Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pros and cons of idle dwarves.  (Read 4896 times)

L0master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pros and cons of idle dwarves.
« on: December 28, 2010, 11:52:26 am »

Up to now I used to think that i do something wrong if a have idle dwarves. So i used to pause the game often and assing new labors via Dwarf Therapist. But now I realize that idle dwarves actually not so idle. They socialize, make friends, marry and make children. Which contributes to their happiness and the fortress after all.

How do you deal with idle dwarves?
Number of kills: 15
 dog: 1
 your mother: 14

Soapalope

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Soaper
    • View Profile
Re: Pros and cons of idle dwarves.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 11:53:49 am »

Magma.
FB: I was thinking Facebook. Oh well, I guess killing a Forgotten Beast is cool too.
Note to self: Devise methods of dropping Liaisons down pits during meetings. Yell, "THIS IS SPAARRTAAAAA..." at my monitor.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 12:06:03 pm »

I assign some to a squad and let them do individual training at the barracks while they're idle.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 12:07:51 pm »

The cons: They throw parties (if you have a room suitable for that) they make friends, get married, and have children

The pro: you'll never have to wait long before a pull lever order is carried out
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 12:10:11 pm »

I assign some to a squad and let them do individual training at the barracks while they're idle.
This, pretty much. Random encounters with crundles wont be as fatal.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 12:19:28 pm »

Be careful with the socializing, too. It is not too problematic if it is someone who is generally doing something relatively safe (as safe as an activity can be in that game, anyway) or that you pretty much intend to keep alive. However, soldiers making friends is bad. If the soldier dies, their friends will be unhappy. If the soldier's friends die, he will be unhappy, and if he goes berserk while holding his equipment... well, you don't want that. Tantrum spirals happen because dwarfs are allowed to get friends, and accidents happen often.

Other than that... well, at least, idle dwarfs have a chance of cleaning stuff and feed patients/prisoners when they need the food/water and not after they're dehydrated.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 12:52:59 pm »

I seem to always have at least half my fort idle at any one time, unless I queue up a mass-dump operation or make a new stockpile. Then I get a huge mob of dwarves shuffling along to grab something and move it somewhere else. For example, due to personal insanity I'm slowly digging out, layer by layer, a 41-tile-to-a-side cube underground, to construct a sphere in for my own enjoyment, its purpose to be determined later. Needless to say this has produced a LOT of stone (over 4000 units of schist alone). Luckily the entrance to the dig site is not four tile away from some decoratively exposed magma, and schist is certainly not magma-safe. IN IT GOES! And now I have no less than 70 dwarves pushing and shoving the hurl their boulder into the Earthsblood.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 12:54:51 pm »

I rather like having my dwarves party, and slap the bar wenche's butt, and drink themselves silly, and get married and have children. I also like that friendships cause grief when someone dies, because it makes a penalty for letting dwarves die and puts the onus on the player to keep them alive.

Be that as it may, one significant benefit from not employing 100% is that jobs can get done instead of being backlogged. Dwarves will pull levers, clean up stains, and be available for assorted little jobs. I like having a buffer of maybe 20% of the workforce while the fort is young.

Once the fort gets to 80-100 dwarves, then mostly the dwarves that arrive simply don't have jobs to do.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 01:03:23 pm »

Idle dwarves are dwarves who can help drag in all the Goblinite that results from a siege without any work being stalled as a result.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 01:09:12 pm »

For some reason my 80 man fort dont have more then 4 idlers at any time. dunno how you guys manage to get yours going with such turtlic pace  :o
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 01:12:00 pm »

Be that as it may, one significant benefit from not employing 100% is that jobs can get done instead of being backlogged. Dwarves will pull levers, clean up stains, and be available for assorted little jobs. I like having a buffer of maybe 20% of the workforce while the fort is young.
I agree.  When a lever needs pulling, it usually needs to happen ASAP!

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 01:55:24 pm »

Idle dwarfs don't path anywhere so that's saving FPS. I get significant drop in the speed when order some mass dump. As for friendship thing, I just designate a 100x100 meeting area.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 02:19:27 pm »

idle dwarves clean, pull levers, and get shit done when I need it.  They also take care of wounded.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 02:26:01 pm »

Mass dumping. That is all.

Qracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 02:37:05 pm »

Idle Dwarves lead to tantrum spiral FUN.  I suppose that's a pro :D