the game, and will finish up and post tomorrow. I know, I'm a little later than I said I would be- but no worries, I am here! :)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2011, 01:16:59 pm »

hahah I know it would, maybe I'll steal your mod and play it out in an undead forest myself later.
Nom nom nom

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 04:04:47 am »

Now, no one gave any preference for gender, so I based the selection of elves mostly on skills. You made your beds, now lay in them! Possibly with each other.

Ibideedlit - Keeper/Woodcrafter (female)
Kilakan - Guardian/Hunter (male)
Muffin - Healer (female)
Panzer - Cook/Herbalist (male)
Backgroundguy - Carpenter/Bowyer (male)
Guy with no talent and severe complexes- Carpenter/Woodcutter (male)
Other guy with no talent whatsoever - Fisherman/Fishcleaner (male)

Others will be added as the appropriate migrants arrive. Also, upon discovering that our homeland does not have access to vermin-hunting foxes, I have added the same tag to raccoons. Hopefully, everything will go smoothly. That said...

And lo, the promised land- a wooded paradise that makes no geographic sense!

By the voice of Rifa, we have come at last to the precipice that overlooks these Wooddipped lands! 'Twas an arduous journey, and a thousand trials and tribulations lay ahead, but for now, we have peace!

Or not.

As Guide, our people have declared me first Chieftess of this year 2012, on this first day of a new age for the people of the Ponderous Song, and I have accepted the mantle of Keeper no less. As my first act, it is my leafy honor to appoint Kilakan as our noble, Guardian, whose responsibility alone are the flesh-rending, fang-gnashing, elf-grinding beasts of the dark, turgid rivers below. Armed with our sharpest ancestral sticks, I am sure this task will present no difficulty for a warrior such as he.

Hrm... but before this is done, it may be wise to settle our new home. After scouting the steppes below, it is agreed that the plateau of our arrival is best, Ritha be praised. We will build a short distance from the water, with fear and respect for what may lurk in the reeds of the river bank. When the first huts have been raised and our stores dug out, wooden fortifications will be built along the southern border to repel invaders and wandering beasts, and in time we may dig away the slopes to the forest below. Wooddipped will be a haven against all danger!

9th of Granite

A small store has been dug and all of the food moved inside. Together we have begun to raise the first hut, while Panzer and Background Guy clear the area of brush. All have shown their concern toward the more fierce of creatures with whom we share this home. For that concern, I have suggested that our huts be built atop stilts, and with hatches, as it is well-known that some creatures in these lands, such as gibbons and elephants, may climb.

8th of Slate

All has been peaceful without much event, though work on the first hut is not yet finished. We also find ourselves
in the midst of a serious vermin problem, worsened by the disinterest of our raccoons...

12th of Slate

Clouds burst and a torrent of water is let loose over the low-lying lands. While the sudden downpour seems to have solved our vermin problem for the time being, yet the roof of our hut is not yet finished, and we are drenched. We endure the rains, our spirits only slightly dampened.

23rd of Slate

The first rains have cleared, and our hut is finished. As the earth is still moist, we have begun digging out a second store, this one for our precious tools and materials. To the south, we have begun raising a long wall. I would much like to believe it unnecessary, seeing how we have known nothing but peace and quiet for the past three months, but we do better to err on the side of caution.

13th of Felsite

We grow weary of holing up in our hut when the rains come, venturing out only to brave the the storm for the food in our stores. Thus, work on a grand hut, and dining hall has begun above the stores. When this is finished, it will be
connected to the first hut by a wooden walkway, and in time, more.

Summer has come. None of those who were to follow in our footsteps have arrived yet. We pray to Ritha that the worst has not already come, and hope that they may arrive soon.The wall is nearly completed now. Backgroundguy has spent many days fetching, and by his craftsmanship Kilakan has begun to hunt again.

Ritha guide is arrows!

27th of Hematite

What is it..? Something has been sighted on the outskirts of the village!?

Rifa save us! Elephants are upon us! It appears that the beasts were driven to rage when Kilakan slew one of their clan- no matter, we accept your challenge, beasts!

Good shot, Guardian! Take that, fell beast!

A blessing in disguise. Kilakan fells three elephants without taking so much as a scratch, and the food stores are piled high with elephant flesh- and just in time- the first migrants have arrived!

26th of Malachite

Bklalo Abymukifino - An adequate brewer, just as Panzer.
Cyce Saliameli - A novice woodworker.
Esome Alinocereni - A modest cook.

The three set out not long after our own party, and could tell us very little of the forests to the south that we did not already know. Even here, we can smell the scent of war on the winds. Nevertheless, we rejoice to have more of our brothers and sisters among us! They will lend their hands to help us raise the dining hall.

16th of Limestone

Vermin! Vermin everywhere, and it is beginning to weigh the spirits. It doesn't help that we've run out of spirits, either. Panzer has been gathering fruits and herbs prodigiously, but after Kilakan's three elephant killing-spree, we simply don't have enough barrels. I've requested that Ova expand the village stores, and Backgroundguy is hard at work building more. Herewith, we will be sure to keep a good supply of wine.

Having contented himself sated the tribe's need for food for the winter to come, Kilikan has taken up bonecarving as a pastime, until his skills as a hunter are needed again.

