Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yet more crashing issues  (Read 1066 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Yet more crashing issues
« on: December 27, 2010, 10:21:22 pm »

My computer is crashing, again. While I haven't checked the fans for dirt yet, I'm getting slightly different errors as well. The most recent, after restarting from a crash, at POST, it says something about a problem with the floppy drive - odd since this thing doesn't even have a floppy drive and never has - and then a bad CMOS checksum.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yet more crashing issues
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 07:47:59 pm »

It's started crashing pretty consistently trying to play Nehrim, though it seems to have stopped crashing doing anything else.

According to Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool, I've got some kind of memory problem. Unfortunately, the only thing it says to do is "contact the manufacturer." Seeing as I'm the one who built it, the manufacturer is out of ideas.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 07:52:02 pm »

sounds like you burned up a ram chip, run memtest86+ and see if it makes it through.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 08:04:06 pm »

Problem: A quick search for that(since I didn't find anything like that on my computer) came up with this, but it looks like I need to burn a bootable CD(bootable USB drive says Linux only), which I can't do since I don't have a burner installed.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 08:07:33 pm »

no dude you are looking for memtest86+: http://www.memtest.org/, you don't need. linux it uses linux to run add the installer will put it in your flash drive

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 09:18:02 pm »

It didn't show any errors.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 10:46:49 pm »

ok ruled that out, what kind of graphics card are you using and (if applicable?) is the fan running? my father's old graphics card fan seized up as i was playing oblivion, its possible the thing is overheating causing the crashes to protect itself, also are you getting blue screens or instant black out.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 11:52:35 pm »

If you have two sticks of RAM or more, try pulling them and leaving one in at a time. This should prevent crashes due to defects between the two.

I was shipped two defective sticks with my PC from CyberPower and I was able to get by on 2GB for a couple months until I could buy a matching (warranty covered) set to replace the one.

Check drivers, see if there's any you can update. http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php And use this to see if your computer overheats before it crashes; all computers run at a different temperature during operation, so I can't give you a good estimate of what you *should* be seeing.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 11:55:01 pm by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 11:34:47 am »

It most likely wasn't overheating, since it's crashing shortly after startup. It's also been crashing using Internet Explorer this morning. I opened it up, cleaned out the fans(not really dirty), and checked the RAM sticks. One was clean, but the other had dust along the contact area.

I think I fixed that noisy fan while I was at it. Or broke it. Either way, I don't hear it anymore.

Could be a hard drive issue.

EDIT: Nehrim stopped crashing my computer, but now it just GPFs or stops responding.
EDIT2: Wow, Combat Arms just GPFed, which it never has done before.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 03:03:53 pm by Akura »

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 03:04:59 pm »

at POST, it says something about a problem with the floppy drive - odd since this thing doesn't even have a floppy drive and never has - and then a bad CMOS checksum.

This makes me think dead CMOS battery... but that shouldn't be causing crashes after boot...

Just how is it crashing? and what OS are you running?
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 07:14:05 pm »

Vista 64-bit, crashes are a blue screen with some error and saying it's creating a memory dump, then either a freeze or restart.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 07:55:04 pm »

Vista 64-bit, crashes are a blue screen with some error and saying it's creating a memory dump, then either a freeze or restart.

hmm... there should be an error code, probably towards the top; have you tried googling it?
if it goes to fast to catch when it happens, it might be recorded in the Event Logger...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch