Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Archangel's Werewolf: Canceled  (Read 4200 times)

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archangel's Werewolf (4/9) Sign up now! Read the damn rules first though!
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 04:04:28 am »

OK, answers:
Various problems / why people probably aren't joining your game:

For reference, I'm not trying to be mean.  I'd love it if there were more active games.  But you have a few things that need to be addressed.
I don't mind, and what you said doesn't feel malicious.

First, there aren't that many active players right now. Even games from well established mods are taking a while to fill.

Roles:

There are too many powerroles with no indication if this will be close to Paranormal (almost everyone gets a role) or Mountainous. 
OK. I think this'll be very role heavy.

The Watchman and the Doctor are essentially the same thing except the Doctor can save lynchees. That's generally not a good idea.
Really? *Checks* You're right. I had it in my mind that Watchman was a Bodyguard and Doc was, well, a Doc. I'll go fix the list.

The Blind Man 'cannot cry out when killed' except no one can unless Last Words gets chosen. In addition, he can apparantly can read the Wolves' quicktopic.  Which will basically make the Wolves shut up except for minimal interaction.
I already was thinking of removing it entirely, so I'll do that for now, possibly permanently.

'Optional roles' imply that all 8 of the other roles will be in the game, is this true?  You don't clarify if the Lovers know each other, if a Lover can be a Werewolf, and how you're going to enforce them having to agree on lynchings.
These things are due to copy-pasting Squeegy's rules. I'll fix them all. Sidekick and Nurse will be moved into the role list and the Optional Roles spoiler will be renamed. What's the term for fings what ya get in addition to yer role?
Lovers will both be Town, know each other (It would be stupid any other way), and have their own Quicktopic. I'll get rid of that agree-on-lynch thing.

Rules:

The Werewolves choose one person to kill 'the werewolves don't know who the other werewolves are'. How are you going to enforce this?
Each werewolf has their own kill. It's right there in the rules. I'll make it more explicit, and add that if a werewolf tries to kill a wolf on their side (This means that if Factions is in effect, a wolf attacking an enemy will still kill), the the kill fails, the victim gets told the name of his attacker, and two get a Quicktopic. Phrased more simply of course.

Infectious says that you'll reduce the number of Werewolves to 1 or 2, but there will already be only 2... Essentially turning it from a traditional Mafia game to one with a Cult, which are generally much harder.  How will further infections be decided?  Does the game end when the originals are lynched are do all the infected Villagers have to be lynched?
I'll make it so the initial wolf or wolves are the only ones who can infect.

What happens if a Saint/Prophet is lynched?
Random person voting for them is killed. Again, I'll add this to the post.

For that matter, why do you even have the struck through items in your list?  Just remove them...
Laziness. Some of the things on the list won't fit with the planned flavour for this game but, assuming this one actually starts and finishes, will appear in later games, the others I'm not sure if I'll keep. I'll remove 'em for now.

After OP:

If you don't vote, you don't get in.
Sorry, but I don't want to have to chase people to get their vote. Just donkey vote or pick at random or something if you don't care.
Not the attitude that will probably convince people to play your game.
:-[ Yeah, you're right. This is the same sort of this as shop assistants' attitudes: a cheerful, ready-to-help assistant is likely to encourage customers, whereas one with a "Meh, whatever." attitude will drive them away.

*Cough cough*
I remember this being a problem the first time Squeegy ran his version.
Which reminds me. In order to prevent this from dieing like SW II&III, when this starts, I'll make a new thread and keep this open as a "bug the mod if he fails to end the Night" topic. Or use this one for the game and make another one for mod bugging.
If the mod fails to keep the game moving, then the game deserves to die. If you don't think you can run the game and keep it more or less on schedule, don't.
I will keep this going. I meant that only as a precaution and I should have said so.

Basically, it's "No bah posts unless Last Words is in effect." I'm using a slightly, or possibly not at all (I can't remember now), modified version of Squeegy's rules this time. I'll likely make changes next time I run this, but I need to see how well it works first.
For there to be a next time, there has to be a first time. This has already died in signups at least once. Also, why is that a rule variant?
Another thing to blame on copy-pasting Squeegy's rules. I'll remove Last Words.

EDIT: It's annoying how almost half the posts in here are mine. It's not like I'm constantly waiting for other people to say something so that I can reply. Come on guys, post more.
What would people talk about? You're in signups. Generally all that happens is people join and wait for the game to start. Doesn't help that your rules don't seem particularly solid.
Yeah, that was merely an expression of annoyance, without offering a solution. So, now I'll give people a reason to post: If you've got a question about the rules, ask it. If you've a problem with them, point it out. If you've a suggestion, speak up.

One last thing: I'm removing Last Words, making a changed version of Know Your Allies available, and wiping votes. Players, please revote ASAP.
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 04:43:21 am »

Nah, why must we vote just to play? I don't like the new Know Your Allies a slightest bit, and none of the other options for that matter. Also, the points JTF brought up are entirely valid - if you're too lazy to remove unused roles and check the remnant for consistence, you shouldn't be a mod. I'm out.

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 05:18:28 am »

Nah, why must we vote just to play?
Think about it. The modes are part of the game, and it's a bad idea to have only some of the players deciding what will be used. I know the game works, the only reason Squeegy's games failed was him. Right now, I've no reason to get rid of them except your stated dislike.

I don't like the new Know Your Allies a slightest bit, and none of the other options for that matter.
Alright, what don't you like about them? Just saying that you don't like them doesn't help, you have to explain the problems.

Also, the points JTF brought up are entirely valid - if you're too lazy to remove unused roles and check the remnant for consistence, you shouldn't be a mod. I'm out.
Many of the problems were because I thought it was otherwise and I forgot to check. I should have put this up for discussion first. As I don't have time to change threads right now, treat this one as such.
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 05:25:05 am »

I don't like the new Know Your Allies a slightest bit, and none of the other options for that matter.
Alright, what don't you like about them? Just saying that you don't like them doesn't help, you have to explain the problems.
Know Your Allies - essentially kills the major point of this variant.
No Lynch is never used.
Factions - too many NKs per night.
God's Wrath - overpowered.

Also, the points JTF brought up are entirely valid - if you're too lazy to remove unused roles and check the remnant for consistence, you shouldn't be a mod. I'm out.
Many of the problems were because I thought it was otherwise and I forgot to check. I should have put this up for discussion first. As I don't have time to change threads right now, treat this one as such.
If you don't have time to even check, how do you expect to have time to mod the game?

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 04:20:21 pm »

Yeah, sorry, this isn't really working too well. Out.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archangel's Werewolf: Canceled
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 11:53:52 pm »

Know Your Allies - essentially kills the major point of this variant.
No Lynch is never used.
Factions - too many NKs per night.
God's Wrath - overpowered.
Can you suggest something better than this and the original "Mayor knows all powerroles" version?
Yeah, I'll get rid of No Lynch as a mode.
In a game of suitable size for Factions, there would already be 3 or 4 werewolves, each of which is able to kill. There are already too many NKs, so would having potential cross-kills cause it to be worse and if so how? I've thought of a couple of things in regards to the too many NKs problem, which I'll put in the discussion thread.
How is God's Wrath overpowered? The Saint is basically a combination of Super Saint and Bomb, both fairly common roles.

If you don't have time to even check, how do you expect to have time to mod the game?
I did have time to check, but I failed to because I thought that the rules were more like they are now. I'll have no problems running the game, but I've failed to prepare properly, so I'm canceling this and putting up a discussion thread. Soonish.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 12:02:36 am by Archangel »
My full sig
Pages: 1 [2]