2nd of Sandstone

Flocks of foreign birds take to the sky to herald the coming of winter to this warm place. The wall is nearly finished. With plenty of food and shelter, it is time to fortify our new home. The the long work of steepening the cliffs north of the huts has begun. Backgroundguy has been asked to begin construction of a bridge near the cliff-side lake. When all is done, the southern side of the plateau will be reachable at only by our willingness.

23rd of Sandstone

The Guardian has spotted creatures he calls "tigermen" on the plateau to the west of the ravine. While we should be cautious of these beast-men, he assures me they cannot reach us here.

24th of Sandstone

An unexpected but welcome surprise greets us this day- five migrants have arrived from Alisawamiwi:

Lafy Tharamapari, a weaver.
Mame Ulalelu, a clothier.
Thaci Yarareeni, an herbalist.
Thone Lorkmimi, who has become Muffin's apprentice.
Alala Vaficerana, another woman (finally)

11th of Timber

It is done! Backgroundguy has finished the bridge, and I would dare the siamangs to climb those cliffs. Wooddipped will be safe through the winter. Muffin has brought forth concern for the need for a medicine hut, and I agree. Work on the healer's hut begins.

2nd of Moonstone

The healer's hut has been completed, though it is not yet furnished. As the winds change with the season, there the air of the village is filled with contentment. Much remains to do be done, it is true,  but we are not so pressed as we were in the spring. May a fair winter greet us.

3rd of Opal

While sifting through the debris for arrowheads at a nearby cliffside, Eslome unearthed an ominous, faintly blue stone. Many are the tales of such accursed fragments of earth, some even say that they were the greatest downfall of the stunted peoples. Realizing what it was, I immediately ordered it cast into the lake below, lest the curse of the microline befall us all. Ritha watch over our people.

11th of Opal

As several of ours were working to expand the resting hut, a wrong step caused the floor the come tumbling down upon Cyce the carpenter and a poor donkey! Thank Ritha, Cyce suffered only bruises, and Muffin insists he will will be well after a few days of rest. The donkey, however was not so fortunate, but fortunately, delicious.

After investigating the debris, it seems that a lack of support may have been the cause for the collapse. We must be more careful!

8th of Obsidian

Winter, though hardly what we are used to, is nearly over. The expansion of the resting hut has finally been completed, which could now host more than the number who dwell among us now.

19th of Obsidian

While gathering plants from the slopes beyond the village, Panzer discovered a kobold thief, who quickly fled Kilakan and his trusty battle grizzly. This may not bode well- it is only a matter of time until our peaceful refuge is revealed to the outside world and all her perils...

1st of Granite

Wooddipped emerges into its second spring with hope and perseverance. This was a quiet year for the most part, and now that we are settled, we will have fewer difficulties with the essentials in the years to come. However, the kobold intrusion has left many deeply concerned, and I cannot help but feel as though a shadow may overhang us now... no, all will be well. Wooddipped will thrive...

My time as Chieftess has passed. May Ritha guide the next who presides over our people.

DOWNLOAD:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3646

File contains the entire Dwarf Fortress. I uploaded it this way because I have seen problems with graphics transfers, in spite of clearing the folder, and because of the editions to a couple of objects folders and the init data (for population caps) I made. If it's a problem, I can upload the files individually.

NOTES:
- Two streams converge here to create a river, and divide the map into three segments. The two western segments are relatively small, and currently inaccessible (no bridge.) Migrants and kobolds seem to appear from the eastern segment, probably in the north, fortunately not behind us as I had anticipated.
- The village is set atop a plateau surrounded by a nice little palisade to the south and east, a river (not brook) to the west, and cliffs to the north.
- There are presently two entrances into the village: a bridge at the distant northern end of the plateau, and a wooden platform with a hatch directly north of the village. By default, the bridge is retracted. I built the lever for the bridge on the friendly side of a wall at its base because it seemed to dwarfy to have a lever connected to something far away, but you don't have to follow my example. Feel free to replace the bridge with a drawbridge, which may be more useful. In times of war, just lock the hatch and nothing will be able to enter from below. The idea of having two entrances is to be able to enter or leave the village during sieges, whatever the need may be.
- Our military is virtually non-existent; it consists of Kilakan and a (albeit nasty) bear.
- Our population is a measly 16, and no caravans have arrived yet (there is no home caravan, at least not without meeting a wealth requirement.) I think we need to start crafting! Luckily, there are plenty of bones, shells, and even a little ivory for it.
- We are doing pretty well on food and prepared meals, but watch the amount of plants we have. May want to disable the elves from cooking them, and reserve them for drinks.
- I haven't gotten around to setting traps yet, but there are some mechanisms laying about.
- Morale is good overall. Elves seem pretty slow to form bonds with others.
- FPS hovering around 74, but it's a pretty big map and my graphics card is terrible.
-Raccoons don't hunt vermin, either because I edited the objects file after starting the game (you shouldn't need to generate a new world for object edits to take effect), or because they have the PET_EXOTIC tag, and we don't have a whisperer yet. We can always buy cats from humans, though.
- Um, workshops are just lying about under the huts, with no particular order. Eventually, they need to go inside, but for those who aren't familiar with the process and amount of time it takes amidst other tasks, don't underestimate the management involved in constructing a room your dwarves could mine out in ten seconds.  :-\

Enjoy, Kilikan.

Keep us posted. :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 04:23:33 pm by Ibid Straydrink »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18